Should I Even Bother Setting Up A Rig At My House?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikepags

This is a real noob question, but I live in a low-lying area in my town. I'm not sure of the exact elevation, but it might be 100-200ft or so below the surrounding area. With VHF being only line of sight, will I be able to contact anyone in a practical way on the VHF/UHF bands? I can probably only afford a simple 25-50 watt rig and attic or chimney mounted antenna. I just wanted to see if I could get some opinions before I took the test and invested in any equipment. Thanks!

eaf1956

Feed Provider
This is a real noob question, but I live in a low-lying area in my town. I'm not sure of the exact elevation, but it might be 100-200ft or so below the surrounding area. With VHF being only line of sight, will I be able to contact anyone in a practical way on the VHF/UHF bands? I can probably only afford a simple 25-50 watt rig and attic or chimney mounted antenna. I just wanted to see if I could get some opinions before I took the test and invested in any equipment. Thanks!

Go for it!

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
Simplex might be a problem. Check out your area for 2m and 70cm repeaters. If any are within 10 to 20 miles, you probably have no real problems using them.

mikepags

Oh great. I'm definitely within 10-20 miles of a repeater. There's an active club in the next town over. Thanks! That's all I need to know.

eaf1956

Feed Provider
Oh great. I'm definitely within 10-20 miles of a repeater. There's an active club in the next town over. Thanks! That's all I need to know.

I am on low ground near the OHIO river and hit Owensboro DMR 70 cm repeater with 5 watts. That's about 27 air miles.

SCPD

QRT
Hi Mike :)
Regardless of what obstacles you may perceive, you should, by all means- proceed. Ham radio is made all the more fun by overcoming them.
You didn't say (or did I miss it?) where you are located that places you several hundred feet below average? That can mean a lot- as in at the bottom of a steep coulee, cut bluff- or like me, surrounded by mountains that towering to 14,000 feet.... or by gentle rolling eastern hilly plains-- all are going to effect the answers you'll get or the solutions you might need.
Knowing no more than what you've said, I'd say you've nothing to worry about- especially if its VHF repeaters you're interested in. Probably handheld radio maybe a disappointment, but a home station of 25 watts and an small outdoor beam antenna will cover a suprising range, even at a less than optimum location.
And keep in mind, there is plenty of other aspects to the hobby beside V/UHF repeaters. I could fill your head with ideas, Cowboy! ... :) but I'll just leave you with a "Good Luck!"
.........................CF

mikepags

Hi Mike :)
Regardless of what obstacles you may perceive, you should, by all means- proceed. Ham radio is made all the more fun by overcoming them.
You didn't say (or did I miss it?) where you are located that places you several hundred feet below average? That can mean a lot- as in at the bottom of a steep coulee, cut bluff- or like me, surrounded by mountains that towering to 14,000 feet.... or by gentle rolling eastern hilly plains-- all are going to effect the answers you'll get or the solutions you might need.
Knowing no more than what you've said, I'd say you've nothing to worry about- especially if its VHF repeaters you're interested in. Probably handheld radio maybe a disappointment, but a home station of 25 watts and an small outdoor beam antenna will cover a suprising range, even at a less than optimum location.
And keep in mind, there is plenty of other aspects to the hobby beside V/UHF repeaters. I could fill your head with ideas, Cowboy! ... :) but I'll just leave you with a "Good Luck!"
.........................CF

Yeah, so I'm located outside of Philadelphia so it's a hilly area but not mountainous. I just picked up a bunch of used equipment the other day. One piece is an old Swan 350 that needs work, but I might make it a nice project for myself. I also picked up a couple Heathkit units. I think I'll get my license then start working on them. The Swan especially should give me plenty of distance to the repeaters in the area.

sloop

Mike, don't let the "line of sight" through you off. I also live in a valley and the top of my antenna is below the ridge line. With 25 watts and a Ringo Ranger II antenna I can access the Mt. Mitchell repeater 65 miles away. With a HT I can access more than 8 repeaters that are 20 to 40 miles away. You don't necessarily have to "see" the repeater to hit it. Check with your local club, they can tell you what works for them. Best of luck. NC4WX

N8IAA

Yeah, so I'm located outside of Philadelphia so it's a hilly area but not mountainous. I just picked up a bunch of used equipment the other day. One piece is an old Swan 350 that needs work, but I might make it a nice project for myself. I also picked up a couple Heathkit units. I think I'll get my license then start working on them. The Swan especially should give me plenty of distance to the repeaters in the area.

Mike, just wondering what repeaters you will hit with the Swan?
It is a HF rig. Does have 10m, but no FM. That was my first HF rig when licensed 32 years ago. Don't even know if there are any tube finals available anymore.
Larry

AdamElteto

Lots of options and satellites

For starters, you will be able to reach repeaters, and depending on the equipment you acquire, you can have some fun with satellites, too. You can also get into some of the Internet interlinking modes (personal choice, whether you want to be a RF "purist" or just try everything you can and have fun, since that is what amateur radio is supposed to be about, anyway).

You will also find that you can volunteer your skills and equipment for some projects and events.

If you can get the equipment, licensing is easy, and there are really no reasons why not to get into the hobby.

WA8ZTZ

The Swan especially should give me plenty of distance to the repeaters in the area.

The Swan 350 was/is a 5 band HF rig for 80 - 10 meters, so it won't let you work any VHF/UHF repeaters.
However, you have a real classic there that is built like a battleship. Nice thing is that you can work on it yourself... basic circuitry. Be sure you understand thoroughly how to tune it up when putting it on the air. IIRC, the finals are TV tubes and they won't tolerate a lot of abuse.

So, get your license and get that thing on the air. Even with a Tech license you have certain HF privileges .

Status
Not open for further replies.