220 MHZ

Status
Not open for further replies.

skynet888

Hello, ALL. I haven't been back for some time and thought I'd see what's happening for folks using the 220 mhz band? I find the 220 mhz band to be an excellent band that does well not only over distance but also through obstacles like buildings. I am continuing to use the TYT TH-9000D Mobile Car 60W moblile radio in my jeep and for a base radio in my house. My Omnidirectional isopole continues to work flawlessly at 1:1 and my RG 230 coax continuing to provide very low loss.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
222 MHz

The 1.25 meter band combines some of the best parts of 2 meters 70 centimeters. Have fun and help keep the band alive.

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
I know three people who have 220 repeaters. (I just met one today for coffee) The repeaters were up and running on high towers and tall buildings at one time, but right now, they're all collecting dust in their basements :) We have no active 220 repeaters here in VE4 land.

I have some other friends who are big into VHF/UHF weak signal work. They chase DX on 220 using CW and SSB. I don't have that capability.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
This past weekend, I ordered a Yaesu portable that included the 220 band. I'm looking forward to "playing" around with it.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
This past weekend, I ordered a Yaesu portable that included the 220 band.
Something like the VX-7? Unfortunately, I don't think any recent Yaesu handheld put out more than 1 watt on the 222 MHz band.

By comparison, the Kenwood TH-F6A, which has been discontinued within the past month, put out 5 watts on 222 MHz. Also, the new Kenwood TH-D74 is rated for 5 watts on 222 MHz plus it does APRS and D-STAR, consequently the price tag is pretty high.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
It's the VX-6R. The specs say it puts out 1.5W on 220. I really don't need it. I got it for the 220.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
222 MHz

One problem is that 222 is not legal in most parts of the world outside North America. There are a few HTs and mobiles available. I use the Anytone AT-3318UV-E (Wouxun is history | Buy a better radio, buy Anytone), and I believe there is a mobile version. A company called BridgeCom is the latest to try their hand at 222 and offers a repeater and HT.

skynet888

Hello, ALL. I haven't been back for some time and thought I'd see what's happening for folks using the 220 mhz band? I find the 220 mhz band to be an excellent band that does well not only over distance but also through obstacles like buildings. I am continuing to use the TYT TH-9000D Mobile Car 60W moblile radio in my jeep and for a base radio in my house. My Omnidirectional isopole continues to work flawlessly at 1:1 and my RG 230 coax continuing to provide very low loss.

Opps Coax I use is RG 213U

KD8DVR

Locally, there are 3 repeaters. Not a lot of traffic; but I respond to any callers. I'm usually listening anytime I'm in the shack. By letting people know there is someone listening, this motivates people to come back. I love the band.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
My Yaesu portable arrived today. The battery is charging now. (It's taking forever. It must have been almost dead.) I'm sure I'll give it a try before the day's over.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
The VX-6R has arrived, the battery has been charged, frequencies added and it's official: I like it! The specs say the 1.25m output is only 1.5W. Apparently, that's enough for me. According to RF Finder, the nearest 1.25m repeater is 28 miles away and the radio keys that repeater. I didn't get a response but I'm happy that it made it that far. I'll try it again tomorrow when the world is awake.

Incidentally, it's pretty easy to program. The standard +/- is already built into the program so you only need to enter the receive freq and CTCSS tone, if any.

TheSpaceMann

The VX-6R has arrived, the battery has been charged, frequencies added and it's official: I like it! The specs say the 1.25m output is only 1.5W. Apparently, that's enough for me. According to RF Finder, the nearest 1.25m repeater is 28 miles away and the radio keys that repeater. I didn't get a response but I'm happy that it made it that far. I'll try it again tomorrow when the world is awake.

Incidentally, it's pretty easy to program. The standard +/- is already built into the program so you only need to enter the receive freq and CTCSS tone, if any.
Sounds good!! Now see if you can get a response! Sometimes a radio can kerchunk a repeater, but not have enough strength to produce an intelligible audio signal. BTW, you can always build a simple 220 ground plane, which could increase your range significantly! :)

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Why did the powers-that-be decide to use -1.6 mHz as the offset for the 220 band? And it's a minus. Those kinds of minus calculations in your head are sometimes more difficult. You have to stop and think. (Neither math nor thinking rank high as the things I'm good at.) It would seem to me that 1 mHz would have been simpler.

(This a chance for the nerds out there to explain why compuration circuit next to the nitrogen generator in the middle preamp is better able to handle 1.6.)

KD2FIQ

I have the TYT radio. Great bargain. I love 220 MHz. Problem is no one is on it by me! I love the characteristics of the band. I've done tests where on simplex no copy on 2 meter or 70 centimeter but great copy on 220 MHz. This is with a small hill in the way at about 9 miles. Very cool!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

TheSpaceMann

I have the TYT radio. Great bargain. I love 220 MHz. Problem is no one is on it by me! I love the characteristics of the band. I've done tests where on simplex no copy on 2 meter or 70 centimeter but great copy on 220 MHz. This is with a small hill in the way at about 9 miles. Very cool!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
I travel all over the country on business, and I hardly ever hear activity on the 220 band. It's another frequency that we could lose from inactivity.

mass-man

trying to retire...
Premium Subscriber
Hey SpaceGuy....try 220 when ur in Dallas-Ft Worth! Several good repeaters and almost always someone listening!!!

nanZor

Sometimes you have to work at it to get some activity, rather than just listening.

If you are in the shack, announce your call every hour or so even if this nets nothing for a week or more.

If you've got some free time, put the word out on qso's on other bands that you'll be up at RF-Mount for an hour at noon or whatever - even if just mobile / portable and put out some calls. Make it a regular thing, and perhaps others will join you - even if just for an hour every weekend or so.

If people hear of success, and it seems to be kind of a regular thing / rotating op or locations, that might get the ball rolling with the inexpensive radios at least.

You never know - it may be a lot of work for nothing. On the other hand, I've seen it just burst with activity once people know that someone is actually out there on a semi-regular basis. Out come the radios from the closet, or even new ones. Scaled up, this may turn into a repeater with group support.

But it takes work sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.