RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Amateur Radio > Amateur Radio General Discussion

Amateur Radio General Discussion - General discussion forum for amateur radio topics not covered by the above forums.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-01-2017, 11:03 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Location: Davenport,Fl.- home to me and the gators and the skeeters.
Default Courtesy

That's the reason I move off the calling freq.
Sponsored links
Old 03-01-2017, 11:50 AM

The HF "calling frequencies" on those pages are utterly inaccurate in my experience.

It all depends on what part of the country/world you live in.

For example, around here 7.295 is the primary AM "calling frequency" on 75m.
Old 03-01-2017, 11:54 AM

As for using 146.52, I've done it a lot. People around here do it a fair amount. We leave pauses for people to break in.

There have been people who complained that they didn't like to monitor 52 because of the ragchew. But those very same people NEVER EVER answer any transient motorist or some other CQ on 52. (I know because I monitor 52 all the time.) Only use regular ragchewers answer CQs. Why would they "monitor" if they never answer a CQ? It's obvious they just like to be "channel cops" and so we don't care about their opinion. Their actions betray them. So, we just filed that in the "whatever" folder and do what we do.

Bottom line: use 52 to ragchew, just leave room for breaking stations.

That's my take on it. If you disagree fine, but don't waste your time complaining to me about it.
Old 03-01-2017, 6:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill4long View Post
As for using 146.52, I've done it a lot. People around here do it a fair amount. We leave pauses for people to break in.

There have been people who complained that they didn't like to monitor 52 because of the ragchew. But those very same people NEVER EVER answer any transient motorist or some other CQ on 52. (I know because I monitor 52 all the time.) Only use regular ragchewers answer CQs. Why would they "monitor" if they never answer a CQ? It's obvious they just like to be "channel cops" and so we don't care about their opinion. Their actions betray them. So, we just filed that in the "whatever" folder and do what we do.

Bottom line: use 52 to ragchew, just leave room for breaking stations.

That's my take on it. If you disagree fine, but don't waste your time complaining to me about it.
Good point! A lot of hams also don't respond to other hams who say they are "listening" on repeaters! I have found that one will get WAY more responses on .52 (or on repeaters) if they just come on asking for a radio check!
Old 03-01-2017, 10:01 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

That might be in your area, not in mine. As I stated earlier, that is where CB went down the tubes and became a free for all. Just like the bunch on 3840.

Encouraging proper use of two-way radio spectrum including CB.

Last edited by robertmac; 03-01-2017 at 10:05 PM..
Sponsored links
Old 03-02-2017, 8:24 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSpaceMann View Post
Good point! A lot of hams also don't respond to other hams who say they are "listening" on repeaters! I have found that one will get WAY more responses on .52 (or on repeaters) if they just come on asking for a radio check!
There is one ham in my area who calls for a "radio check" several times a day. He has been doing this for the three years I've known him:
"This is KC9xyz standing by for a radio check."

Occasionally I will reply to him with:
"KC9xyz here is N4GIX. Tony, I've counted and see that I still have all my radios! Apparently you haven't lost yours either 'cause I just heard you call..."

Unfortunately the gentle hint hasn't penetrated yet.
Old 03-02-2017, 11:00 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Location: Davenport,Fl.- home to me and the gators and the skeeters.

We use to say we didn't accept "radio checks" because they were "non negotiable". lol
Old 03-02-2017, 12:48 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC4RAF View Post
We use to say we didn't accept "radio checks" because they were "non negotiable". lol
Oh, I like that! Maybe better that "radio czechs?"
Old 03-02-2017, 3:49 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

You know, personally I think "Radio Check" is great
Its sort of a Half CQ. A full CQ seems to convey the impression you want to hold a long conversation- and my impression when hearing one is "do I have the time or interest in talking that much?" But that call for a "check" can be answer'd in a few words-- which then often leads into that conversation--
...Ahhhhh !..... so many very memorable chats started with my answering; "can anyone give me a signal report?."
Want a good example?-- try a simple "can I get a radio check?' on CB channel 19.......
Well, perhaps on CB that was not a good example- could be its the female voice that helps........
.................................................C F

Last edited by Coyote-Frostbyte; 03-02-2017 at 3:53 PM.. Reason: the pixies are dancing on my keyboard
Old 03-03-2017, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N4GIX View Post
There is one ham in my area who calls for a "radio check" several times a day. He has been doing this for the three years I've known him:
"This is KC9xyz standing by for a radio check."

Occasionally I will reply to him with:
"KC9xyz here is N4GIX. Tony, I've counted and see that I still have all my radios! Apparently you haven't lost yours either 'cause I just heard you call..."

