Howdy

Status
Not open for further replies.

KG5YWM

Hey folks! Just got my General and got my call sign today. Thought I'd say hi and I'm looking forward to learning a lot from everyone!

K4EET

Chaplain
Hey Bob and welcome to Radio Reference! Congratulations on getting your General ticket. Do you have any particular area of interest in Ham Radio and do you have any amateur gear yet? Please tell us a little more about yourself and your interests. 73, Dave K4EET

KG5YWM

Hey Bob and welcome to Radio Reference! Congratulations on getting your General ticket. Do you have any particular area of interest in Ham Radio and do you have any amateur gear yet? Please tell us a little more about yourself and your interests. 73, Dave K4EET

Thanks for the welcome folks! I have just recently become really interested in radio due to a career change. I am a chemical analyzer technologist by trade. I was asked last year if I wanted to work in the radio shop in our plant to eventually take charge of it after the fella that is there now retires.

He is an awesome guy, a true radio guru. The problem was that we needed to upgrade our whole system to a digital trunking system, Motorola Mototrbo Capacity Max. He is somewhat computer challenged so they brought me in to help him while we do the change over.

He suggested I get my Amateur Radio licence to get me up to speed on radio technology, and I'm really glad he did.

I don't currently own any Ham radio equipment, just a CB in my truck and a RTL-SDR for my laptop. I figured I would do more research on equipment and the like before I buy. Getting into the HF end of things is what I'm most interested in. The prospect of speaking to someone hundreds or thousands of miles away without help of the internet or cellphones just seems very cool to me.

KC5AKB

Lots of stuff to look at go talk with some of the bunch at the local clubs also some of the folks your
Coworker knows . If you ask 5 hams the same question on how to do something you might just get 9 answers lol .
Feel free to email or pm us anytime with any questions. I like HF but also use 2m 440 and 6m .
So many different things and modes to do .
Ric Kc5akb@arrl.net

wb6uqa

new ham

Welcome. I would go HF. Get a good radio and a beam. Check out hex beams. For small size and cost they cant be beat. E HAM dot net reviews

Status
Not open for further replies.