Tablet with full sized USB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flysc

Hello.

I'm a wannabe ham. Just starting to study for Technician Class. My daughter and I both got each other 8w Baofengs for Christmas. BTW, she also is studying too and also has a nice ICOM mobile.

Already figured out how to program our radios with the Chirp software. As I get deeper into this I can already see where having a field use programming station for any radios we may acquire. I'm using Chirp on my old laptop, but I'm thinking a tablet totally devoted to our ham stuff is in order. I will have a small pack. The Baofengs, Tech Class book, other books, programming cable, spare battery and a tablet loaded with Chirp inside would be perfect. Portable too. I already own a cheap (out of date) Android tablet and a Kindle Fire 7. Those don't have full sized USB ports.

I've looked online, but cannot find an Android tablet with a port like that. A lot with micros and card slots, but none with a full usb power/data port.

Also, I'm not sure Chirp will run on Android. Any of you been down this road? Thanks in advance.

sibbley

Premium Subscriber
Last edited:

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Full size USB

To my knowledge, there is no software for radio programming that runs on Android. You will need a Windows 10 tablet. Most come with a micro usb or usb C, so you would need an adapter to connect to your programming cable. Unless the Icom is different from the ones I have, you can add a frequency from the keypad or microphone in less time than using the tablet. The hts are another thing, and although I have a couple, I stay with my FPP EFJ-5100 or Yaesu FT-60 when away from home.

Flysc

I will look that up. We were issued windows tablets for work, but they only have a proprietary port.

Try looking for a Winbook. They have a full size USB, that is if they still make them. However, it is a Windows operating system. I have one I use for programming and DSD+. Works very well. I got mine at Micro Center. Micro Center - Computers, Electronics, Computer Parts, Networking, Gaming, Software, and more!

I also have a 10 inch Lenovo tablet (again Windows) with 2 Full size USB which can be found on Amazon.

Flysc

Thanks.

To my knowledge, there is no software for radio programming that runs on Android. You will need a Windows 10 tablet. Most come with a micro usb or usb C, so you would need an adapter to connect to your programming cable. Unless the Icom is different from the ones I have, you can add a frequency from the keypad or microphone in less time than using the tablet. The hts are another thing, and although I have a couple, I stay with my FPP EFJ-5100 or Yaesu FT-60 when away from home.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Get a Windows netbook. About the same size as a tablet, and will have an actual USB port you can use without an adapter.

sibbley

Premium Subscriber
I will look that up. We were issued windows tablets for work, but they only have a proprietary port.

The Winbook or Lenovo tablets I mentioned both have true USB ports. I use both with all sorts of USB devices. Or as jonwienke mentioned, a netbook should work too.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
I have a Winbook tablet, but it's proven to be a little flaky and I've yet to use it for anything productive. I know others who have had good luck with them, so my experience may be unique.

I also have a Microsoft Surface Pro 3. Pricey when new, but used ones are coming down. Mine has been very reliable. It has a regular USB port. I've used it for radio programming and HF digital modes.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Tablet for programmiong

Another good reason for a small laptop/netbook style is the keyboard. The smaller tablets under 10 inches have small icons and text and are not easy to type on. On screen touch keyboards cover at least a third of the screen and some radio software fields can be impossible to see. I recently bought an Insignia tablet with keyboard, and so far it seems to be good. https://www.bestbuy.com/site/insign...ffcode=pg237414&ksdevice=c&lsft=ref:212,loc:2

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
NuVision is a $73 Windows tablet. It has a microUSB port, but they supply an adapter to full size USB so you can plugin whatever. I have one and it works in a pinch, but please note that the same microUSB port is the same one used to charge the tablet. For the price it is a solution. https://www.amazon.com/NuVision-Tou...e=UTF8&qid=1515443141&sr=8-7&keywords=winbook

Turn off WiFi and Bluetooth and you'll get more out of the battery. It is quite small. I pair it with a folding bluetooth keyboard which is even smaller and it all fits into a slim case with a zippered pocket to hold the charger and cables. https://www.amazon.com/iClever-Wire...68&sr=1-5&keywords=bluetooth+folding+keyboard

As previously mentioned, a Windows netbook may be a good choice for you as the keyboard and mouse are built-in. They typically provide a full sized USB port as well.

Calculate the weight and cost options and have fun.

(You do not want a Chromebook)

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
I just picked up an RCA Cambio W101-CS. Has one USB-3 port, comes with a detachable keyboard.. Was $149 at the local Wally World.. Not the fanciest, but for field programming, it will do the job..

Golay

Keyboard is nice

Another good reason for a small laptop/netbook style is the keyboard.

My tablet has the full size USB port on the detachable keyboard. The tablet itself, without the keyboard, has the "cellphone style" port.

Status
Not open for further replies.