NBC News : Amateur radio - Hawaii's Communication Breakdown

Status
Not open for further replies.

belvdr

No longer interested in living
I hope the EMComm work from amateur radio operators is better than SKYWARN. Every SKYWARN activation I have heard turns into a mess. Too many people want to look important but don't fill the role well. We had several of those on the fire department. They want the lights and siren, but not the training.

Dolf

I've seen it, an it looks good. The problem is that NBC just can't be trusted anymore, so even stories like this one are taken with a grain of salt.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
I hope the EMComm work from amateur radio operators is better than SKYWARN. Every SKYWARN activation I have heard turns into a mess. Too many people want to look important but don't fill the role well. We had several of those on the fire department. They want the lights and siren, but not the training.

Ever heard non ham SKYWARN people when they get excited. Most hams I have been associated with have been most professional when working floods, public service events. And most have trained for these.

D

DaveNF2G

The biggest problem I've experienced with Skywarn is net control ops who think they are the NWS.

"I don't think that is significant so I am not going to relay it to the weather office."

dkaniel

They got it wrong in the video when NBC says that only the Ham Radio Gear would be working after an EMP Burst. Unless the Hams are using tube type equipment their computerized equipment would also fry and be useless.

RiverCity45

They got it wrong in the video when NBC says that only the Ham Radio Gear would be working after an EMP Burst. Unless the Hams are using tube type equipment their computerized equipment would also fry and be useless.
Keep eveything in a Faraday cage? Lol!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

D

DaveNF2G

Nobody will be ready for the pole flip, either, because the "mainstream" says it won't happen for decades more. In the meantime, it is in progress already.

Status
Not open for further replies.