RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Amateur Radio > Amateur Radio General Discussion

Amateur Radio General Discussion - General discussion forum for amateur radio topics not covered by the above forums.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-15-2017, 6:18 PM

But when you call "ZL2MC listening on 685" hopefully a ham will answer. If the dodgy bloke with the dodgy call answers, then I'll just ignore him. I don't think that making that initial call is acting outside the terms of my licence, no more than calling "CQ" on HF is.
Old 02-15-2017, 6:21 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

A communication addressed to other ham operators on a ham frequency is not "broadcasting." Announcing your call on a repeater, calling CQ, etc., are all permissible within the Rules.

If I hear someone calling for a specific station, I will not go back to them unless I am operating that particular station. Jumping on someone who has made a directed call is rude, IMO. Calling for someone who is not on the air to avoid an imaginary rule infraction is a good way to avoid having any QSOs at all.
Old 02-15-2017, 6:28 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveNF2G View Post
Calling for someone who is not on the air to avoid an imaginary rule infraction is a good way to avoid having any QSOs at all.
I don't really do that all that often, but I actually do hope that my old friend will answer. He did about two years ago when he turned on his rig late one afternoon and heard me call.

In any case, if I get no response I'll clear with "Nothing heard, N4GIX listening on Gary Local (or whatever freq/mode I'm on). This opens the TG or freq and lets anyone listening that the channel/TG/freq is free, and that I'm listening in case they want to call me.
Old 02-15-2017, 7:49 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

I would not loose too much sleep over incidental one way transmissions. This is an extract from part 97, dealing with a portion of permissible one way’s

"Section 97.111(b) provides for one-way communications. In summary:

Brief transmissions necessary to make adjustments to the station;
Brief transmissions necessary for establishing two-way communications with other stations"
This covers calling “CQ”, “Listening” and saying things like “this is K6XXX testing”… for instance.
…. or maybe a bit more colourful example ( as in under-the-influence ..Not ! advocated, btw!)
“This is K6XXX fiddling around with this Mickey Mouse piece of…… Testing, Testing Tesssst-tinging! Anybody out there hear me? Huh?”
That would qualify as both a sort of CQ and a Test transmission, combined.
An exaggeration?… you haven’t been on 75 for awhile, have you, Cowboy?…(laffing)
……………………..CF

Last edited by Coyote-Frostbyte; 02-15-2017 at 7:56 PM..
Old 02-15-2017, 7:56 PM

I hear several hunting groups around here (even at the same time) on 2 meters. One time I saw a rusty pickup with a whip and a Yaesu inside. I played dumb and asked the guy if it was a Ham radio and he said no it was an "FM CB". They put GPS collars on dogs and chase coyotes.
Old 02-15-2017, 8:18 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

FM CB? Now that sounds classy. It almost sounds legal. I wonder if the Feds would buy that.
Old 02-15-2017, 10:31 PM

I know this one has to be against the rules but we have one guy of ethnic descent who believes he can just get on the air and call our repeater's call sign W4BLT like it will answer him and begins"this is voice of Talladega KF4LPC downtown Talladega County 61".I will see you guys in 30 minutes for the net this is KF4LPC downtown Talladega County 61 clear.I take this as broadcasting but no one has said anything to him afraid he will pull the race card.
Old 02-16-2017, 3:34 PM

But you will NOT forget who he is, as his 'added info' is much easier to remember..... than a plain ol call sign....
Old 02-16-2017, 4:39 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

CB FM?... oh, its quite common, and goes back many years too. In West Virginia its called Bear Hunter's radio- at least that's what I remember it being called in Pendleton and Grant- surrounding counties.
144.1-144.15 Mhz were (are?) popular. The Bear Hunters were (are?) easy to spot in any Food Lion parking lot- they had two antennas on their trucks- one for CB, the other 2 metre's.
And they were always gentlemen to me.... no complaints here............
..................................CF
Sponsored links
Old 02-16-2017, 5:34 PM

FM CB as "classy" as it sounds has new meaning these days Frequency Mobile Cheap Baofeng , my apologize to the owners of legal CCRS.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk
Old 02-16-2017, 5:39 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Several cb shops that use to be here would take ham radios and make it so you could talk on the cb frequencies very common. never knew of anyone who got in trouble. Even those who pushed power 2-3k never got in trouble either cops might get called but that's about it.
Old 02-16-2017, 5:39 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

27 MHz FM CB is common in Europe and Asia but not legal in the US.
Old 02-16-2017, 9:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godofbiscuits View Post
1. Can I get fined for talking to them? 2. Do people here refuse to talk to people who don't have licenses?
Yes and yes.

