How do you keep up with everything spoke to you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zapman987

Premium Subscriber
Trying to call into a few nets, finding theres too much to remember: Netcontrol's callsign, my callsign, the order of everything, any other data they want. Someone else callsign whos calling you. AHHHHH

Short of writing it all down (which often theres no time or its unexpected to even do that), how do you keep track of it all?

zz0468

QRT
Banned
Listen carefully, and only write down the stuff you need to absolutely recall correctly. Names, callsigns, frequencies, etc.

If you're fully comprehending the subject matter, it'll stick. It's those devilish little details like callsigns that get lost. Write it down!

KK2DOG

Premium Subscriber
Also, search around for net logging programs as alot of these will allow you to follow the sequence of events during a net.

edweirdFL

If the net is using Netlogger or another computer based or website based program, you log into that with your system and it uses your internet connection to show you a list of the stations that have logged in, what their details are, and which station is being called on by net control.

I'll usually do a Google search on the net name and see if a website or some other info about it comes back. That's how I discovered that some nets use programs or web based systems.

If they are not using a computerized aid, you'll want something to write on, something to write with, and a clock tuned to UTC to be there with you and your radio.

majoco

Stirrer
Write down the callsigns and names when the net controller first runs through them, leaving a gap between them - and also note if the controller has something to say. When that guy is talking just jot down a few 'hit' words to jog your memory when its your turn, then you can reply to them and follow the trend of the chat - and don't forget to jot down what you said - sometimes when the net is large you forget!

BamaChad

Radio Operator
I use the good ole pencil and paper. Search the Google play store for ham radio voice logging also. I haven't tried any voice logging but it could be good. I find that every month that goes by I remember calls and names much easier.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

k6cpo

Being able to follow a net and keep track of what's happening on the air comes with experience. I came into ham radio with military tactical radio and law enforcement radio experience, so it came to me fairly easily. Earlier this year i operated as net control for an ARES hospital drill in San Diego and one of my ham friends, a retired LEO, said I sounded just like one of his department's dispatchers.

majoco

Stirrer
Some time ago our radio group ran an emergency exercise that just involved passing messages back and forth and at the end of the exercise everyone should get their own message back. At the washup in the local pub (where else!) it was like Chinese Whispers! Not one message survived intact!

cmdrwill

Some time ago our radio group ran an emergency exercise that just involved passing messages back and forth and at the end of the exercise everyone should get their own message back. At the washup in the local pub (where else!) it was like Chinese Whispers! Not one message survived intact!

That also happens traveling West.

mauiblue

I normally carry a very small Moleskine notebook and a pen with me. I've been using DMR a lot so the majority of the time the station's call sign and name will show on my TYT MD-390 and I will be writing it down in my notebook. I like to hear the call sign phonetically as it makes it easier to remember especially if the transmission is scratchy.

peterwo2e

you only responsible for your own call sign only! try to get their name, names are easier than call signs.
that's is what i would do i'll call them by their first name , let them worry about their own call sign you worry about yours. there are still things you would like to write down to keep things in order,

SCPD

QRT
I can never remember callsigns- names are bad enuff.... but that doesn't stop my many many enjoyable conversations- and by the end of the QSO I probably have the name down-- but the callsign?-- ha!

SCPD

QRT
"When a station passes traffic to you try and remember everything they say accurately."--

Of course on a radio net, you must remember you callsign (!) so pay attention so when you are called you will respond in a timely manner- but....

.....personally I treat these things like a big Party.... You know, those social gathering where you can be in a group of people, talk the evening away, and never use anyone's name... or remember anyone's name afterwards... The next gathering with them gets easier, ....and before you know it, you are friends on a first name basis...
Don't sweat it Zapp. Take some notes if they help, relax and keep in mind that its also a social hobby- that all the other stations have their own little melodramas playing in their heads too... so have fun.... and maybe a beer ...:)
...........................CF

majoco

Stirrer
Many years ago when I was a sea-going Radio Officer, you had to sit for 8 hours listening to a whole lot of CW with ships callsigns and coast station CQ's on 500kHz and on HF - probably reading a book or out on the bridge chatting to the navigating officer and crew - but if your call pops up then you are there like a shot - your sub-conscious was always tuned to your callsign - occurs quite quickly when joining a new ship.

Status
Not open for further replies.