Help Newbie with NOAA frequencies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Murphy625

Hi Folks,
I purchased an ICOM 746 and connected it to a ZS6BKW G5RV ZS80 dipole antenna.. I have the antenna about 25 to 30 feet in the air and running back to the radio through some Columbia RG-8 coax (100 ft).

Anyhow, when I'm in the 40 meter (7mhz) range, I'm picking up people all over the eastern USA..

So I went to try to pick up the NOAA stations.. there's one here in Flint, MI and another in White Lake (both are only 20 minute drive for me).. They're operating at 162.475 and I can't seem to hear a peep out of either of them.

I have not gotten any license yet so at this point, my ICOM 746 doesn't even have a mic plugged in as I'm just learning what all the buttons do.

Am I not able to hear these NOAA stations because my dipole isn't the right antenna for that high of a frequency? My calculations say that 162mhz is the 1.8 meter band..

Is this just an issue of getting the right antenna? I would have thought that since they are so close to me, and transmitting at 1000 watts, I should be able to hear something.

Thanks,

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
I don't have that radio, but looking at a picture online it has separate antenna jacks. Did you try the other jacks?

ab5r

You need a vertical antenna for the NOAA weather reception,not a horizontal G5RV type. They are also on narrow band FM, not SSB.

chief21

Premium Subscriber
Summer - Western NC; Winter - Tampa Bay FL
As another poster already mentioned, the ICOM 746 has a separate antenna connection for frequencies of 2m and above. You need to connect an appropriate antenna to the 144 MHz connection on the rear panel of the radio. You should also be aware the most of the frequencies in that range will use FM or NFM modulation.

John AC4JK

ab5r

If you are considering getting am amateur radio license and not just listen, I suggest getting dual band 2m./440 antenna.

Golay

NOAA weather radio

... So I went to try to pick up the NOAA stations.. there's one here in Flint, MI and another in White Lake (both are only 20 minute drive for me).. They're operating at 162.475 and I can't seem to hear a peep out of either of them ...

I can't help you with Flint.
But the National Weather Service in White Lake transmits on 162.55 from a transmitter in Southfield.
There is no transmitter in White Lake.

Golay

Why most certainly

That list is very valid. It's telling you that the National Weather Office in White Lake transmits it's information from five transmitters in Southeastern Michigan. The one I listen to is in Southfield on 162.550.

Your original post was querying why you couldn't hear White Lake on 162.475.
Just as the list tells you, there is no transmitter at the National Weather Office in White Lake.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.