CQ Magazine - Zinio problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

VK3RX

Thaumaturge
Premium Subscriber
Having frustrating problems with Zinio.

I use Zinio Reader on a desktop PC to access the magazines, and using v4 everything worked well for the few years I've been a subscriber..

However back in March when I fired up Zinio Reader I found that the latest magazine wasn't listed as available and would not download/update, and after contacting Zinio customer support was told they'd stopped support for v4 (it would have been nice to be told beforehand) and they recommended downloading Desktop Reader/ZR5 Offline v1.0.19

I did this, and now I find that the May 2018 edition isn't listed yet if I click on the link in the email notifying it's available IE goes to the online version OK.

Also earlier today in Desktop Reader/ZR5 Offline I selected the download option for the April 2018 edition and this appeared to be successful, intending to read it later. However while in Desktop Reader/ZR5 Offline library the magazine front cover "thumbnail" has a green bar indicating it has downloaded, but I can't find where it is now to read it :mad:

Clicking on the "eye" icon just downloads the mag again page by page, and the only other options are either "delete" or "download".

I've got yet another problem report lodged with Zinio ...

<sigh>

k6cpo

With all the problems they're having with getting the magazine published on time, I'm surprised they haven't gone under. I dropped my subscription back in 2012 when they started having problems delivering issues on time. Nothing has changed since then...

VK3RX

Thaumaturge
Premium Subscriber
The electronic version of the issues have always been available on time since I subscribed in 2015, but it's the Zinio magazine interface they've chosen to use that is causing the problems.

The old Reader version v4 worked well, but for unknown reasons Zinio stopped using it and v5 is a PITA. And fairly typical of some help desks, they don't address the problem(s) put to them and instead go on about something not directly related, resulting in some to and fro exchanges.

The Spectrum Monitor magazine on the other hand is made available as a .pdf and is a breeze to download and use.

KE0GXN

Hey, I just got my April issue today...right on time..lol! :roll:

I have threatened to cancel my scrip many times, but at the end of day it an easy read and more down earth then my QST. Some of the articles in QST are way above my head....

Never thought about getting the digi scrip, I am too old school...got to have something I can hold and touch to read.

Good luck getting it to work for you, I am expecting my May issue sometime in June...I hope. :(

Golay

I didn't realize that CQ magazine was still being published.
Setting aside the cost difference, is it as good as QST?

VK3RX

Thaumaturge
Premium Subscriber
I'd say no, but close. Different articles and worth a read.

That said, as far as I can determine they don't offer a paper version for overseas subscribers, and for me lately their digital version has been problematic as stated earlier. If you have a fast broadband connection, reading online would be OK. Zinio have confirmed to me that their software to download and read offline has problems, but they are working on it.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
I know it's a long trip on short notice, but the Dayton Hamvention is coming up next week and CQ Magazine will, most likely, be there. If you attended, you could stand at their booth and pop CQ Editor Rich Moseson in the nose. I know I'd like to. Maybe it's a good that I'm not going. ;)

VK3RX

Thaumaturge
Premium Subscriber
Given up and now trying to cancel my subscription, but over a couple of weeks trying a variety of email addresses I can't get a response from anyone @ CQ.

So someone going to Dayton, feel free to go to their booth and chew them out for me :mad:

KE0GXN

I didn't realize that CQ magazine was still being published.
Setting aside the cost difference, is it as good as QST?

Oh yeah...its still being published. I have been a loyal frustrated and disappointed subscriber since May of 2016.

If your wondering why I put up with them, well, they are the only other game in town besides QST, and yes, even though QST is always dependable and on time, some months I feel most of the articles are written for rocket scientists. :(

I would go ahead and get a CQ scrip now, you just may get your first issue before the summer is over! :D

Its worth the wait for me to me anyway. All kidding aside, it is a good magazine, if they could just get their delivery issues fixed, I would be a great magazine.

KE0GXN

Given up and now trying to cancel my subscription, but over a couple of weeks trying a variety of email addresses I can't get a response from anyone @ CQ.

So someone going to Dayton, feel free to go to their booth and chew them out for me :mad:

Been down that road. Your better off calling them directly. It is the only way I have had any success in making contact.

VK3RX

Thaumaturge
Premium Subscriber
Finally got a response overnight (from an aol.com address not listed on their sites) and subs cancelled.

As Tony said, its a good magazine but their distribution and now zinio issues are letting them down.

KE0GXN

FYI..got my May issue a few days ago...things may be getting better. I believe this will be the first time an issue has arrived in the month it was actually printed for. At least for me anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.