RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog
 

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Amateur Radio > Amateur Radio General Discussion


Amateur Radio General Discussion - General discussion forum for amateur radio topics not covered by the above forums.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #101 (permalink)  
Old 06-21-2017, 12:51 PM
Coyote-Frostbyte's Avatar
Member
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Colorado, New Mexico
Posts: 546
Default

KC9OHL--- what tha'???
.
My God, Nose Dive, if you are going to cite the FAA as your radio legal authority, My Good Man, you *Will* be called on the rug for that.... especially in a theatre like this. There was nothing malicious in my response- in my intent or my wording. Others, less charitable, would have pick your bones clean by now.
.
As far as the CB license thing- how many years has it been since the Federal Communications Commission (aka FAA) last issued them?.. 30, 40- Plus?? And forget about engaging me on my bona fides.
.
If you are out to pick a bar fight, I won't oblige you-- Go home and sleep it off, Cowboy.
.
.
CF

Last edited by Coyote-Frostbyte; 06-21-2017 at 12:58 PM..
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #102 (permalink)  
Old 06-21-2017, 12:53 PM
W9BU's Avatar
Lead Wiki Manager
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Brownsburg, Indiana
Posts: 4,733
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC9OHL View Post
Dear CF: Well You have a Tech ticket now? Hmm You dont' show call sign. Hmmm? Gee...maybe you still talk illegally...and here, on this site...anyone who wants to talk...well ..can talk.
There is no requirement on this site for anyone to reveal their amateur radio, CB, GMRS, or LMR callsign. The forum on this site is open for anyone who wants to discuss radio topics in a constructive manner.

And, someone not revealing their callsign is certainly no indication that that person is operating illegally. Be careful with the insinuations you make.
__________________
Lead Wiki Manager and Forum Moderator.

"The whole world's living in a digital dream. It's not really there, it's all on the screen." -- WB6ACU
Reply With Quote
  #103 (permalink)  
Old 06-21-2017, 2:16 PM
Member
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Indianapolis Indiana
Posts: 129
Default

To respond to the OP.

I would not converse with a non-licensed individual over the air. Despite the warnings here, I feel I would still mention to them, that they are violating the law, they should get this tech lic since it is quite easy and I would then cut off communication with them.

"Hey, it looks like you are not licensed to operate on this band, The licensing process is quite easy, I suggest you get your license good day, KC9SJV clear"

its been a long time since I took my tech test, and I don't remember seeing it when I studied, but are we 'obligated' to report misuse? If we know for a fact that PersonA is not licensed and is operating on amateur bands, are we obligated to report it? or is it more of a "you really really should, but we wont tell you, you have to" kind of thing?
Reply With Quote
  #104 (permalink)  
Old 06-21-2017, 7:54 PM
Member
   
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Mojave Desert, California, USA
Posts: 1,877
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC9OHL View Post
Well... I am coming to this discussion a bit late...30 days or so, but, the discussion is indeed important.

Using a 'Ham Band' frequency without a license is not a good thing. Especially now that getting a HAM TICKET is SOOOO EASY.... I took the 'test' when 19 and passed all the way through EXTRA. And over they years, let me license lapse (while spending three tours in Viet Nam). When I got back to the USA and 25 years later I found my old 'ham 2 meter' rig in the garage and said, what the heck, I studied up a bit and went down and took the test and did it again, passed all the way to EXTRA. And guess what? _NO MORSE CODE NEEDED ANYMORE!_

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC9OHL View Post
Dear CF: Well You have a Tech ticket now? Hmm You dont' show call sign. Hmmm? Gee...maybe you still talk illegally...and here, on this site...anyone who wants to talk...well ..can talk.

<<<snip>>>

Keep posting here... No license,,,no call sign...well,,,get on back to CB where 'no license' folks belong.
Pat (I'll go ahead and call you by your real name, since by posting your callsign online you appear to be OK with people knowing quite a bit about you) there are many reasons people online do not post their callsigns. Back to that in a bit.

