RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Amateur Radio > Amateur Radio General Discussion

Amateur Radio General Discussion - General discussion forum for amateur radio topics not covered by the above forums.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-20-2017, 3:49 PM

been operating amateur radio since 1983 in uk, and dont have a licence, sorry about that! but the good news is that im thinking of taking my exam
Sponsored links
Old 04-21-2017, 3:42 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyote-Frostbyte View Post
Quote:
"And that is probably why Americans take more pride in being a ham that many others."
Oh, I don't know...what's it take to get a Tech license in the US today? Block print some information on an FCC Form 610, spend an hour or so memorizing enuff minor radio trivia to pass a 35 question test in front of a group of volunteers,-- who can offer an immediate retake if you fail?... Getting a hunting license is harder.

At least in my above example,-- and this is to the credit of all the other hams in the Third Worlds,-- I had to pursue my ambition in front of some chaps in uniforms, with pistols on their hips...

................CF
Based on my observations as a VE Team Leader, I don't think the Technician exam is as easy as people make out. I still see a percentage of the people that come into test fail the exam. It's not a large percentage, but there are still those who fail miserably. And often, some scores are at the bare minimum needed to pass.

As far as retakes are concerned, my VEC will not offer a retake to anyone missing more than 12 on the exam (9 wrong is still passing.)
Old 04-21-2017, 3:50 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by robin321 View Post
been operating amateur radio since 1983 in uk, and dont have a licence,
You say that like you're proud of it. I'm sorry that you're not able to pass the exam. Perhaps you should find another hobby.
Old 04-21-2017, 4:16 PM

Quote:
been operating amateur radio since 1983 in uk, and dont have a licence, sorry about that! but the good news is that im thinking of taking my exam
How do you respond when asked for a call sign?
Old 04-21-2017, 4:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSpaceMann View Post
How do you respond when asked for a call sign?
Sorry good buddy what's a call sign , 10-4 !

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk
Sponsored links
Old 04-21-2017, 4:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK4JUG View Post
You say that like you're proud of it. I'm sorry that you're not able to pass the exam. Perhaps you should find another hobby.
don't be so mean! i didn't say i was not able to pass exam , I just hadn't got around to taking it yet

i have spoken many hundreds of hours with licensed radio operators and unlicensed operators as long as you are polite, use correct radio procedures and are interesting they will talk to you, you have to remember in UK amateur radio is dying out, radio operators need someone to talk to.
Old 04-21-2017, 7:32 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
don't be so mean! i didn't say i was not able to pass exam , I just hadn't got around to taking it yet
I wasn't being mean. I just assumed you were an upstanding citizen wanting to do the right thing. Sorry, I was wrong.
Old 04-21-2017, 11:57 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Hi K6CPO
I didn’t mean to disparage those with Tech licenses; or any license, for that matter, especially when it comes to pride of accomplishment. This goes for any US ham, or like my example- the Central American counterpart. Anyone whose show’d enuff spunk to tread the bureaucratic red tape to obtain government sanctions for their hobby is a “ham’ as for as I am concerned. Some just accomplish it easier than others.
I will say, however, obtaining a license in the US is quite painless… which is something I applaud completely. There is nothing about the hobby that should require a fraternity initiation. I think the pride issue comes with what a ham accomplishes with his hobby- the license was only the ‘ticket’ into the show.
So, all that being said- I took my first fraternity initiation when I was but a wee teenager, living in the UK. This was in the days before CEPT and reciprocity agreements, and if a Yank wanted to operate there they had to pass the Brit’s exam. My father, a dyed-in-the-wool American ham thought it was way too much trouble- but he encourage me to give it a go. I was too young, innocent and eager to not rise to challenge.
So after studying the RSGB handbooks, and whatever else I could lay my hands on a the US Air Base library- plus practicing code with my dad-- I took the Tube one snowy, bitter winter morning, down into London to take the exam, which was given once a fortnight by the postal service.
In those days there were few female hams in the UK.... so Imagine a young teenage girl, a Yank, no less- presenting to sit the exam. The rawness of the snowy morning meant I, alone, was the only examinee-- I became an instant cause celebre.
To start the exam off, I had to first pass a sending and receiving Morse test,-- I think it was 12WPM…. Numbers AND punctuation marks. The technical exam had some multiple choice questions, some fill in the blanks (math questions as I so painfully recall,) plus I had to draw several schematics, then verbal explain each to the examiners (note plural.)
I passed
As I was such a weird anomaly, I was treated by the office to biscuits and tea. One of the secretaries, jokingly, even wanted adopt me.
When later that evening I showed my dad my license, with its multiple signatures and embossed stamp, he just smiled. He said he always expected I'd do it......... I wish I had shared his optimism.
But I had my “G” call.
I went on to take my US Conditional. Later, the Advanced after I return to the US.
In the end I never felt what I did set me apart from hams in other countries that had been licensed much easier- over the years, quite a few I came to know “eyeball.” It was the love of RF that united us, not have passed some test. So, as far as I am concerned, a ham is a ham, regardless if they have a license or not. The license just makes it all legal.
……………….CF
Old 04-23-2017, 3:56 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

