RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Amateur Radio > Amateur Radio General Discussion

Amateur Radio General Discussion - General discussion forum for amateur radio topics not covered by the above forums.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-17-2016, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK6WTT View Post
On the point of identifying HAMs while driving, is there a particular frequency that HAMs will monitor while driving? Something similar to CB's channel 19 (the trucker's channel)?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
146.520 is the 2 meter calling frequency. Also hear traffic on 146.550, 146.580, 446.000.
Sponsored links
Old 11-17-2016, 1:14 PM

License plates are issued by the STATES so each state has their own rules for what they will issue and how. In many states, an organization can request a special plate be issued, with part of the extra cost being donated back to the organization. So the plate MAY be a fundraiser for a specific organization.

States also issue special plates for their own purposes, like identifying EMTs so the general public can find medical assistance if they need it. And identifying MDs for the same reason. If a cop sees an MD plate, they know the car belongs to a doctor, and if there's a dash placard that says ON CALL they often will not ticket the car for parking violations.

There's logic to all that.

The OP apparently bought one to look cool. In some places, hams avoid those plates like the plague, because they say "SMASH MY GLASS AND STEAL EXPENSIVE ELECTRONICS HERE".

Your mileage may vary.

ARES ID Card? There is none from the national ARRL ARES organization. ID Cards are issued by a local ARES unit, at their discretion. Some use them, others don't. They're an expensive waste of time and money, if none of the partner organizations are familiar with them, or expecting to need or use them.

Your mileage may vary again.
Old 11-17-2016, 1:22 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
What is the purpose of amateur radio license plates? ...... Other than look cool ........
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vanity_plate

Vanity | Define Vanity at Dictionary.com
Old 11-17-2016, 1:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmckenna View Post
I got rid of them when the internet really took off and I realized how easy it was to run my call sign, figure out who I was, address, phone number, etc. Since I did a lot of traveling for work, I decided that wasn't in my (or my wife's) best interest. I swapped them out at the local DMV office for standard plates.
Exactly! I would never want my call sign on my license plates. That's like putting a road map to your house right on your car.
Old 11-17-2016, 1:32 PM

I've been using my PO Box from day one.

I'll probably get amateur plates when I retire, or close to it.
Sponsored links
Old 11-17-2016, 2:19 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Amateur Radio License Plates

The reason I have them, to annoy the people who do anything around a license plate. Real reason isin the name of standardization (it's easy to remember the plate number). It's a $2.50 on top of regular registration in Texas to obtain "Radio Operator" plates. For those whom don't understand my first sentence...see below.

Old 11-17-2016, 2:51 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Yeah, but we all know where you live now.....

Helos will be inbound soon.
Old 11-17-2016, 2:57 PM

Ham plates is sort of a status thing, and lets other Hams know they are out there.
Old 11-17-2016, 3:07 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rred View Post
The OP apparently bought one to look cool. In some places, hams avoid those plates like the plague, because they say "SMASH MY GLASS AND STEAL EXPENSIVE ELECTRONICS HERE".

Your mileage may vary.

ARES ID Card? There is none from the national ARRL ARES organization. ID Cards are issued by a local ARES unit, at their discretion. Some use them, others don't. They're an expensive waste of time and money, if none of the partner organizations are familiar with them, or expecting to need or use them.

Your mileage may vary again.
I would think the antenna farm on your car would attract thieves more than the plates would...but like you stated YMMV.

My group does not use ID cards of any kind and none of my neighboring groups do either that I know of. The most I have seen are folks who buy an ID themselves with the ARES logo on it at the hamfests, that they wear around their necks on a lanyard or clipped to their shirt, etc...

Don't really see a need for ARES to issue an ID. In my county we have our meetings at the County EOC and the County EM sometimes attends and has all of our ARES applications on file and already knows who we are and our qualifications. So, my face is my ID.

With that said, maybe the bigger groups in metro areas would need IDs, other than that I don't see what or who it would benefit.
Old 11-17-2016, 3:20 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by KE0GXN View Post
Yeah, but we all know where you live now.....

