RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Amateur Radio > Amateur Radio General Discussion

Amateur Radio General Discussion - General discussion forum for amateur radio topics not covered by the above forums.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-12-2018, 9:11 PM

Default Radio console for multiple bases

I'm going to put this here cause I may have already posted it and this sub seems as good as any.

I work hf, vhf, uhf and 220, and 900 from the house. I'm interested in setting up a console like the one I use at work. Figured it would be ip based, tone remote too complex. Any suggestions for such a set up that would not set me back 100 k?

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk
Sponsored links
Old 03-12-2018, 9:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E5911 View Post
I'm going to put this here cause I may have already posted it and this sub seems as good as any.

I work hf, vhf, uhf and 220, and 900 from the house. I'm interested in setting up a console like the one I use at work. Figured it would be ip based, tone remote too complex. Any suggestions for such a set up that would not set me back 100 k?

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk
I don't understand why you say tone remote is too complex. You put the tone remote adapter on the radio, set up the console for channel 1 tone control and your almost done. Just need to set the audio levels going to the radio over the wire line connections. It can be either a 2 wire or 4 wire connection going from the console to the radio remote adapter. You can probably use a digital volt meter to get the audio levels correct.

If you are looking at using an IP connection, it gets much more complicated. the remote adapter at the radio cost is a whole bunch more expensive. You have a number of IP settings that have to be correct and you still need to get the audio levels set correct. Will probably require using a service monitor to get it all adjusted to where it should be.

Been doing this a good many years and will take tone control over IP any day.
Old 03-12-2018, 9:57 PM

You don't need a Vesta Pallas 911 system and the truth is neither dies the 911 PSAP.
Tone remote consoles are cheap on the used market and they are easy to install or you can use a desktop and ComTekk software.
The entire nation ran perfectly fine for decades using tone remote.
Old 03-13-2018, 9:54 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Location: Summer - western NC mountains; Winter - central FL gulf coast

You mentioned that you operate HF, VHF, UHF, 220 and 900 from your house.

Typical remote set-ups are for fixed-channel operations... as are usually found in public safety and commercial dispatch centers. Ham use, on the other hand, is traditionally much more agile in frequency, channel and feature selection.

Why would you want to give up the ability to use VFO and/or multiple channels and/or virtually all of the other built-in menu features of modern ham equipment?

- John AC4JK