GFI rattles on mic key...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mparker

I discovered today that when ever I key my radio (2200h) or my HT that a GFI built into the cord on a hairdryer freaks out, sounds like a solenoid.

The GFI outlet is fine and doesn't do anything. Its just the one that is the plug of the hairdryer.

Is the because of a GFI plugged into a GFI?

jim202

I discovered today that when ever I key my radio (2200h) or my HT that a GFI built into the cord on a hairdryer freaks out, sounds like a solenoid.

The GFI outlet is fine and doesn't do anything. Its just the one that is the plug of the hairdryer.

Is the because of a GFI plugged into a GFI?

Sounds like too much RF is finding it's way to the GFI involved. You can try adding a ferrite core to the line cored close to the GFI giving you the problem. You can move the antenna further away. Last resort is to contact the company that made the GFI and ask them for a solution. The next thing to try is to go buy a different hair dryer. What ever makes the user of the hair dryer happy.

Jim

mparker

Thanks.

I've wondered about cutting the appliance gfi off and putting a regular plug on it.

I suppose the most simple solution is just leave it unplugged.

n0nhp

GFCI and AFCI Devices

Some early GFCI breakers were susceptible to RFI but as the technology has improved, fewer and fewer such reports have been received. While it is possible to add filtering or RF suppression to the breaker wiring, a simpler and less expensive solution is to simply replace the GFCI breaker with a new unit less susceptible to RF.
Full article at link

Bruce

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.