Monitoring 2m/70cm on my trip

Status
Not open for further replies.

yycwrangler

Hi Everyone

Student studying for my ham. Have a HT which I'm going to attach to a Larsen external antenna while traveling. Heading from Calgary to Moab for 2 weeks and I'm traveling alone so I would like the opportunity to listen to you guys jaw jack/jaw bone (if I'm using the correct slang).

From going onto various sites I see many 2m and 70cm frequencies throughout the areas, I'm going, but I thought I'd ask you guys if you know of state repeater frequencies that cover most of the channels. I'd much rather put in 5-10 state repeaters as opposed to 120 single channel repeaters.

Any thoughts. Would be Montana/Alberta/Wyoming/Utah

Cheers
Al

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
Do you have a smart phone or tablet? If so, download the "Repeaterbook" app. It will find your geographical coordinates and then list all the nearby repeaters by distance no matter where you are.

They have both iOS and Android apps. They're free. https://www.repeaterbook.com/

JnglMassiv

Personally, I'd simply use a scanner to search the bands, particularly if you won't be transmitting. Almost any cheap scanner will do. Your long drive has you going through many 'coverage maps' which you'll have to painstakingly preprogram, toggle through during transit and that will probably be quiet while you're in range, anyway. You'll catch FM simplex with a search, too.

yycwrangler

I'll definitely download that app. Thank you. Scanner would be nice but not looking to spend anymore monies. I figured with a 120 channel bank I could put in a fair bit of channels. I know most HTs scan slow but maybe with luck I'd pick up on a conversation or two.
Maybe I could scan state emergency response channels ( highway patrol, fire etc)

Al

TheSpaceMann

I'll definitely download that app. Thank you. Scanner would be nice but not looking to spend anymore monies. I figured with a 120 channel bank I could put in a fair bit of channels. I know most HTs scan slow but maybe with luck I'd pick up on a conversation or two.
Maybe I could scan state emergency response channels ( highway patrol, fire etc)

Al
You could always bring along an 11 meter radio for traffic reports as well. You might catch some emergency communications on there too, and you could also transmit if the need arises.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø

Al

Many amateur radios will have a scan function that will let you search the entire amateur band. Start at 144 and stop at 148. That's the best way to make sure you hear what's out there.

Also, don't focus on just repeaters. While there are a lot of them out there, you'll also be passing through some fairly remote areas. Don't forget to listen to the simplex frequencies, as well. Often you'll hear stuff on 146.520 (simplex calling channel).

I spent a bunch of time out in Utah last summer. I didn't have an amateur radio, just the work radio, so I couldn't scan/program in stuff on the fly. Most of the time I had the radio sitting on 146.520. Didn't hear a lot, but did occasionally hear some traffic.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
"jaw jack/jaw bone"? I hope that isn't a CB term. Ham radio would be rag chew. Some may have other terms but never heard of jj/jb on HF or other ham bands. I see you didn't take the information provided in your other thread about using a true mobile ham radio. Even with a good antenna, hand helds are a compromise. Overload and noise are more problematic with HH. And with 120 memories, it must be a CCR. So don't expect great performance. I wouldn't say most HH scan slow, but certainly the CCR do. My FT-60R scans the 1000 memories about as fast as the CCR scan their 120 memories.

SCPD

QRT
Jaw Jack, Jack Bone -- Oh, I like those! Canadian radio terms, Heh?...;)
I have found some delightful radio terms in far flung corners of the world.... for instance in the Central Pacific, we used "that's a Charlie", or "Charlie Charlie" as an affirmation,-- like 'Roger', or 'QSL.'
...there where many others...
Driving down to Moab- you will be passing thru a lot of vast-nothing-ness..especially radio wise. When I go to Utah I pretty much give up on ham radio, though I keep my 2 meter radio on 146.52-- and sometimes make a short contact on an Interstate. Forget 70 cm. Moab has ham activity and you may fare better hearing things there. By-the-by, here in the inter-mountain west I like HF for mobile- 60 meters- 5.371 Mhz is like the '52' of the east and the urban areas.
If it were me, I would just enjoy the drive and wait until you get to Moab to start listening-- the drive and the fantastic scenery will be plenty to keep your attention .....:)
'
A happy trip, Al !
......................................CF

wyomingmedic

Wyoming VHF/UHF is dead except for stuff like DMR which is fairly active.

What exact route will you be taking? There are some linked analog systems which cover tens of thousands of square miles and can occasionally be fun to listen to.

I would offer up some public safety frequencies to listen to, but all of that is digital trunked.

geartow

With a 120 memorys you should be able to program about all repeater pairs and a few simplex as well with room left for a few public service as well.

NN6SG

Moab has two 2 meter repeaters:
146.76 - K7QEQ 88.5 MOAB Utah AUTO PATCH LINKED
146.9 - K7QEQ 88.5 MOAB Utah AUTO PATCH LINKED

I have used both when I was in Moab and was able to talk to people in Salina, Beaver and West Jordon [Salt Lake City with no effort.

Status
Not open for further replies.