RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Amateur Radio > Amateur Radio General Discussion

Amateur Radio General Discussion - General discussion forum for amateur radio topics not covered by the above forums.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-07-2017, 11:57 AM
Lead Wiki Manager
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I am amused by these comments about repeaters being "dead" or falling out of fashion. There's one repeater my my area that is pretty much constant conversation during morning and evening drive time. There's another repeater that, in addition to the drive times, is often busy well into the evening. Some of the digital voice repeaters also have a fair amount of activity. The repeaters that are used for local ARES or Skywarn activities usually have weekly check-in nets.

OTOH, 146.520 MHz is very quiet around here.

"The whole world's living in a digital dream. It's not really there, it's all on the screen." -- WB6ACU
Sponsored links
Old 06-07-2017, 3:24 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Location: Davenport,Fl.- home to me and the gators and the skeeters.

Same here. There's 3 repeaters that I monitor all the time and they pretty much are busy. One has QSOs quite a few times during the day and night.
Repeaters are alive and kicking down here...
Old 06-07-2017, 6:32 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Interesting twist to the topic.
I think what people have been describing, but without doing so directly, or perhaps knowingly- is the history and maturation of the two metre band. I'll extend that to the V/UHF bands too, but I think its mostly a 2M phenomenon.
Why?
Well, look at what 2 metre's was years ago... a band for Tech's, Novice and a few avant garde higher class experimenters who were either very experimental, or were communicators on AM. I realize there was other stuff on 2, but for the most part this was a Tech band filled with converted SCR-522, ARC-1's, Two'ers-- a homebrew'rs paradise---
Personal history:
My father gave me (for my 'museum') one of his beautiful HB'd 2 metre AM transmitters, now glowing on my library shelf . Open chassis, it starts out at 8Mhz- a 6EA8 oscillator/multiplier to a 5763 IPA- a 829 push/pull PA, plate modulated by a pair of 6L6's-- 40 watts out...... I turn it on every once and awhile (it makes a neat night-light , ) tap its mic and watch the blue gassy final flicker, and the filaments glow- an object d'arte---- the Golden Age of Two (??)
Sorry- anyone who knows me knows I can get carried away into this radio history stuff.....
Back to my point. Then FM came on the scene- and I'm sure you all know the story-- the first converted high band radios from the commercial services flood'd into the surplus market as their users went to the newer narrower band requirements. My grandfather had one of these first converts (RCA's ?) on 146.94- he used it mobile. A real boat anchor; tubes, vibrator power supply- you had to really watch the battery or it would go dead and leave you stranded beside the road (that's why photo's of police cars of that era are often seen at speed traps with their hoods up- their engine running- to prevent over heating- as they use their radios to notify the chase cars down stream.)
Then it was in a blink of an eye and --Repeaters!
Everyone was on them, everyone wanted their own- and they proliferated across the country...... and they remain there today
As ham radio of the 60'/70's matured into the 80's/90's and beyond- Licensing got easier, Techs went to 10, code was dropped, interest in 2 didn't go away, but it got diluted. The repeaters stayed.
Today, I think the number of repeaters far out number their users- the same mentality as in the past, but now its still "everyone wants one but where are these users?" Hence the popularity of certain machines/unpopularity of others. Being social creatures, hams will flock to where the activity is. There the incessant chatter on the popular repeaters drives some people to complain, but they would not think of going over to the lifeless machines- no one's there. As the 2 metre population matures, many find the rewards of simplex- like going back to those golden AM days; a peaceful retreat.
Personally??.. (well, after all this is just a personal observation - maybe a rant, No?)
From my home in Colorado I can access one very popular repeater- one very high up machine on Mosquito Pass- its linked and covers the whole state, or so it seems.
I hardly ever listen to it.
I can also access several never-used repeaters- and I never listen to them either- why should I?... there is never any activity. So, in my mountain valley I leave a radio on '52'- I call it my "maturity channel.'
I seldom hear anything there either.
............................................CF
was there a point to all this?.. it was history fun... .

Last edited by Coyote-Frostbyte; 06-07-2017 at 6:40 PM..
Old 06-08-2017, 12:31 AM

I lived in Colorado between '94-'99 and there wasa 70 cm machine that my brother and XYL & couple of other locals would meet up on to chew the rag one week to often and the owner asked us to please not use the machine he liked the silence and disuse, we chatted all together about an hour on friday or saturday night we lived all over city and couhty but couldn't work simplex , but could all meet on that machine,from that day on we couldn't all work a machine so we devolved into eyeballs, and none of us used our rigs much because it was a ghost town .

