Repeater Listings by Highway?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LTCSZ

OK, I know I'm getting older and can't remember stuff like I used to, but I know I have seen a website that will list repeaters by travel route; Just list the Interstate or Highway and get a list of repeaters close to that route...Can someone refresh my memory and provide me with a site that does this? Thanks a lot...

Steve KA1OWC

wrath

If you use the ARRL and RT systems you can plot various routes out anywhere in North America and have all the info uploaded to your rig , it's very convient , it can also be used in other countries if you need it.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

wrath

The problem with the books is they are outdated when they are being printed let alone when they get to you , I used to buy those things every year ,they are just a waste of paper , on top of that I would hazard a guess and say most people who repopulate memories on a large scale , do it by computer ,but even those databases have a hard time keeping up with changes in repeater coverage , but something that can be updated on the fly by users has a better chance of being accurate , than a book published yearly .

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
NMHO, none of the sources are maintained. I've travel thousands of miles using information from many sources and I would estimate that 1 out of 15 repeaters was active, based on frequency, PL, etc. from the sources. I've about quit using the ham rig on the road.

KD8DVR

OK, I know I'm getting older and can't remember stuff like I used to, but I know I have seen a website that will list repeaters by travel route; Just list the Interstate or Highway and get a list of repeaters close to that route...Can someone refresh my memory and provide me with a site that does this? Thanks a lot...

Steve KA1OWC
Repeaterbook.com has that capability.

AntiSquid Disclaimer: All posted content is personal opinion only and may not imply fact or accusation.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Over the years, I've used several different sources to find repeater frequencies. All of the sources seem to have information that may have been credible at one time or another. I think the last one I used was Repeaterbook. I was traveling from Columbus,, GA to Bay City, MI. I entered 2m and .70m freqs only. Using RT Systems software, I entered 198 freqs into my Kenwood TM-V71 radio. The software makes it difficult to make a mistake but, as I usually do, I double-checked the frequencies and PL tones, offsets, etc., after I entered them. I only entered freqs that were said to be near the roads I was driving. For the entire round trip (approx. 1850 miles using mostly I-75), I talked with 3 people. In addition, I was only able to activate 24 repeaters when I "checked in." That's a little over 12%. It was hardly worth the effort.

ecps92

Correct and it also has a feature where you can Report the Repeater as Valid or DOA :cool:
Repeaterbook.com has that capability.

AntiSquid Disclaimer: All posted content is personal opinion only and may not imply fact or accusation.

KD8DVR

Over the years, I've used several different sources to find repeater frequencies. All of the sources seem to have information that may have been credible at one time or another. I think the last one I used was Repeaterbook. I was traveling from Columbus,, GA to Bay City, MI. I entered 2m and .70m freqs only. Using RT Systems software, I entered 198 freqs into my Kenwood TM-V71 radio. The software makes it difficult to make a mistake but, as I usually do, I double-checked the frequencies and PL tones, offsets, etc., after I entered them. I only entered freqs that were said to be near the roads I was driving. For the entire round trip (approx. 1850 miles using mostly I-75), I talked with 3 people. In addition, I was only able to activate 24 repeaters when I "checked in." That's a little over 12%. It was hardly worth the effort.

Some admins aren't on the ball... some admins, though, run a pretty tight ship. On trips, I sometimes try to contact the repeater owners on my route beforehand, then submit updates to Repeaterbook. It helps keep it accurate.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Some admins aren't on the ball... some admins, though, run a pretty tight ship. On trips, I sometimes try to contact the repeater owners on my route beforehand, then submit updates to Repeaterbook. It helps keep it accurate.

Updating the information is a great feature but I usually travel alone and I can't record the status of the repeater while I'm driving.

TheSpaceMann

I agree that it is pretty worthless on road trips, but I will set my HT on 146.52 and even at that, I almost never hear anything.
Amateur repeater activity has substantially slowed down in many areas. You may actually find more activity on 11 meters!

N5TWB

The source for the data on the sites mentioned in this thread are the various state repeater coordination organizations so I generally go directly to those sites to find their database page. It's going to be the most current info in my experience. Of course, that doesn't keep a repeater owner from being deceptive about the status of the repeater or the occasional unplanned outage. The lack of traffic on repeaters only gets solved when people become willing to engage with those outside their usual circle of buddies from the rush hour crew or members of the same club. Just humans being human, I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.