RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Amateur Radio > Amateur Radio General Discussion

Amateur Radio General Discussion - General discussion forum for amateur radio topics not covered by the above forums.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-13-2016, 9:24 PM

There are some states where a vehicle has to be registered, complete with plates, even if it is stored in your barn, off the road, on blocks with no tires. Like that odd west coast state, California.

And other states like most of the northeast, where you only need a plate if you want to put the car on a public road.

A few states (Cali & Missouri, I think) attach the plate to the vehicle, so that when you sell your car, the plate remains on it and that's what the new owner registers. In most states, the plate belongs to the operator. You keep it when you sell the car, and you have to surrender it in order to cancel your insurance.

In many states the annual inspection sticker goes inside the windshield next to the annual registration sticker. In NJ, they had a problem with that when color inkjet printers became popular. Ooops, folks were printing their own stickers. So the smarter states run the bar code through their own databases and press handy federal counterfeiting charges if a number was made up.

Some states try to keep taxes down and cheap out on things, and just issue a little annual sticker to put on the plate. Except, their less reputable citizens just peel a handy sticker off someone else's car and use it instead of getting their own. Those states often just tell people to use a knife and hash cut the sticker, to make it impossible to peel off in one piece. Which only works if people can be bothered to do it.

You think of a game, some state is playing it. Most states require two plates and charge $25-35 for the pair. Some states only will issue one plate (even if you want to BUY two) and they charge 10x as much for the one plate. Which you keep--even if you sell the car, because the plate "attaches" to you, permanently.

Seguing back to the FCC and amateur radio...amazing that amateur radio call signs are recycled if the operator doesn't renew them, but in other license classes (like marine) the call sign is permanently removed from use and never recycled, not even available if the former operator asks for it after the dead date.

Next thing will be the states learning from the FCC: "Here's your license number, if you need a hard copy go print it out yourself."
Sponsored links
Old 12-14-2016, 4:01 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by KE0GXN View Post
No new plates every year.....

We get year decals to affix to our plates, like the one in my previous picture. What he and I were saying that when you get any kind of personalized plate in MO, you have to turn in the original regular plate.

For example, if you purchase a new vehicle, you will be issued a regular plate at the time of registration and you will turn that one in when your personalized plate is ready. You have to register motor vehicles within 30 days of purchase here, so there is no way your personalized plate will be ready when you initially register your vehicle, so you are given a random regular plate until it is ready and you turn that one in when your personalized is.

Clear as mud?
The story kept changing. When I spoke to the MV clerk on the phone, I had to change the plates out on their lot and surrender the old plate. After I'd paid for the registration of the amateur plate, a different clerk asked me if I wanted to keep the old plates. When I said I did, she removed the decals from them. I seem to remember that someone said that decals weren't sold for the amateur plates in their state and that they had to pay an additional $15 every year for them, so I assumed that the plates were replaced every year, which would be exceedingly silly, but much of what I experienced when I was working as an independent contractor for companies in Missouri left me expecting same:-)
Old 12-14-2016, 5:35 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rred View Post
There are some states where a vehicle has to be registered, complete with plates, even if it is stored in your barn, off the road, on blocks with no tires. Like that odd west coast state, California.
Not completely true... If a car is not being driven or parked on a public street, it doesn't have to have the full registration paid or have a smog check. It used to be in CA that you could file a non-operation declaration when re-registering an expired vehicle but too many people were abusing it. Now, if you anticipate the vehicle will return to the roads at some point, you have to file a "planned-non-operation." What this entails is a minimum fee and no sticker for the plate. This allows the vehicle to be re-registered at a later date without incurring penalties.

Quote:
A few states (Cali & Missouri, I think) attach the plate to the vehicle, so that when you sell your car, the plate remains on it and that's what the new owner registers. In most states, the plate belongs to the operator. You keep it when you sell the car, and you have to surrender it in order to cancel your insurance.
In CA, this only applies to standard vehicle plates. Specialty plates, such as call sign plates, or vanity plates stay with the owner and they don't have to be surrendered to cancel insurance.

Quote:
Some states try to keep taxes down and cheap out on things, and just issue a little annual sticker to put on the plate. Except, their less reputable citizens just peel a handy sticker off someone else's car and use it instead of getting their own. Those states often just tell people to use a knife and hash cut the sticker, to make it impossible to peel off in one piece. Which only works if people can be bothered to do it.
And then they charge you for a replacement sticker. My wife had her sticker stolen and California DMV wanted $18 to replace it.
Old 12-14-2016, 7:17 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Rred, in MO the plates are assigned to the owner, not the car. Car gets sold, plates come off and get transfered to owner's new vehicle.
Old 12-14-2016, 7:19 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by KI7HYI View Post
The story kept changing. When I spoke to the MV clerk on the phone, I had to change the plates out on their lot and surrender the old plate. After I'd paid for the registration of the amateur plate, a different clerk asked me if I wanted to keep the old plates. When I said I did, she removed the decals from them. I seem to remember that someone said that decals weren't sold for the amateur plates in their state and that they had to pay an additional $15 every year for them, so I assumed that the plates were replaced every year, which would be exceedingly silly, but much of what I experienced when I was working as an independent contractor for companies in Missouri left me expecting same:-)
Fully understand....license office can be a nightmare here at some places.
Sponsored links
Old 12-17-2016, 3:57 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
As I said before, I didn't have to surrender the old plates, just the decals on them. Your state issues new plates every year, which precludes the need for the decals. They must really need something for your state prisoners to do:-)
Missouri does not issue new plates every year, although they are getting ready to start a new run of plates for Missouri's bi-continual in a few years. We can get a one or two year renewal sticker (depending on the year of the production). So when I renew in [July] of next year, I will get a two year tag, if choose too. Also, as an added security to prevent theft, the sticker(s) are supposed to have the plate number (in my case my call sign) on it, however, mine do not.
Old 12-17-2016, 4:24 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC0KM View Post
Missouri does not issue new plates every year, although they are getting ready to start a new run of plates for Missouri's bi-continual in a few years. We can get a one or two year renewal sticker (depending on the year of the production). So when I renew in [July] of next year, I will get a two year tag, if choose too. Also, as an added security to prevent theft, the sticker(s) are supposed to have the plate number (in my case my call sign) on it, however, mine do not.
Why would the plates need a number if they are unique?
Old 12-17-2016, 5:23 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Why would the plates need a number if they are unique?
For some reason your not reading these things correctly.

The plates do not change, from year to year. But the year sticker, usually in the upper right of the plate, is re-issued with each new registration. That way, a quick look in the corner of the plate can tell you whether the registration is up to date.

Putting the plate number on the sticker prevents ne'er do wells from lifting a valid sticker off of another license plate and putting it on his/her own license plate. Arizona has the same sticker system.

What I like about Missouri is that you can obtain a "third license plate". Its really just a paper plate but can be used when you have something the obscures the rear plate. The "third" plate, of course, but be placed within easy view.

Martin - K7MEM
Old 06-09-2017, 9:40 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

A little late here, but part of the reasoning is too prevent theft. Instead of being in the corner, now it is in the middle of the plate (or close too it). The number on the sticker is (most of the time) the same as the plate, so they are supposed to match. After see this thread (again) it reminded me that my plates are due next month, had too gather all my "paper work, reference copy of my license, and the 838 form stating that my license is current and unrevoked. No telling what will happen when we get the new plates.
Sponsored links