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk
Old 06-08-2017, 11:05 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I have never run into dead repeaters In Southern Maine we had chitchats on many Maine repeaters into NH repeaters [to the point 1 night we had some complaints we on 2 mtr were sounding like CBers. [OH the Horror]. In South Carolina [upstate area many were on all night shooting the breeze was nice when you was working to listen to someone else. Here in Dallas I monitor many repeaters a lot of nets and lots of chit chats going on I have even monitored simplex for quite a few in all three areas I lived in.
Old 06-09-2017, 9:44 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

The Owens Valley in Eastern California doesn't have a lot of repeater coverage. When I'm in the area, I monitor the Mazourka and/or Silver Peak repeaters (which are linked). There's usually enough traffic to keep things interesting, but not a constant drone of chatter. The BARC nightly net is a friendly group.

I also try to monitor 146.52 since I have a pretty clear (RF) view of Hwy 395 south of Lone Pine. There is usually very little traffic. Sometimes locals doing a quick back and forth and occasionally vehicles transitioning the area or backcountry 4x4 travelers. I've never heard any really long rag chews.
Old 06-09-2017, 11:47 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Certain repeaters have cliquish crowds that aren't welcoming of newcomers and or very particular about things. Then there are RACES or ARES repeaters where the club members are only on for nets and are on HF the rest of the time. Heck, there are ones that don't get on when there is an actual emergency like a tornado.
Old 07-15-2017, 7:54 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default SOLUTION

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief21 View Post
What is the accepted protocol for the use of VHF or UHF calling frequencies?

I routinely scan the designated VHF and UHF calling frequencies (146.520 / 446.000) in the event that someone might call for some type of assistance. Recently, however, several local hams have started using 146.52 (most frequently) or 446.00 (less frequently) for extended simplex QSO's. It seems to me that this effectively discourages any routine monitoring of these designated calling frequencies.

It has always been my understanding that once initial contact is made on a calling frequency, continued discussion should be moved to some other frequency. I'd be interested to know the opinions of others.

Thanks.

John AC4JK

I have a Solution! We as hams should set up an Emergency/roadside assitance frequency that hams could monitor for hams that need help.
Old 07-16-2017, 2:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1nng View Post
I have a Solution! We as hams should set up an Emergency/roadside assitance frequency that hams could monitor for hams that need help.
Exactly! Just like the CBers had years ago with channel 9!!
Old 07-16-2017, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSpaceMann View Post
Exactly! Just like the CBers had years ago with channel 9!!
If you have APRS turn on voice alert and a 100 .0 pl if you blow your call on 4.39 it will alert anybody in simplex range ,same idea if you need help .

Old 07-16-2017, 12:13 PM

Or you could just dial 911 on your cell phone
Old 07-16-2017, 12:49 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1nng View Post
Yeah, 911 or AAA. I can do either or both.
Old 07-16-2017, 5:50 PM

Some are too dammed stuck into their toy phones. I do enjoy the Red Eye net off of Keller PK.

Mazourka Peek, that brings back memories fixing the repeater there. Long nasty road and no AC power, good thing I had a 12 volt cord for the service monitor. So I can say BTDT....
Old 07-20-2017, 9:26 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I refuse to "buy into" the ripoff cellphone thing,Oh but for $45 a month.....
I am not paying anything even $1 a month.
Thanks for being so nice on Radio reference.People on Qrz were bashing my dead father after I mentioned a Voluntary emergency frequency.
And yes,People are just so stuck on their cellphones for everything.....People walk and their eyes are glued on these things.One lady I saw fell and she hit her head,rather than try to save herself,she hit her head Bang on the pavement,and saved the phone instead.Imagine that?She doesnt care about a brain injury but she cares about a phone that will be obsolete in 1 day!
Attached Images

Last edited by k1nng; 07-20-2017 at 9:32 PM..
Old 07-20-2017, 9:49 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

You may find this hard to believe but some of can use both successfully.

If it was just a phone, I (maybe) could see your point. My phone gives me weather, shows weather radar, let's me look up your license, find the nearest repeaters, takes pictures, lets me check baseball scores. call my brother in Dallas and my sister in Wichita and on and on and on.

And, as to the women who hurt her head, I'm guessing she had health insurance but no insurance on her phone.
Old 07-20-2017, 9:52 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Phones work great where theres a celltower,I find my Yaesu works better in spots on Route 78.
No worries,I keep a jack and all kinds of tools with me,in the vehicles theres not one but two spares.
Cant afford a cellphone,just way too expensive.I know people that pay way over $100/month.
And the flip side of that in NJ here theres many yappers on 146.520.
So youre damned if you do and youre damned if you dont.
Old 07-20-2017, 10:12 PM

I refuse to pay the cellphone extortion, if I need a phone i can bring up a patch. I have 30+ year old radios that I use all the time , but most phone slaves can't use a 3 year old phone ,or have some real fun give them an old bag phone and watch the myth and get service ! .