Learning radio electronics

Status
Not open for further replies.

tdenfuny

Premium Subscriber
Hello. I just passed my general exam. I can articulate things about electronics and components. I can recognize symbols for components on diagrams, but I still lack some deeper understanding. I was wondering if there is a good way to learn a bit more about basic electronics. I have thought about getting a set of components and a breadboard and then playing around, but I don't know if this is helpful in learning.

Does anyone have suggestions for specific kits that can be bought (from Amazon for example) and projects that would help you learn about electronics and radios?

In particular I would like to see some circuits that will help me better understand how inductors and capasitors work.

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
We used a combination of NEETS modules/manuals and a NIDA trainer when I was in the Navy. You can download the NEETS modules online. They are very good at explaining things. Congrats on passing the test.

bharvey2

Studied electronics in both high school and college (degree in Electronics Engineering) As much time was spent in the lab as was spent in the classroom studying theory. A hands on approach is certainly worthwhile. Since it's been over 30 years, I can 't recommend and current Amazon kits. One of the posts recommended some Navy electronics learning modules to start with. That sounds like a good place to begin. Oh, and congratulations on passing your General. Consider it a license to learn!

K7MEM

Hello. I just passed my general exam. I can articulate things about electronics and components. I can recognize symbols for components on diagrams, but I still lack some deeper understanding. I was wondering if there is a good way to learn a bit more about basic electronics. I have thought about getting a set of components and a breadboard and then playing around, but I don't know if this is helpful in learning.

Does anyone have suggestions for specific kits that can be bought (from Amazon for example) and projects that would help you learn about electronics and radios?

In particular I would like to see some circuits that will help me better understand how inductors and capasitors work.

First, congratulation on getting your General.

That's a difficult question because everyone learned a different way. While I did have some formal training in electronics (high school and college), mostly I just read everything I could get my hands on. It was easy for me because there were a lot of radio oriented magazines available. I first got my Novice license in 1965 so there was QST, 73 Magazine, Ham Radio, etc.. 50 years later, I am a retired Electronic Design Engineer, and I still read everything I can get my hands on.

An excellent source of electronic theory is the The ARRL Handbook for Radio Amateurs (ARRL Handbook for Radio Communications). These are pretty pricey books ($50 to $75), if you buy new from the ARRL web site. However, electronic theory doesn't change much over time, so a copy that is a few years old is still useful.

There are always older copies available at every ham fest. You can get a fairly recent copy for $5 to $10, in good condition. You can find ham fests that are close to you by going to the ARRL web site and entering your zip code and radius of search. I usually attend every ham fest that is within 150 mile of my place.

You can also look at Amazon. Amazon has some older copies of the Handbook for reasonable prices. For example, the link below is for a 2013 version of the Handbook on Amazon for only $22.

2014-Handbook-Radio-Communications-Softcover

I have assembled a lot of kits in my time. Kits are great because they contain all the parts you need. But, IMHO, kits don't teach you much, other than how to solder properly. But that is a good thing. There is usually a brief explanation included with the kit, but not enough information to understand all of the components and why they are used a particular way. I found that kits were much more interesting once I understood what all the parts are for.

Martin - K7MEM

ab5r

First, let me congratulate you on our upgrade. Well done!

I'd like to add my two bits to this line of thought. Myself, I learned electronics while in the Navy. BUT, (and that's a BIG BUT), this occurred in 1951 and I am now 82. What I learned then is far far out od date. We learned about tube (Valves to some) and not a thing about solid state.

I'd like to refresh and also learn about solid state electronics, IC's and digital electronics (as best I can).

Keep up with the latest and grow. Congratulations again.

Jerry

k4fv

There are free college level classes available on-line. Learn from the the best. Here's a link to a freshman introduction to electronics class taught by MIT. I have taken several edX courses and they are outstanding. These courses do require a serious time commitment if your goal is to complete the class with a passing grade. You can also chose not to finish and simply learn the material that interests you. The exercises involve simulated circuit building projects using a web interface. Since there's no cost you can't lose.

https://www.edx.org/course/circuits-electronics-1-basic-circuit-mitx-6-002-1x

Last edited:

Rred

No specifics offhand, but last month I stumbled across a US Navy online course designed for naval personnel, to teach basic electronics. The USN has always been very good at that, and since it is free, that might be one specific resource to try finding on the web.

You can also try asking a reference librarian at your local library, they can often borrow (interlibrary loan) materials that they don't have on hand, and that includes a LOT of educational resources.

