code oscillator kits

Status
Not open for further replies.

firedog359

Hello all, I wasn't sure which forum to put this under but here goes. One of the hobbies that carried over from my Firefighter days is collecting vintage radios and associated equipment. I recently picked up what the Ebay seller listed as a Peerless signagraph or that type of code trainer. It's the type that uses the reel of paper tape with holes punched in it. There were only a couple of photos and the item did look like what it was described as. What I got was this, Someone many years ago had taken the top reel to reel drive from a peerless signagraph and installed it in a handmade box and cobbled together an AC powered, single tube oscillator with an on/off volume switch, a speaker and some other rotary switches that I have no idea what they are for. The tape drive is ok but everything else is in too bad a shape to use. What I want to do is construct a nice new box for the drive and install an oscillator kit along with a small amp kit meant for cigar box amps. The reason I want to do it this way is the amp kit comes completely pre-wired with a headphone jack, on/off volume switch, speaker and leads, gain control, and 9 volt battery clip and leads. I have seen a number of pre-built oscillator kits but I don't know which one would work best with this configuration. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Robert/ KM4ORN

firedog359

code oscillator kit

Sorry that it has taken so long to reply. My wife is recovering from surgery and is not doing well. Thanks for the suggestion on the kit. I will take a look at it. After doing some online research, I have determined that the drive unit is actually an old Perfectograpgh Teleplex model from the 1920's. It is missing the third binding post that the battery would have been connected to but hopefully I can find a suitable replacement. I found the manual for the Instructograph unit that gave instructions on constructing an oscillator built using a small audio transformer, a UX-201a tube and batteries so I might try that. Thanks.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Sorry to hear about your wife. I'll pray for a speedy recovery for her! Don't forget to take care of yourself as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.