So you where an Extra in the 60's (would probably have to be the 60's to do it before three tours in Vietnam, what with the 2 year waiting period that was required to test for Extra before 1973) and let your license laps, and are now an Extra again? Nice, personally I was only a Novice and then General during the 60's-70's. But like you say you did, I let my license lapse (yeah, military life can reduce activity in a hobby like ham radio) and was re-licensed later, in my case I got my ticket again in 1991. Yes, I am now an Extra, but I did not upgrade to that until 2006, I intentionally did it just before they removed the code requirement for HF.

With regards to some people not posting their callsigns online, it is a choice. OPSEC and related security thoughts are important to some folks when online, and a tremendous amount of information can be found about a person if you have their ham callsign. I try not to use my callsign online, although I do post it in some forums and to some groups, typically closed forums that cannot be searched with basic search tools like Google.

Why do I choose to not post my callsign online under most conditions? Just for an example, opening 2 web pages and less than 2 minutes of research starting with your callsign (assuming that is your callsign in your user name) gave me a real name, address (and your last 10 addresses), age, what month you were born in (would have to pay a small fee to get your exact birth date), what company you work for, and what position you hold there. I also got what appear to be the names and ages of your wife and children.

Sure, security is relative. Anyone who really wants to find out who I am and where I am can do it, posted callsign or not, but I don't want it to be so easy any 12 year old on the Internet can do it. If anyone chooses to incorrectly believe I don't have a license simply because I don't regularly post my callsign to the web, then I am OK with that.

Odd thing though, when I hit the first web page, the FCC ULS page, it shows that KC9OHL is a General class license, not an Extra as you seem to indicate you are. Must be an error in the FCC database, ah?

T!

Last edited by Token; 06-21-2017 at 8:09 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #105 (permalink)  
Old 06-21-2017, 9:00 PM
imd imd is offline
Member
   
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 10
Default

Heard you guys on 146.52 while out camping in Anza this winter.

Wondering why no one was id'ing, I said QRZ with my call and no one responded. I know you heard me based on the topic of conversation.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #106 (permalink)  
Old 06-21-2017, 9:21 PM
KK4JUG's Avatar
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Columbus, GA
Posts: 956
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Token View Post
Odd thing though, when I hit the first web page, the FCC ULS page, it shows that KC9OHL is a General class license, not an Extra as you seem to indicate you are. Must be an error in the FCC database, ah?

T!
And i refer back to my earlier post (100) where the subject of credibility came up.
Reply With Quote
  #107 (permalink)  
Old 06-21-2017, 9:29 PM
Member
   
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 25
Default

KC9OHL,
You want a call sign? Then go on the air.
There are perfectly good reasons why people don't give their call on the internet.
Reply With Quote
  #108 (permalink)  
Old 06-28-2017, 8:44 PM
Coyote-Frostbyte's Avatar
Member
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Colorado, New Mexico
Posts: 546
Default

Tonite I tripped back across this topic and I have to admit that you, KC9OHL aka 'Nose Dive,' gave me quite the chuckle,-- once again -- this week later.
.

And as I originally said, I was not about to engage you in a bar fight ( a most unlady-like behavior) over whatever burr had gotten under your saddle blanket -- But I can't help giving you sincere Kudo's for a really good spoof..... and a good laugh. You had me-us- all "On" there for awhile.
.
..... The FAA, an "Extra Class" license- an antiquarian CB licensee.. 3 tours in Vietnam**, reporting violations to the Deputy Sheriff-- all colourful to the extreme.
.
Bravo!
.
You don't, by chance, work as one of those Nigerian guys that occasional send me these enticing messages:
.

..........."Daer estemed Friend! It is my unbridled pleadure to anounce to you you have won The Lottery in our Country! 10,000,000 dollars American! You may not have known about this wonderful event, but you have Won! To claim this fbulous prise I need you bank account number of you US Bank to send You the Prize Money!. Please Email me your Bank information today and you're money is on the way!......................" ...etc etc etc.............................
,
You share the most remarkably similar writing style
.
Patrick, aka KC8OHL***, aka Nose Dive- whatever-- I really doubt I will hear from you again. Taking time to look at what the Puppet Master behind Nose Drip's persona could be; its really quite murky. As in : there is no Avatar photo for Nose Drops forum personal- no Bio, no nothing. Only 5 Posts..... sorry Noses Nothing- but in my cyber world that is a Troll- a Griefer--- but, Hey Bucko ! As I must admit, you are/were a very charming little Cyber Ghoul!.....
.
Pues, Via con Dios be Amor, y una brazo para ti !... Sincerely! ****
.
...............................CF
.
__________________________________________________ ____________