SCPD

QRT
Welcome to the wonderful world of RF, Tdenfun...:)
You are going to receive a lot of good advice on how to learn the radio arts, but I think it all boils down to experience. Sure you can take any number of academic courses, but this is a hobby for you and its supposed to be fun (I don't think you'd like to sit though one of my microwave theory lectures ;)..) The more you play around with radios the more you will understand what goes on inside them.

Well, I know that is easy to say- Back not so long ago you could build transmitters and receivers out of the insides of an old tube TV set--- you still can, I guess, if you like to work around high voltages. You would learn a lot (especially what not to touch!)..Those days are gone for 99.992% of all hams.... Today everything is IC's, Surface Mount technology-- my goodness!-- a complete microwave transceiver on a single chip, for instance-- and only the designers and the god's know what truly goes on inside it. But most of us that work in this don't care,--- its what we can do with those chips that count, and you should not feel bad for thinking any different for not knowing, either.
That said, where do you go?... First- I would advise you get a good Multimeter,-- you will use it throughout your radio career. Buy a few of the Ramsey kits that Amazon now sells- the ones that interest you-- but buy them as your lab projects-- build them, measure things, change things- study their schematics, dissect them and experiment! If its a transmitter, get an SWR meter and play with antennas, see what effects changing circuits have on how they load to the antenna etc... Don't expect to become an engineer, this is your *Hobby* - have fun with it. At the same time, read all you can get your hands on that interests you-- QST, textbooks, but Read!
Good luck Cowboy :) ! If their is something specific I can help you with, just ask
....................................CF

Last edited:

dsalomon

Premium Subscriber
The best reference book that I had was from my very first electronics course in high school: "Basic Electronics" by Grob. That book has been reprinted many, many times and is still used today as a training tool and reference for beginning basic electronics.

Next, consider how YOU learn best, then decide on the tools to get you there. Are you a visual or an aural learner? Me, if I don't see it, it doesn't sink in. Many people learn when they hear something vs seeing it. Don't waste your money on tools until you know what tools will work well for you.

Like others have said, there are a lot of free online courses available from many universities. I suggest looking at degree plans from a good school, like M.I.T. to get an idea of the progression they recommend for learning starting at beginner level. No course will help you if you try to start with advanced topics before understanding the basics first.

A great place to find radios to practice on is a hamfest. Even though today's technology is very different than 40 years ago (when I first started learning it), a LOT of the basics are still the same. You can pick up an older, dead radio for next to nothing at a hamfest and it can be a great tool for practice. It doesn't even have to be dead, there's nothing stopping you from finding great deals on working sets that no one else wants because they're old technology.

Congratulations on passing your General and good luck with your learning plan. Learning should never stop. Just find the way that works best for you and make it fun.

73 - David, AG4F

nd5y

There are several web sites with the Navy NEETS courses.
NEETS is divided into 24 modules.
Some web sites have it as html web pages and others as .pdf files that you can download.
Some of the web sites have later dated versions of the modules than others.

Some other stuff you can find online in various places are:
U.S. Marine Corps MCRP 3-40.3B Radio Operator's Handbook
U.S. Marine Corps MCRP 3-40.3C Antenna Handbook
U.S. Army Antenna Theory (SC: 25C)
U.S. Army Communications Electronics Fundamentals TC 9-60, TC 9-62, TC 9-64, TC 9-72

Last edited:

N5TWB

I wonder if it would be acceptable and valuable to curate the information/websites provided in this thread into a Wiki page on "Electronics theory resources"?

KJ6NWU

Premium Subscriber
The Navy electronics course is the basis of almost every tech-school electronics program. It is available free on the internet as well as in paperback book form. If you wanted to delve deeper, a bachelors degree in Electrical Engineering will cost you around $75,000.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
The NEETS modules are good for a lot of things, and especially as a reference book.

When using the NEETS and the "3 &2 manual" to study for my advancement exam, I tested in the 98th percentile on a piece of equipment that I had never seen.

Sent via Tapatalk

K3YGX

Gotta say +1 for NEETS --- I studied the modules, treating them like it was new material.....I was surprised at how much I'd forgotten.

They don't just explain how things work, they explain why things work....Last Saturday, I took the Extra Class exam....while I was studying for the test, I was surprised at how much I already knew because of NEETS....

I passed the exam even though I'd like to have aced it, I missed 3 questions, now I am /AE
My next challenge is module 18 for the Ships Radar Endorsement for my GROL

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
I wonder if it would be acceptable and valuable to curate the information/websites provided in this thread into a Wiki page on "Electronics theory resources"?
Good idea.

I've created a Wiki article for this purpose. Feel free to log into the Wiki (using your RadioReference ID) and edit this article to add these resources. If you need help, let me know.

Electronics Learning Resources - The RadioReference Wiki

Status
Not open for further replies.