Ham radio for beginner

Status
Not open for further replies.

trx680

What would be a good base ham radio for a beginner?
I don't want to buy one now and feel I need to upgrade right away. Then again I don;t want to buy a sophisticated model that overwhelms me.

Suggestions?

thank you!!

RBMTS

Maybe you could tell us what bands are you interested in. Do you want HF or are you asking about a 2M / 70CM capable radio? If the latter, will you be interested in doing any digital (P25, DMR, DStar, or C4FM)? Your question is really too broad without knowing a bit more about what you'd like to focus on.

sloop

First radio for a Technician class (new ham) based on your location I would go with a dual band (144/440 mHz) mobile radio from any of the 'big three' brands (e.g. Icom, Kenwood, Yaesu). You do not want an HT for your first radio nor do you want a Chinese radio (unless you can't afford more). Ht's have limited range and in some cases in congested rf areas poor seperation of signals. The name brands are also easier to manually program. A simple antenna such as the Arrow j-pole will work well on both those frequencies at a low cost. If you are going to start with the General something like the Icom 718 would be a great first radio. Yaesu and Kenwood also have great 'starter' radios. Check with some hams in your area to see what they recommend, one might even have a radio that they would loan or sell you. Good luck. NC4WX

trx680

What frequency band and what modes? Do you have a license yet?

I'm studying for the Tech license now. I will be 100% new!!

frequency and modes? You got me..lol.
I'd want a radio with everything that I'll be licensed for. No need to upgrade a day later because I skimped and bought a limited radio.

trx680

First radio for a Technician class (new ham) based on your location I would go with a dual band (144/440 mHz) mobile radio from any of the 'big three' brands (e.g. Icom, Kenwood, Yaesu). You do not want an HT for your first radio nor do you want a Chinese radio (unless you can't afford more). Ht's have limited range and in some cases in congested rf areas poor seperation of signals. The name brands are also easier to manually program. A simple antenna such as the Arrow j-pole will work well on both those frequencies at a low cost. If you are going to start with the General something like the Icom 718 would be a great first radio. Yaesu and Kenwood also have great 'starter' radios. Check with some hams in your area to see what they recommend, one might even have a radio that they would loan or sell you. Good luck. NC4WX
so you recommend a handheld mobile over a home base model?

n5ims

so you recommend a handheld mobile over a home base model?

Actually what he's saying is that he recommends you get a base/mobile radio over a handheld model. A base radio (for the most part now days anyway) is simply a mobile radio that's powered by a 12v power supply. The high end HF radios can be found as a true base radio that runs on the standard 120/240v AC but most of the rest are powered by 12v DC and will work directly from a car battery or using an appropriate 12v DC power supply that plugs into your standard home outlet for power (be sure that you carefully read the number of amps your radio requires during maximum load and get a power supply that provides at least 20% more than that).

While an HT (or handheld radio) can be a useable first radio, they're very low power and very sensitive to how you hold it while you talk into it. While you may hear everything from the station you're talking to quite clearly, they may hear "Thanks for the comeback <static> <static> <noise> <dropout> I just got this new Baof... <static> <noise> <static> <noise> ... learning the hobby.". If it's all you can afford then go for it, just be prepared for the frustration of weak/choppy signals until you learn how to properly use them (held still and perfectly vertical, only works near windows or outside, etc.).

trx680

Actually what he's saying is that he recommends you get a base/mobile radio over a handheld model. A base radio (for the most part now days anyway) is simply a mobile radio that's powered by a 12v power supply. The high end HF radios can be found as a true base radio that runs on the standard 120/240v AC but most of the rest are powered by 12v DC and will work directly from a car battery or using an appropriate 12v DC power supply that plugs into your standard home outlet for power (be sure that you carefully read the number of amps your radio requires during maximum load and get a power supply that provides at least 20% more than that).

While an HT (or handheld radio) can be a useable first radio, they're very low power and very sensitive to how you hold it while you talk into it. While you may hear everything from the station you're talking to quite clearly, they may hear "Thanks for the comeback <static> <static> <noise> <dropout> I just got this new Baof... <static> <noise> <static> <noise> ... learning the hobby.". If it's all you can afford then go for it, just be prepared for the frustration of weak/choppy signals until you learn how to properly use them (held still and perfectly vertical, only works near windows or outside, etc.).

I'm not rich but I'm far from poor so I won't be looking for the cheapest route.