CF,
Good story.

I came into the hobby late (2011) even though I had an interest in high school (1960s,) so I wasn't confronted with a CW exam. I knew the code at one time (part of my Navy duties) but forgot it when I didn't use it. I didn't have much difficulty with the Technician and General exams, but the Extra was a beast. When I found out I scored 94% on it I was amazed.
Sponsored links
Old 05-20-2017, 1:37 PM

Quote:

i have spoken many hundreds of hours with licensed radio operators and unlicensed operators as long as you are polite, use correct radio procedures and are interesting they will talk to you, you have to remember in UK amateur radio is dying out, radio operators need someone to talk to.
Hadn't gotten around to it.... In 34 years?

Perhaps amateur radio is dying out in the UK because of people like you who are absolutely content to abuse it.
Old 06-19-2017, 1:09 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Well... I am coming to this discussion a bit late...30 days or so, but, the discussion is indeed important.

Using a 'Ham Band' frequency without a license is not a good thing. Especially now that getting a HAM TICKET is SOOOO EASY.... I took the 'test' when 19 and passed all the way through EXTRA. And over they years, let me license lapse (while spending three tours in Viet Nam). When I got back to the USA and 25 years later I found my old 'ham 2 meter' rig in the garage and said, what the heck, I studied up a bit and went down and took the test and did it again, passed all the way to EXTRA. And guess what? _NO MORSE CODE NEEDED ANYMORE!_ So, really, operating a ham station without a license is really, to me, just rude and lazy and really no showing real interest in the hobby.
I for one, report any station operating out of band and not using a valid call sign. Know keep in mind, I am in the USA and in Texas and we do report band violations. There was a station in our county that was operating 'out of band, over powered and no call sign'. "WE" reported him and, yes, in the USA the FAA can apply and get a WARRANT and search premises for illegal equipment. ANY HAM RADIO is sooo easy to located. ANY RADIO. And, well, to make a long boring story a short boring story, we complained, the FAA responded and, along with the County Deputy Sheriff, searched the location, confiscated what looked to be about $2k USD worth of equipment and issued three citation to the person at the residence. As the person did not show up for court appearances, there is a bench warrant for arrest issued for the person. So, if they get stopped for a stop sign violation,,,try to leave the US, try to get on an airplane,,,guess what? They get arrested and jailed, and then, must face a judge for missing court dates AND face prosecution for FAA Violations. And really....there is NO REASON for ANY OF THIS. The General Ham ticket in the USA is soo easy to get. When I tested there were 6 'kids' without driver's licenses testing that day. ALL PASSED TO GENERAL license use.

I just think one is lazy not to get a HAM License and then get on the air. We in the USA, and in Texas, report and support the FAA and Band Administrators keep the HAM BAND clear of illicit and illegal use. And, again, here in the USA, HAM RADIO is not 'dying out' as there are more legal licensees now than ever before. I say GREAT TO THAT!! I also have a Citizens Band license.... How many guys on the road in the USA have one of those!!?? (not many)...

So all, it takes about 30 minutes to get the license. And since there is a "NO CODE" requirement any more....well....did I use the term 'lazy' above?

Nose Dive

Cheap, Fast, Good. Kindly pick two.
Old 06-19-2017, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC9OHL View Post
Well... I am coming to this discussion a bit late...30 days or so, but, the discussion is indeed important.

