2017 Hamvention New Items Announced?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well Hamvention has come and gone. I attempted to follow the updates as they came out. Unfortunately, I didn't find anything interesting besides the Icom 7610 (I think that's the model number). But nothing in terms of DMR, Brandmeister etc...

Does anyone know what else came about? Or was it a snooze fest?

N9IIT

I'm curious as to whether the change in venue for the first time in decades resulted in a remarkable change in attendance

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
The IC-7610 was announced at the Tokyo Ham Fair last summer and there has been much talk about it on-line ever since. Icom did have a working copy at Hamvention, but it does not have FCC certification, so access was limited.

Flex showed some new pre-production radios including a couple models where they are building the Maestro interface into the box with the RF deck. The cynics and pundits are saying that Flex is trying address the competition from Icom in the SDR HF radio market.

I'm not aware that Kenwood or Yaesu showed anything new. Oh, wait, Yaesu did talk a lot about their DR-2X repeater which is the successor to the DR-1X. Details of their trade-in program will be on their web site.

DMR is a commercial protocol. The companies who build radios for the commercial market typically don't exhibit at Hamvention. The Chinese companies who build inexpensive radios for the commercial market typically don't exhibit at Hamvention, either. The days of the guy showing up at Hamvention with a crate of cheap, Chinese radios and wowing the crowd have passed.

A German company was there with a new HF amplifier that is only available in kit form.

I'm sure there were the usual collection of new product ideas, usually SDR- or microcontroller-based, being displayed by folks who are trying to break into the market.

BTW, I didn't attend Hamvention this year. What I posted above is what I have learned from various on-line and social media postings.

Oh, attendance? Rumors are talking about 30,000 which would be up about 5k from previous years. We won't see an "official" attendance number posted for a few months.

chief21

Premium Subscriber
Summer - Western NC; Winter - Tampa Bay FL
I was at Hamvention on Friday. Inbound traffic to the main parking was a mess and lots of complaints were heard over the radio. On the other hand, the shuttle buses from the satellite parking areas and back again were frequent and received good comments.

The new venue was pretty nice, but more spread out (lots more walking). Restrooms were more plentiful and relatively clean (if you've ever been to Hara, you know what I mean). I circulated through the three main buildings and several smaller areas, but it was pretty warm and very (very!) crowded, so I did not see much of the tailgate areas.

John

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
I was at Hamvention on Friday. Inbound traffic to the main parking was a mess and lots of complaints were heard over the radio. On the other hand, the shuttle buses from the satellite parking areas and back again were frequent and received good comments.

I just got home at 12:48 pm yesterday after having left my hotel in Jeffersonville, OH at 7:05 am. Thank goodness for rest areas every half-hour or so!  

On-site parking was reserved for ADA attendees. Even though this was posted well in advance on the Hamvention website, quite a number of non-ADA drivers obviously missed the memo. That accounts for most of the truly horrible traffic congestion!

Friday's parking was excellent, but unfortunately due to the light rain in the late afternoon, followed by a huge downpour that lasted most of the night, the grassy parking areas had turned into a soupy mess by Saturday afternoon. Fortunately, they were prudent enough to have two Bobcats rigged with a snatch-chain to pull stuck vehicles out of the bog. Placing straw where the cars had to drive would have helped a lot.

Regarding the ADA folks, I saw several with power chairs get stuck trying to reach their cars, again some sturdy volunteers were ready and prepared to assist these folks in their distress with courtesy and helped to restore their good humor. Again, some straw placed in the lanes where the cars and chairs had to maneuver would have helped.

Speaking for myself, as I spent the majority of my time there as a volunteer "Shuttle Driver" of a 6 pax luxury golf cart, I was able to meet and gather the impressions from literally hundreds of attendees. With only two exceptions, the comments were extremely positive! One of the exceptions was a lady complaining at the lack of an air-conditioned building where she could have eaten her lunch. The other was a gentleman who complained about the ADA parking areas not being signed well enough. He completely forgot where he'd parked his rental car. I personally drove him from Fairgrounds road practically to the NE corner of the soccer fields before we finally found his car. Although he did thank me profusely for my patience, his final comment was a complaint that he'd gotten a speck of mud on his white trousers... :roll: <thud!> I spent forty-five minutes personally helping him.

My major lessons learned was to make certain that I take rain gear with me next year, as well as a pair of "big boy pants." Since I only took shorts, both my knees got rather sunburned! :lol:

Altogether, I had an absolute ball and am really looking forward to next year!

As for DMR, the only new release I noted was the Connect Systems CS800D, the dual-band version of the CS800. See: Connect Systems

I did not see the European dual-band DMR that was previewed at last year's Hamvention at the Hara Arena. :confused:

Good stuff you guys...

Keep the positive/negative and recommendations comments coming in, as I'm sure the event organizers do read these forums!!!

Hopefully, they'll take this feedback for a better 2018 Hamvention!

chief21

Premium Subscriber
Summer - Western NC; Winter - Tampa Bay FL
N4GIX (Bill) -

Let me offer my thanks for taking the time to volunteer at Hamvention. There is NO way that this event could ever happen without a ton of volunteers! As one who attends every other year (more or less), I appreciate the efforts of all the volunteers.

John
AC4JK

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
N4GIX (Bill) -

Let me offer my thanks for taking the time to volunteer at Hamvention. There is NO way that this event could ever happen without a ton of volunteers! As one who attends every other year (more or less), I appreciate the efforts of all the volunteers.

John
AC4JK
Boy you aren't kidding! I was actually shocked that there were ~700 parking spaces reserved for Committee Volunteers.

As I remarked to one of the organizers, they could have charged for the privilege of driving the "Shuttle Carts" as it was more fun than driving GoKarts! :lol:

One of the main reasons for me to volunteer is that I'm not physically able to be on my feet more than three to four hours each day, so sitting in a golf cart was the best use of my time, while still allowing me time to do some shopping and looking at the neat equipment. I only bought one item there, which was a TSRB (Triple-Switch Ratio Balun) for my new BuddiPole antenna system. I got to meet Bud and his son while there so that was a plus.

For the Whistler fans, I did note that "Whistler Windy" really is a red head! :p

phask

Premium Subscriber
"My major lessons learned was to make certain that I take rain gear with me next year, as well as a pair of "big boy pants." "

The first rule of Hamvention is " It always rains.

Weather is only perfect if you don't go.

Status
Not open for further replies.