Helos will be inbound soon.
Actually you don't...feel free to search the database. Go to google, if it takes you to the right address, and you will notice the terrain/scenery (in the background) of the photo is completely different. The picture was actually taken 400 miles north of the address associated with my callsign. I don't live in either area...I could actually be mean and even more confusing and change the address to an out of state address if I wanted to.
Old 11-17-2016, 3:30 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by W5PKY View Post
Actually you don't...feel free to search the database. Go to google, if it takes you to the right address, and you will notice the terrain/scenery (in the background) of the photo is completely different. The picture was actually taken 400 miles north of the address associated with my callsign. I don't live in either area...I could actually be mean and even more confusing and change the address to an out of state address if I wanted to.
Doesn't matter if Google StreetView imagery is wrong if the address is correct. If you ordered a pizza to that address, would it get to the house?
Old 11-17-2016, 3:33 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Doesn't matter if Google StreetView imagery is wrong if the address is correct. If you ordered a pizza to that address, would it get to the house?
There was a point in time when all mapping sources would plot a coordinate 7 miles away. After Google began running the StreetView cars, some of those were correct.
Old 11-17-2016, 3:56 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Just messing with you Colin (if that is your real name)...lol.

Look me up on QRZ, I actually live at the address on there and if you happen to be in the neighborhood, stop by, I would enjoy a cup with you.

Old 11-17-2016, 4:09 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
What is the purpose of amateur radio license plates? I recently got mine. Other than look cool, I don't know what they are intended for? Is it to discover call signs for other HAM cars so that you can call them on the radio?
Pretty crazy the rabbit holes one can get into by simply asking a question on here...so, anyway congrats on your plates.

Out of curiosity, how long does CA take to issue theirs? I am on my second inquiry here in MO, submitted my app back in late September....still no plates.

Last edited by KE0GXN; 11-17-2016 at 4:32 PM.. Reason: Grammer
Old 11-17-2016, 4:22 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I think like in most places, here in Manitoba, Canada, ham plates have been around for a very long time. (The hobby is over 100 years old). Ham plates here predate CB radio.

When I got my plate back in the 70's there were no personalized plates. The only passenger car plates that were allowed outside of the regular numbering scheme were:

Doctor plates (The numbers began with MD)
Consular corps plates for diplomats etc (The numbers began with CC)
and ham radio plates.

Since they've been around so long, I suppose the reason has been clouded in the mists of time. Much like the term 'ham'.

My understanding was that back then ham plates were to let people know the vehicle was equipped with radio. (Although I don't know if there was any requirement for hams to have gear in their cars).

Today, we have personalized plates that come in different colors with different messages on them. But.. Our ham radio plates are not considered a personalized plate. They still have a special 'amateur radio' classification. You must have a valid ham radio license to get one.
Old 11-17-2016, 4:44 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by KE0GXN View Post
Just messing with you Colin (if that is your real name)...lol.

Look me up on QRZ, I actually live at the address on there and if you happen to be in the neighborhood, stop by, I would enjoy a cup with you.

I'll do that sometime. It is my real name by the way. I've moved 4 times in the last 8 months so it has been largely easier to just leave my FCC stuff at a property I visit occasionally where I can still get mail.
Old 11-17-2016, 5:27 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
I'll do that sometime. It is my real name by the way. I've moved 4 times in the last 8 months so it has been largely easier to just leave my FCC stuff at a property I visit occasionally where I can still get mail.
Roger, roger.

Old 11-17-2016, 6:21 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveC0625 View Post
Add New York to the list where you DO NOT need an ARES (or RACES) ID to get Amateur Radio plates. You do have provide a copy of your FCC license.

It is the least expensive of the vanity plates in NY. Some people think it is something official and pull over to the right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-17-2016, 6:26 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk77 View Post
Exactly! I would never want my call sign on my license plates. That's like putting a road map to your house right on your car.
Haven forbid someone should call a ham knowing his call sign. Reminds me of the paranoid group who want the entire FCC data base non-public even to other hams. If one is that afraid, they should not go outside, someone is far more likely to just follow you home.
Old 11-17-2016, 6:37 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

They are not considered vanity plates in Virginia. Virginia code 46.2-738. They are $1 extra while vanity plates are $10 extra. The allocation of call sign license plates in Virginia is part of . This is in recognition of the willingness to help in emergency communications.

I have many times called and had amateurs call me by seeing license plates. Not a vanity thing (I do not like my call letters) but rather helpful in establishing comms. I do not know a single ham with tags who has had anyone break into their vehicle to steal the radio.
The Virginia code is below:

46.2-738. Special license plates for amateur radio operators.

The Commissioner, on request, may supply any amateur radio operator licensed by the federal government or an agency thereof with license plates bearing his official call letters.

If more than one request is made for use, as provided in this section, of license plates having the same alpha-numeric, the Department shall accept the first such application. Persons receiving amateur radio operator special license plates shall affix such plates only to vehicles to which they are the titled owner.

The Commissioner shall charge a fee of one dollar in addition to the prescribed cost of state license plates for each set of license plates issued under the provisions of this section.