Help?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im a big noob at radios ect. I just know the basics! I just bought 2 BaoFeng UV-5R Dual Band Two Way Radio's. I looked up how to use them ect. I saw a lot of legal stuff regarding them about having to have a licenses and all this stuff. Is there a easy way to use these radios like on a CB freq. and talk on them like that without all the legal stuff? Thanks

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Im a big noob at radios ect. I just know the basics! I just bought 2 BaoFeng UV-5R Dual Band Two Way Radio's. I looked up how to use them ect. I saw a lot of legal stuff regarding them about having to have a licenses and all this stuff. Is there a easy way to use these radios like on a CB freq. and talk on them like that without all the legal stuff? Thanks
Return them for a refund. Yes they have to be licensed to operate. Walmart has a wide selection of Frs radios which don't require a license. Unless you'd like your amateur radio license, then that's another discussion. :wink: 73, n9zas

Really? I'd rather try to avoid getting a refund! :( I was watching some videos on it. Why can't I just use a CB freq? And just use it as a CB?
Thanks

Alright thank you guys! It was my fault I did not do a lot of looking up before I bought getting a refund now from amazon! What are some radios I could get that are free of license? Around the same price range thank yall

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Really? I'd rather try to avoid getting a refund! :( I was watching some videos on it. Why can't I just use a CB freq? And just use it as a CB?
Thanks
1. They are not cb, not even close. 2. They require a license from the Fcc. 3. If you know nothing about them , a refund would be your best option. 73, n9zas

cmdrwill

The orig poster did not give much information on what his use would be. "CB" was the only key.

Maybe FRS is what he was thinking, just my guess......

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
FRS, is unlicensed, but I don't believe the UV-5R is legal to use on those bands in the US. They far exceed the maximum permitted power and FRS radios aren't allowed to have a detachable antenna.

Best bet would be to pick up FCC accepted radios dedicated to FRS and GMRS. You require a license for GMRS in the US, but there's no exam to take. FRS/GMRS Walkie Talkies

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Since the OP has gotten several good answers and he's not talking about amateur radio anyway, this thread is closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.