Using a 'Ham Band' frequency without a license is not a good thing. Especially now that getting a HAM TICKET is SOOOO EASY.... I took the 'test' when 19 and passed all the way through EXTRA. And over they years, let me license lapse (while spending three tours in Viet Nam). When I got back to the USA and 25 years later I found my old 'ham 2 meter' rig in the garage and said, what the heck, I studied up a bit and went down and took the test and did it again, passed all the way to EXTRA. And guess what? _NO MORSE CODE NEEDED ANYMORE!_ So, really, operating a ham station without a license is really, to me, just rude and lazy and really no showing real interest in the hobby.
I for one, report any station operating out of band and not using a valid call sign. Know keep in mind, I am in the USA and in Texas and we do report band violations. There was a station in our county that was operating 'out of band, over powered and no call sign'. "WE" reported him and, yes, in the USA the FAA can apply and get a WARRANT and search premises for illegal equipment. ANY HAM RADIO is sooo easy to located. ANY RADIO. And, well, to make a long boring story a short boring story, we complained, the FAA responded and, along with the County Deputy Sheriff, searched the location, confiscated what looked to be about $2k USD worth of equipment and issued three citation to the person at the residence. As the person did not show up for court appearances, there is a bench warrant for arrest issued for the person. So, if they get stopped for a stop sign violation,,,try to leave the US, try to get on an airplane,,,guess what? They get arrested and jailed, and then, must face a judge for missing court dates AND face prosecution for FAA Violations. And really....there is NO REASON for ANY OF THIS. The General Ham ticket in the USA is soo easy to get. When I tested there were 6 'kids' without driver's licenses testing that day. ALL PASSED TO GENERAL license use.

I just think one is lazy not to get a HAM License and then get on the air. We in the USA, and in Texas, report and support the FAA and Band Administrators keep the HAM BAND clear of illicit and illegal use. And, again, here in the USA, HAM RADIO is not 'dying out' as there are more legal licensees now than ever before. I say GREAT TO THAT!! I also have a Citizens Band license.... How many guys on the road in the USA have one of those!!?? (not many)...

So all, it takes about 30 minutes to get the license. And since there is a "NO CODE" requirement any more....well....did I use the term 'lazy' above?

Nose Dive

FAA violations? Which ones? Just curious.
Old 06-20-2017, 12:36 AM

Quote:
...I also have a Citizens Band license.... How many guys on the road in the USA have one of those!!?? (not many)...
Cowthief?? Is that you?
Old 06-20-2017, 8:21 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
"WE" reported him and, yes, in the USA the FAA can apply and get a WARRANT and search premises for illegal equipment.
Really?

Quote:
I also have a Citizens Band license.... How many guys on the road in the USA have one of those!!?? (not many)...
You should probably re-familiarize yourself with the pertinent regulations. Everyone who owns a CB is licensed by rule. Nobody has a valid CB callsign any more. (You are free to use your old one, but it conveys no privileges whatsoever.)
Old 06-20-2017, 12:46 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

You mean of course the FCC, since the FAA has no dog in this hunt!
Sponsored links
Old 06-20-2017, 2:48 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

N4GIX... Bill YEP! Duh... FAA... surprised I didn't mistype FFL or CHL! Last I looked, my old 2M rig hasn't grown wings!...thanks buddy...

(PS...was re-licensed in Valpo, along with 6 other teens that tested that day.)

Nose Dive

Old 06-20-2017, 3:09 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

The FAA ?.... a "CB" License...?...??
Oh, I know !-- this all has to do with cooking sherry,.... No?
...............Its not for drinking
....................CF
Old 06-20-2017, 10:27 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Dear CF: Well You have a Tech ticket now? Hmm You dont' show call sign. Hmmm? Gee...maybe you still talk illegally...and here, on this site...anyone who wants to talk...well ..can talk.

And yes...FAA was a mistake... confused with FCC...or FBI...or FFL...or CHL. And yes....we used to have to apply and acquire a CB License. I do have one, albeit the rules have changed.... Maybe you could, or you can't, post your call sign...or...maybe...really...you really don't have one...gee...bummer...(what did I say above?--LAZY--) and I doubt your dad as you say, as a life long ham, would let you talk on the air without him being there at the 'station controller'...or heck... as a non-licensed 'code talker' you can help try to turn our ham bands into the 'trash talker' CB bands. Gee... Did I say or did I ask for your CALL SIGN?... or do you just use your CB HANDLE as your Ham Band call sign.

Keep posting here... No license,,,no call sign...well,,,get on back to CB where 'no license' folks belong.

Nose Dive

Old 06-21-2017, 8:04 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Location: Davenport,Fl.- home to me and the gators and the skeeters.

Oh man, do we have to get off topic like that?
Old 06-21-2017, 8:49 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC4RAF View Post
Oh man, do we have to get off topic like that?
I think he may be questioning someone's credibility.