Up to Date Repeater Directories for NY

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimbo695

Hello folks. Can anyone recommend the best source for up to date information on active repeaters in the NYC -Long Island area, please? Different sources include different machines. Some are inactive and often information about tones is conflicting. I realize that if current information and status aren't reported then the sources can't be expected to be accurate but was wondering if any one directory or source is better than the rest. Thanks.

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
It would help if you would post a list of those sources you consider to be inaccurate or lacking in some way. Would make this thread more accurate (and shorter).

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Historically, most of the Internet sources for this type of information are woefully inadequate. One in particular, that list repeaters near interstates doesn't even list all of the interstates in one state. The man who administers the data for that state does, however, list the repeaters in his area.

The databases seem to depend on volunteer efforts with no incentive to do even a barely acceptable job.

AI7PM

Premium Subscriber
I have found the best source to be local club websites. It can be time consuming, but you'll gleen more accurate data.

Repeaterbook.com would be 2nd to that. In the beginning, the crowd sourcing angle of repeaterbook seemed a real winner, but I'm seeing a lot of hams posting incomplete or innacurate data. Repeaterbook was initially loaded with info from as many sources as possible. If someone doesn't report dead pairs or decommisioned machines, it hurts the overall accuracy.

When I plan a trip, I go to repeaterbook first, then back it up by searching for club wesites along the way. Repeaterbook often has links to the club websites in the repeater listing.

KD2FIQ

Club websites are good as stated. There are certainly some sites with inaccurate info on them. If you're on the north shore, you can likely hit the CT repeaters. What's your exact operating area and band you're looking for.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
All of the above ideas are great, including looking to the clubs. If you're planning a long trip and want to program your radio accordingly, the problem might be to find the appropriate clubs along the way. Most cities of any size would have a club and Google would be your friend. Some areas have multiple-city or -county clubs. Those may be tougher to locate but frequently it's still possible through Google.

I'm retired and travel a lot. Part of the fun of trip planning (for me, anyway) is to find the repeaters along the way, usually using Repeaterbook, Google, etc. and program them into my radio. Many times, it's a craps shoot and if you find that a repeater doesn't respond, you move on.

Status
Not open for further replies.