Grants for Radio Stations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,

I've recently started working as a grand writer for a small midwestern (Milwaukee based) radio station. In years past, the owner of the station has had terrible luck applying for grants, I think he's 0 for 8 so far. I'm wondering if any of you have experience applying for grants and any general tips or advice. I've applied for grants in the past, but nothing related to radio.

Thanks,
Justin

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Are you talking about a broadcast radio station?

D

DaveNF2G

There are courses at some universities about grant writing. Having taken one, I would suggest that a successful grant writer needs to be trained as a grant writer. A lot of institutions fail to win grants because they tap somebody just because they happen to be on the payroll.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
There are courses at some universities about grant writing. Having taken one, I would suggest that a successful grant writer needs to be trained as a grant writer. A lot of institutions fail to win grants because they tap somebody just because they happen to be on the payroll.

Agreed. Grant writing is almost an art now. Stiff competition for free money has changed things. Now the criteria seem to boil down to who writes the best request, not who needs the money most.

lmrtek

The key is to point out what public service you can provide if given the grant.
If for example a grant would allow the radio station to deliver critical information to a currently unserved or under served area or demographic.

N4DES

Retired 0598 Czar ÆS Ø
As someone who previously sat on a Peer Review board for our local grants you will have a hard time securing Public Safety or Communication Grants on your own. The Federal Grant Funding process is a top down approach with the Fed's dedicating dollars to specific areas, such as the UASI's, which I highly doubt that you are in one being a rural town. https://www.fema.gov/fiscal-year-2017-homeland-security-grant-program

If you have a unique offering that isn't being provided by anyone else locally you might want to contact your local Emergency Management office to see if they have been participating in local grant programs, but I will tell you now, it is highly competitive and very political.

D

DaveNF2G

Notwithstanding any other experiences or opinions, the key to a successful grant request is to follow the instructions for the grant application process to the letter. Your request must exactly fit the criteria for the grant and satisfy all of the demands for specifics.

The first filter is whether the requesting agency appears to be eligible for the program. If the grant program, for example, is meant for funding hospital beds, then your ambulance company's request for money for new gurneys, no matter how vital or well-written, will not even be evaluated. There is no such thing as "close enough" in the granting world any more.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Hello all,

I've recently started working as a grand writer for a small midwestern (Milwaukee based) radio station. In years past, the owner of the station has had terrible luck applying for grants, I think he's 0 for 8 so far. I'm wondering if any of you have experience applying for grants and any general tips or advice. I've applied for grants in the past, but nothing related to radio.

Thanks,
Justin

As everyone has said, it's going to be tough. I don't know what funds are available to you but you most certainly are going to need some training. It's not easy. When you realize all of the i's are dotted and the t's are crossed, you'll find something else. Don't underestimate the intelligence (or, in some cases, lack of intelligence) of those who will be making the decisions.

Status
Not open for further replies.