Get what you pay for!!
I dont want some junk that is going to discourage me.
I was thinking of a decent base station model that I can set on the table beside my sofa. I can sit here and youtube or read on this website and learn with the radio at my side.

edweirdFL

Do you have any way to do some listening to see what's active in your area before buying a radio?

Perhaps using some online streams to select repeaters in your area and note which one's are active, and that sound like ones you'd like to use?

If you are considering HF, what's you situation with regards to being able to setup an antenna?

N5TWB

I'm not rich but I'm far from poor so I won't be looking for the cheapest route.

Get what you pay for!!
I dont want some junk that is going to discourage me.
I was thinking of a decent base station model that I can set on the table beside my sofa. I can sit here and youtube or read on this website and learn with the radio at my side.

It's nice to have resources that increase pleasure or success. One of the key resources needed in this hobby is not recorded on our bank records. That resource is the knowledge to know what we need to learn beyond that which is prescribed by licensing requirements. This is the area where you are delving now and finding there is no one good or proper answer. Everything is a judgement applied against our best understanding of our needs. Again, the questions you are being asked by others relate to your understanding of your communication needs. However, you are still early in your quest for knowledge so you have not been able to quantify your needs beyond the desire for a "base radio."

To summarize what others have added to the thread, very few ham radios have internal power supplies that allow you to connect directly to 120V AC power. Every radio can be operated from a fixed location as long as the required power is available, usually provided by a 12V DC power supply. Right now, you should be considering if your study material for the license has informed you about these details and how to use it properly & safely. If this is an area you are not understanding because the study material is not clear, you should consider reaching out to an amateur radio club to see if there is a study group to assist your efforts.

Your response to the inquiry about bands, frequencies, and modes makes it clear you have much study in front of you and that the assistance of a group study would have value. There are no bad questions and it's nearly certain most in the group have similar questions that would help them identify their needs. Alternatively, you may find a club that has individuals willing to work with potential hams one-on-one. Hams refer to this as "having an Elmer." This kind of help deals with intricacies like radio selection, handheld radio attributes/uses, antennas, etc.

All of the above is respectfully submitted in the hope of soon having you successfully licensed and getting enjoyment from your new radio, whatever it might be that suits your interests. Everybody in the thread has been new at some point and benefited from a group study, class, or Elmer. I hope you're able to connect with one of those resources.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I'd want a radio with everything that I'll be licensed for. No need to upgrade a day later because I skimped and bought a limited radio.

That can get expensive.

First, you will not find a radio that covers -everything- you would be licensed for. You can get radios that will cover the HF bands as well as 6 meters, 2 meters and 70 centimeters.
But you are looking at $1000+, then you need to add the antennas necessary to cover all that spectrum, coaxial cable, power supply, etc.
You'd be looking at $1500 at the low point, maybe a bit less if you went with used equipment, but amateur radio operators are notorious for selling even well used radios for high prices.

"Wanting it all" isn't always the best choice for someone new to the hobby, there's just too many aspects to get it all in one radio. It gets expensive really quickly, and you'll still be looking for more.

I'd recommend starting with something reasonable. Figure out where your interests are, get some experience, then start looking once you've got some time and experience under your belt. Make sure you understand the antenna requirements, etc, as that can impact how well it all works. No point in investing in a lot of HF gear if you live in an apartment/condo/or HOA controlled area.

If you have unlimited funds, then sure thing, drop $1500 or more on a radio, but you may be disappointed if you don't end up using all it's capabilities.

As others have said, starting off with a dual band mobile, a 12 volt power supply, some decent coaxial cable and a good base station antenna would be a good idea. That'll let you talk to some locals, get into a few IRLP nodes, and get some experience.

Amateur radio can be a life long hobby, so don't rush into purchases. Your interests will change, and you'll go through a lot of radios.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
I started with a good dual band mobile VHF/UHF radio. Although mobile it can be used in a house as a base along with a power supply. The reason I did that is it is the simplest way to get "on the air". It gives one the opportunity to volunteer at public service events and is useful when travelling. One could then also use a hand held at this stage more for monitoring or public service events where one is close to repeaters. Then as interest and licenses obtained permit HF, one can purchase a decent HF radio. However, one should note that there are all purpose HF/VHF/UHF models that can be purchased. Some feel these are marginal at best on any HF bands. But they can be multimode as well on most bands. Not to say anyone one radio is better over the other, some new HF/VHF/UHF models are: FT 857, FT-991A, TS-2000. These radios tend to be on the middle end of price point over a VHF/UHF mobile and tend to be a little larger [857 exempted]. But it may be better to get a decent VHF/UHF mobile radio and an HF specific radio for use on HF bands. I like to look at an Amateur Radio stores to see the various radios. One web site is https://www.universal-radio.com/, others are GIGAPARTS, HRO, etc.. Then one can review the reviews on eham.net [but have to take some of the reviews with a grain of salt]. But that will give you an idea of the prices of various radios. Now, if getting into HF, antenna is very important so that brings up another area to consider. And with any good amateur station some test equipment is required such as a good antenna analyzer [SWR and Power]. And of course good coax cable. I like to point new hams towards a local ham club as one can attend meetings, and get help at what most local hams prefer.