.
** Oh, be so careful there, Amigo! My father, my brothers, my uncles- my friends--- do NOT take kindly to 'Nam poseurs! This is the one thing that if you made it up, I will be *very annoyed!* with you-- but, then I am sure you did the 3 tours as you said
.
***I don't think this could be you... not knowing what your true ham license class ('OHL) is?? This has to be a relative, or some poor neighbor.. No?? I really hope it isn't being bootlegged, for then you'd have to report yourself to the FAA or the FFL.....
.
****Oh, finally, Nose Drops, if you are really a General Class licensee, But as you claim-- an Extra, and operate as an Extra in the Extra Class Bands-- "out of Band" as you Texans in the USA put it-- maybe you ought to report yourself to the CHL or the Sheriff, as you said all Texans in the USA do.
.
Kisses! ....... Lauri
.
.
Disclaimer: no alcohol was consumed *During* this Post...................Anyone else out there want a piece of me?".... laffing !

Last edited by Coyote-Frostbyte; 06-28-2017 at 8:54 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #109 (permalink)  
Old 06-28-2017, 9:00 PM
KK4JUG's Avatar
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Columbus, GA
Posts: 956
Default

Coyote-Frostbyte, way to go
Reply With Quote
  #110 (permalink)  
Old 07-20-2017, 10:38 PM
Was k2ool/k1nng
   
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 1,325
Question callsign

kk4jug,question :

Do you have any modded ham radios?
Whats your opinion on Amazon selling radios to anyone?

Last edited by Southernsky; 07-20-2017 at 10:46 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #111 (permalink)  
Old 07-21-2017, 7:17 AM
W9BU's Avatar
Lead Wiki Manager
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Brownsburg, Indiana
Posts: 4,733
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1nng View Post
Whats your opinion on Amazon selling radios to anyone?
There is no legal provision which would prevent any retailer from selling any amateur radio transceiver to any one. Some amateur radio retailers ask for your callsign and some may not sell to you if you aren't licensed, but that's an individual store policy.
__________________
Lead Wiki Manager and Forum Moderator.

"The whole world's living in a digital dream. It's not really there, it's all on the screen." -- WB6ACU
Reply With Quote
  #112 (permalink)  
Old 07-21-2017, 8:50 AM
Member
   
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 273
Default

Amazon doesn't care they want your money , I am sure if they could sell nuclear warheads they would .

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #113 (permalink)  
Old 07-21-2017, 1:46 PM
Was k2ool/k1nng
   
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 1,325
Default

Luckily most people are more hung up on buying the new Iphone and not concerned with a Baofeng they could buy for $30 that they can use to talk anywhere on.
Reply With Quote
  #114 (permalink)  
Old 07-21-2017, 3:52 PM
Member
   
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Mojave Desert, California, USA
Posts: 1,877
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1nng View Post
Do you have any modded ham radios?
Whats your opinion on Amazon selling radios to anyone?
I realize you asked someone else, but hey, this is the Internet, and sometimes I feel that everyone should have the benefit of my opinion….

Yes on the modded radios. Most of my radios that can be modded are. Now the far more important question…do I use them to talk on other than Part 97 frequencies? No, I do not. Do I have public service transmit frequencies programmed in? No, I do not. Does it matter why I chose to mod my radios? No, it does not. My radios, I did it, not illegal, and I don’t use them for illegal purposes, done. If it is just because I suddenly felt the spontaneous need to modify electronics then so be it…or whatever other reason I have.

Opinion on Amazon selling radios? Let them…or anyone else who wants to sell radios…as long as the radios are legal to own.

Discussing regulating sales of ham radio gear is a nasty subject. There is just no way such regulation could go right.

Would the purpose of such regulation to be to control people, via hardware, so they cannot do something already illegal? Is this a further erosion of personal responsibility?

What about the budding ham that legitimately is on a path to getting a license, should he/she not be allowed to own a radio during the learning process? Would you force such a person to buy a receive-only radio before being licensed, only to have to shell out bucks again to buy a transceiver after getting licensed?

