Amateur Radio during World War 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
My father just sent me this link about WW II ham activity in the UK and Germany. I had always thought european amateur radio came to a close during this war- and was suprised to learn that it was still carried on- quite actively- by some of the belligerent nations.
Plan 'Flypaper'
........An interesting twist when you consider how in the US and Canada amateur radio was forbidden-- except for the WERS programs.
As a former "G" myself, I had no idea this went on-- learning something new all the time .... :)
...........................CF

paulears

Most of the UK amateurs happily joined the listener service, and probably also used their radios to at least listen to the rest of the world who carried on as normal. I doubt they joined in though. Apparently where I live there were two people who did not wish to join the listener service, and nobody spoke to them during the war, and their equipment was confiscated for the duration. Apparently the ham community had a dim view of people who didn't do their bit!

Jasphetamine

My father just sent me this link about WW II ham activity in the UK and Germany. I had always thought european amateur radio came to a close during this war- and was suprised to learn that it was still carried on- quite actively- by some of the belligerent nations.
Plan 'Flypaper'
........An interesting twist when you consider how in the US and Canada amateur radio was forbidden-- except for the WERS programs.
As a former "G" myself, I had no idea this went on-- learning something new all the time .... :)
...........................CF

There was a tremendous amount of reliance upon amateur radio for resistance groups, false-flag stations were put up by the British to disseminate propaganda under the guise of German stations relaying news, and so on.

It was a busy time for the airwaves.

Status
Not open for further replies.