RogueSteward

I don't have my license yet. Taking the test in 13 days! I did pick up a radio however. It was highly recommended by the techs at the HAM shop and by lots of people in these forums and the price isn't bad either, the Yaesu FT-60R. I picked mine up for under $160.00. It scans really nice, crystal clear, and it has a ton of features. I was originally going to get another radio but I'm so glad the technician steered me towards this radio. He was an older gray bearded guy and obviously knew his stuff because I had second thoughts all the way home thinking I should have just purchased the radio I orginally went in for but in the end and after spending hours with the Yaesu, I could not be happier! You won't be disappointed and the price is certainly right and in my opinion, a great radio to get started in.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
First, you will not find a radio that covers -everything- you would be licensed for.

This is a key element. There are too many facets to the hobby, to have everything in one radio.

I would suggest getting with a club in your area. Spend some time operating various radios, and find which ones feel right to you.

Sent using Tapatalk

andrer9999

This is a key element. There are too many facets to the hobby, to have everything in one radio.

I would suggest getting with a club in your area. Spend some time operating various radios, and find which ones feel right to you.

This is the perfect answer.

Handhelds fit a specific purpose but are very limiting. Want to help work marathons? Want to talk to other real life friends while you’re outdoors? A dual-band handheld will be the way to go.

Do you want to just talk random stuff with mostly retired people? VHF repeaters will do the job, so find any radio that’ll reach a couple repeaters in your area.

Want to do anything else? You’ll need a general license, a nice antenna at your house, and a mobile (probably best first radio?) or full radio that does HF.

In short though you’ll have a week after you get your tech license to buy something anyway. Don’t be in a rush to buy stuff now.

N5TWB

I don't have my license yet. Taking the test in 13 days! I did pick up a radio however. It was highly recommended by the techs at the HAM shop and by lots of people in these forums and the price isn't bad either, the Yaesu FT-60R. I picked mine up for under $160.00. It scans really nice, crystal clear, and it has a ton of features. I was originally going to get another radio but I'm so glad the technician steered me towards this radio. He was an older gray bearded guy and obviously knew his stuff because I had second thoughts all the way home thinking I should have just purchased the radio I orginally went in for but in the end and after spending hours with the Yaesu, I could not be happier! You won't be disappointed and the price is certainly right and in my opinion, a great radio to get started in.

You did great and you were steered correctly by the folks at the store. The FT-60R is a good choice for someone who has identified their bands of interest and want to start with a handheld. I'm always glad to tell a new licensee to go that route if their wallet supports it. The radio is likely to long outlast your current level of interest in just VHF & UHF operations.

k9wkj

since there will be great Es openings on 6M soon then make sure the OP heads the right way
im sure ill get poo pooed here
but ive gotten several folks in my area to pick up a IC-7100 160-440 all mode + DStar
and with the rebate they come in just over $800
so many new techs never get introduced or even told that they can do SSB on VHF/UHF
and then there are radios like the ft8900 that trick you into thinking they are useful on 6M and 10M

trx680

Do you have any way to do some listening to see what's active in your area before buying a radio?

Perhaps using some online streams to select repeaters in your area and note which one's are active, and that sound like ones you'd like to use?

If you are considering HF, what's you situation with regards to being able to setup an antenna?

As far as the antenna goes I live in an agricultural area there will be no restrictions. That doesn't necessarily mean I'm looking to put some giant antenna in the backyard.

What are some good antenna options that I could say mount on My chimney?

andrer9999

You just got into HAM. It will only be a couple weeks before you start fantasizing and planning for putting a giant antenna tower in your backyard. Remember for your exam, if it falls is has to clear power lines by at least ten feet.

And it's not really "antenna options." It's a huge part of the hobby and very complex. If you go to a ham radio store, you'll see that antennas take up a substantial part of the store. Read that chapter of the exam prep book and it'll get you started.

Status
Not open for further replies.