Unfortunately the gentle hint hasn't penetrated yet.
Well at least you didn't say "The check is in the mail!"
Old 03-03-2017, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyote-Frostbyte View Post
You know, personally I think "Radio Check" is great
Its sort of a Half CQ. A full CQ seems to convey the impression you want to hold a long conversation- and my impression when hearing one is "do I have the time or interest in talking that much?" But that call for a "check" can be answer'd in a few words-- which then often leads into that conversation--
...Ahhhhh !..... so many very memorable chats started with my answering; "can anyone give me a signal report?."
Want a good example?-- try a simple "can I get a radio check?' on CB channel 19.......
Well, perhaps on CB that was not a good example- could be its the female voice that helps........
.................................................C F
Yeah, just come on with a female voice and you're bound to get a lot of responses! I think when one asks for a "radio check", it appeals to a ham's sense of wanting to help, or to just "lend a hand" to another ham!
Old 03-03-2017, 11:23 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

when i hear "looking for a radio check" i think to myself "the 10-4 is strong in that one"

/me waits for the fish slap
Old 03-03-2017, 2:42 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

The local marina is owned by the city, and they have several guards who have their own talk group on the Lake County Consolidated system. Their supervisor calls for a check ever hour from each of the three guards on duty. How he calls them is excessively annoying. Put on your best southern drawl and say out loud:

"Gate 1 raaaadio check-check-check" (the last three are staccato and said fast)

Every time I'd hear him it made me want to go find him and b*tch slap him!
Old 03-09-2017, 1:35 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertmac View Post
So they are no longer calling frequencies? Then let's do away with that terminology. Call them hang out frequencies. This is the way CB went to pot years ago when we had designated monitoring frequencies and talking frequencies. Then people started to do what ever they wanted. It drove away those wanting to monitor for calls when people started to use monitoring frequencies for talking. One would think with all the frequencies available, we could designate a calling frequency and all others as talking. Not sure what is so hard with that?

Encouraging proper use of two-way radio spectrum including CB.
Your post brings back fond memories of Vallejo, California in 1972. It was 5 years before "Smokey and the Bandit" which started the big CB craze, and we only had 23 channels available. Channel 20 was the Call Channel monitored by everyone in that town. You called whoever you were looking for, and if they answered you would move off to another channel. If you didn't move off, someone would gently remind you that you were being a "bucket-mouth" on the Call Channel. It was a good example of Common Courtesy, which seems to have been lost in some areas of the country these days.
Old 03-09-2017, 7:30 PM

I'd rather listen to people talking long hours in the calling freq. than a deafening silence especially when doing long drives.
Old 03-09-2017, 10:02 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

But sometimes the deafening silence is better than the crap that is discussed on the calling frequency. Which often sounds, unfortunately, like 19.
Old 03-09-2017, 10:32 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertmac View Post
But sometimes the deafening silence is better than the crap that is discussed on the calling frequency. Which often sounds, unfortunately, like 19.

If you don't like the QSO on a particular frequency, and prefer silence, you should just spin the VFO, or turn the radio off.
Old 03-10-2017, 10:28 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto View Post
If you don't like the QSO on a particular frequency, and prefer silence, you should just spin the VFO, or turn the radio off.
Amen brother!
Old 03-24-2017, 12:32 AM

I'm a bit late to the party, perhaps, but having been a ham for about 40 years, I remember a few things that don't seem to be so anymore. Maybe someone else can shed some light...

Back in the 70's, 146.52 was referred to as the "National Simplex Frequency", as was 446.0. Nothing about them being "calling frequencies". When did that change come about? I don't remember any announcements, they just sort of evolved into "calling frequencies", in my estimation by someone who had no clue as to the history behind them.

Some of the conflict may simply be a batch of guys who remember what it used to be.

Last edited by zz0468; 03-24-2017 at 12:37 AM..
Old 03-24-2017, 2:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz0468 View Post
I'm a bit late to the party, perhaps, but having been a ham for about 40 years, I remember a few things that don't seem to be so anymore. Maybe someone else can shed some light...

Back in the 70's, 146.52 was referred to as the "National Simplex Frequency", as was 446.0. Nothing about them being "calling frequencies". When did that change come about? I don't remember any announcements, they just sort of evolved into "calling frequencies", in my estimation by someone who had no clue as to the history behind them.

Some of the conflict may simply be a batch of guys who remember what it used to be.
Interesting point. Do you remember if there were long conversations on those frequencies back then?