If only a licensed ham can buy ham gear, does that mean the gear he is allowed to buy cannot exceed his license level? So the Tech that gets on 10M cannot have a radio that does the rest of HF? Or the General cannot have a radio that covers Extra frequencies? All of this forcing people to repurchase as they go up in class?

Do we create yet another level of paperwork, where the radio dealer must record the sale of a radio and the fact that person had a license and the dealer checked the license? Next, of course, would be instant Federal database checks, because if I just wander into a ham shop and claim to have a license they would have to check my callsign, and some other form of ID, to make sure I did indeed have such a license.

And the list of potential issues goes on and on…

In the “old days” (pre microprocessor controlled radios) EVERY ham radio sold could transmit out of band, right out of the box, with no modification required. EVERY ham knew he/she was responsible for making sure he/she was operating legally with regard to frequency, regardless of what the radio was capable of.

More sellers selling radios means prices will stay as low as possible. Now, should some of these radios be sold at all in the US is a different question. I don’t care about what frequencies the radio will operate on with or without modding, I do care about companies being able to certify radios themselves by just filling paperwork with the FCC that claims “we, or our selected testing house, have done these tests, and all is good”, with no FCC or accredited third party confirmation.

T!
Reply With Quote
  #115 (permalink)  
Old 07-21-2017, 4:23 PM
Member
   
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 273
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Token View Post
I realize you asked someone else, but hey, this is the Internet, and sometimes I feel that everyone should have the benefit of my opinion….

Yes on the modded radios. Most of my radios that can be modded are. Now the far more important question…do I use them to talk on other than Part 97 frequencies? No, I do not. Do I have public service transmit frequencies programmed in? No, I do not. Does it matter why I chose to mod my radios? No, it does not. My radios, I did it, not illegal, and I don’t use them for illegal purposes, done. If it is just because I suddenly felt the spontaneous need to modify electronics then so be it…or whatever other reason I have.

Opinion on Amazon selling radios? Let them…or anyone else who wants to sell radios…as long as the radios are legal to own.

Discussing regulating sales of ham radio gear is a nasty subject. There is just no way such regulation could go right.

Would the purpose of such regulation to be to control people, via hardware, so they cannot do something already illegal? Is this a further erosion of personal responsibility?

What about the budding ham that legitimately is on a path to getting a license, should he/she not be allowed to own a radio during the learning process? Would you force such a person to buy a receive-only radio before being licensed, only to have to shell out bucks again to buy a transceiver after getting licensed?

If only a licensed ham can buy ham gear, does that mean the gear he is allowed to buy cannot exceed his license level? So the Tech that gets on 10M cannot have a radio that does the rest of HF? Or the General cannot have a radio that covers Extra frequencies? All of this forcing people to repurchase as they go up in class?

Do we create yet another level of paperwork, where the radio dealer must record the sale of a radio and the fact that person had a license and the dealer checked the license? Next, of course, would be instant Federal database checks, because if I just wander into a ham shop and claim to have a license they would have to check my callsign, and some other form of ID, to make sure I did indeed have such a license.

And the list of potential issues goes on and on…

In the “old days” (pre microprocessor controlled radios) EVERY ham radio sold could transmit out of band, right out of the box, with no modification required. EVERY ham knew he/she was responsible for making sure he/she was operating legally with regard to frequency, regardless of what the radio was capable of.

More sellers selling radios means prices will stay as low as possible. Now, should some of these radios be sold at all in the US is a different question. I don’t care about what frequencies the radio will operate on with or without modding, I do care about companies being able to certify radios themselves by just filling paperwork with the FCC that claims “we, or our selected testing house, have done these tests, and all is good”, with no FCC or accredited third party confirmation.