It is against the regulations for you to transmit any messages to unlicensed operators except in emergencies.

It is not against the regulations for you to merely listen to what they say.

I would encourage them to license up, given that any brain dead cluck can easily get a Tech license these days. (No offense to the clucks.)

Last edited by bill4long; 02-16-2017 at 10:32 PM..
Old 02-16-2017, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK4JUG View Post
So, when you get into your car, turn on your ham radio, give your call sign and say "monitoring" or "mobile" or something that indicates you're on the air and willing to talk, is that transmitting "blind?"
This is perfectly acceptable given 97.111(2) and (6). In effect, you are making a general call to anyone who wants to talk to you and a "bulletin" letting people know you are there. A "CQ" is a "CQ" regardless of what actual words you use.
Old 02-16-2017, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoco View Post
You can't even transmit "blind", for instance to someone with a "receive only" scanner as this would be interpreted as "broadcasting" - another no-no.
Actually, there are two cases where this turns out to be permissible- emergency traffic, and bulletins of a general interest to amateur radio. 97.111(4)(6) cf 97.3(26). In such cases, it doesn't matter who is listening and what they are using to listen. Or if nobody is listening. For example, if I transmit an Amateur Radio Newsline weekly episode and the only person that happens to be listening is some guy with a scanner who is not a licensed ham, that would be perfectly OK.

Last edited by bill4long; 02-16-2017 at 10:29 PM..
Sponsored links
Old 02-16-2017, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerjack09 View Post
I know this one has to be against the rules but we have one guy of ethnic descent who believes he can just get on the air and call our repeater's call sign W4BLT like it will answer him and begins"this is voice of Talladega KF4LPC downtown Talladega County 61".I will see you guys in 30 minutes for the net this is KF4LPC downtown Talladega County 61 clear.I take this as broadcasting but no one has said anything to him afraid he will pull the race card.
He is perfectly legal doing what he's doing.

It is permissible as an "information bulletin." 97.3(26), 97.111(6)

"Broadcasting" is defined as "Transmissions intended for reception by the general public" 97.3(10) Clearly this man is not broadcasting. He is simply making an announcement of interest to amateur radio in a colorful way. He may garner the ire of some our more anal retentive brethren, but it's not against the rules.
Old 03-17-2017, 12:39 AM

How does the FCC expect every licensed HAM to verify every call sign they hear on the radio? I am not aware of a requirement to keep an internet access device of some sort with your radio at all times to verify call signs. Is there some 800 number I am not aware of?
Old 03-17-2017, 4:54 AM
KE4FHH
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by techguru View Post
How does the FCC expect every licensed HAM to verify every call sign they hear on the radio? I am not aware of a requirement to keep an internet access device of some sort with your radio at all times to verify call signs. Is there some 800 number I am not aware of?
The FCC doesn't expect you to verify every single operator. The problem is when you know the other person is not a ham. How would you know?

1) If a person that you know without a doubt does not have a license tries to communicate with you over amateur frequencies, you should not engage in communications. This is what the OP is talking about. He knows that his friends do not have ham radio licenses and that they are using ham frequencies. This is where the line is crossed.

2) If the person does not use a call sign, you should cease communication.

3) If the person is using a call sign with a wrong format, like "Mountain Man" or "High Roller." Several hunters in the area decided to start using one of our repeaters. One of the hams in our group talked to them for a few minutes and when he asked them for their call signs, he got answers similar to the examples I gave. He told them that they were in violation of the law and broke off communications the minute that he found out they were not hams. He could not be fined as he gave the other users the benefit of the doubt that they were hams and when he found out they were not, he stopped communication. If a person comes on the local repeater and says, "This is Sugar-Bear, anybody got their ears on for a radio check?" then if W1XXX decides to start talking to the person, even if they are just trying to gain more information, then W1XXX is wrong and can get into hot water.
Old 03-17-2017, 3:07 PM
Completely Banned for the Greater Good

I actually heard this on a 2-meter repeater a while back. Someone wanted in on the roundtable discussion and when he was asked for his callsign, he replied with the local NOAA weather radio station callsign!. They of course let him have it over the air about not being licensed.
Old 03-17-2017, 5:00 PM
Lead Wiki Manager
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilson2013 View Post
They of course let him have it over the air about not being licensed.
Which, in my opinion, is totally unnecessary. Either ignore the unlicensed station or clear off the frequency until the unlicensed station goes away. There's nothing to be gained, in my opinion, by engaging with an interfering station on the air.

"The whole world's living in a digital dream. It's not really there, it's all on the screen." -- WB6ACU