T!
Let's be honest has government red tape introduced into any business ever yielded a simpler easier way of doing anything, the answer is no .
Besides if only hams had ham gear foxhunts would be boring and nobodys coax would get pinned.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #116 (permalink)  
Old 07-23-2017, 5:34 PM
Coyote-Frostbyte's Avatar
Member
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Colorado, New Mexico
Posts: 546
Default

Quote (de K1NNG) :
.
"kk4jug,question :
Do you have any modded ham radios?
Whats your opinion on Amazon selling radios to anyone?"
.
That's quite a loaded question of KK4JUG... I dismissed it initially as just-- well-- just something to dismiss (for lack of a better term.)
.
But looking at it anew-- makes me wonder: Just *Why* did you ask ?
.
That topic is certainly emotion-charged (and one that I've no interest in wading into!)
.
I hope it was not tossed out, like a firebrand into a haystack-- to see what reaction would ensue.
Before anyone takes that (possible) bait, the reason behind that question may be very salient......
.
.
...............CF

Last edited by Coyote-Frostbyte; 07-23-2017 at 5:45 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #117 (permalink)  
Old 07-23-2017, 5:55 PM
KK4JUG's Avatar
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Columbus, GA
Posts: 956
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1nng View Post
kk4jug,question :

Do you have any modded ham radios?
Whats your opinion on Amazon selling radios to anyone?
No, I don't. Everything I own is like it came out of the factory.

It's a free country and there are no laws against it.

Why do you ask?
Reply With Quote
  #118 (permalink)  
Old 07-24-2017, 9:04 PM
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Campbell County, Wyoming
Posts: 354
Default

As this thread continues to grow, I thought I would put in my two cents. Part 97 of the FCC rules covers the Amateur Service. In addition to what frequencies, modes, and power levels are authorized, there is a simple to understand part that says who we are authorized to communicate with (97.111 if interested). Unauthorized stations are not on the list. As amateur radio operators, 'I didn't know' is a little feeble. The basic reason for the tests are to ensure that you do 'know'

It's your license -I have had mine for almost 40 years now and have some respect for it. We don't need test questions covering everything-the general rule is if you don't know-don't. The general rule (if followed) will keep you out of trouble until you can check and do know.

73

Last edited by wyShack; 07-24-2017 at 9:12 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #119 (permalink)  
Old 09-13-2017, 1:35 AM
Was k2ool/k1nng
   
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 1,325
Default

Heck you should hear the repaters in NYC, that the FCC is not monitoring at all, why should you even need a license to operate the way they do? Check most of the bigger linked systems in NYC, you will see what I am talking about.Cursing,keying over each other,heck tonight I heard farting noises!So whats the difference now? They should just make ham radio license free if these people are going to do this.
Mod your radio or not,heck if you transmit on 154.600 or whatever and you conduct yourself in a professional manner, I bet nobody would even notice you there (provided you werent interfering)..Most police,fire and EMS have migrated to 700 and 800 mhz! Why would they care? They're digital.
Wheres people's respect for their callsign or ham radio in general?! I ask this because I search with my scanner, no I dont bother with ham radio since it turned into what I want to call worse than CB .Its entertaining like TV.

Last edited by Southernsky; 09-13-2017 at 1:41 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #120 (permalink)  
Old 09-13-2017, 3:59 PM
k6cpo's Avatar
Member
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 555
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1nng View Post
Heck you should hear the repaters in NYC, that the FCC is not monitoring at all, why should you even need a license to operate the way they do? Check most of the bigger linked systems in NYC, you will see what I am talking about.Cursing,keying over each other,heck tonight I heard farting noises!So whats the difference now? They should just make ham radio license free if these people are going to do this.
Mod your radio or not,heck if you transmit on 154.600 or whatever and you conduct yourself in a professional manner, I bet nobody would even notice you there (provided you werent interfering)..Most police,fire and EMS have migrated to 700 and 800 mhz! Why would they care? They're digital.
Wheres people's respect for their callsign or ham radio in general?! I ask this because I search with my scanner, no I dont bother with ham radio since it turned into what I want to call worse than CB .Its entertaining like TV.
What you're describing is an isolated incident. Most licensed amateur radio operators are respectful and operate within the rules. The few "no-lifers" that still live in their mother's basement crying out for attention aren't going to deter the rest of us from enjoying our hobby.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 2:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
All information here is Copyright 2012 by RadioReference.com LLC and Lindsay C. Blanton III.Ad Management by RedTyger
Copyright 2015 by RadioReference.com LLC Privacy Policy  |  Terms and Conditions