Keep My 2M or Install Dual Band?

Status
Not open for further replies.

suicideking

I recently got a Yaesu FT-2980R installed. So recent, that I have only turned it on once or twice.

I had a relative tell me he had a radio he would give me around 6+ months back. I didn't remember the model and hadn't heard from him in a while. I got impatient and bought the 2980. So he sends me a Yaesu FT-8800R. Now I'm trying to figure out if I should keep what I have or get it swapped for the FT-8800R?

I already have the Larsen NMO2/70B antenna installed, so that would make it even easier to switch.

I'm mostly using the radio in my Jeep to talk to other Jeeps. Most of the guys I run with have a 2M. Many have the older version of the FT-2980.

I am also somewhat concerned about needing it for an emergency situation. My group did report a forest fire once. Though that was someone on a 2M. I'm not very interested in talking to people I don't know. Get enough chit chat at home and work lol.

Should I keep my current radio, or swap it? I obtained my license about a year ago, so not very knowledgeable other than understanding that the dual band gives more frequency options.

KM6IQC

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
It depends on the availability of 70 cm repeaters or other users. Not sure of what is in your area, or how often you travel to other areas. But if you have it, you have it. Another aspect is you could use it to cross band repeat.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
For off road use, I'd stick with the simpler 2 meter only radio.
If you don't have a need for 70 centimeters, there is benefit to less buttons, less distractions.

The power output differences won't matter, 80 vs. 50 watts won't mean much in the real world.

On the other hand, the FT-8800 would let you RX FRS and GMRS radios that might get used on the trail. No transmitting, though.

Maybe install the FT-8800 as a base, in a second car, etc. Personally I've found that a simple VHF radio fits almost all my needs.

suicideking

For off road use, I'd stick with the simpler 2 meter only radio.
If you don't have a need for 70 centimeters, there is benefit to less buttons, less distractions.

The power output differences won't matter, 80 vs. 50 watts won't mean much in the real world.

On the other hand, the FT-8800 would let you RX FRS and GMRS radios that might get used on the trail. No transmitting, though.

Maybe install the FT-8800 as a base, in a second car, etc. Personally I've found that a simple VHF radio fits almost all my needs.

I do like the smaller size of the 2M too. Probably stick with the one I have. Thanks all for the input.

RogueSteward

Having a 2m only radio is nice, but there may be times you wish you had 70cm too. In my location, it seems like mostly in the mornings people are on 2m but then migrate to 70cm in the afternoon, so a dual bander is needed here.

k6cpo

I started out with a 2m handheld and a 2m mobile, because of the price point more than anything. (This was pre-Baofeng.) Once I acquired my first dual-band HT, I never looked back. Everything I've had since then has been dual band and I now have a quad band FT-8900.

Sccafire

I would go with The FT-8800. I had one in my Jeep. I know the Rubicon Trail is covered by a 70cm repeater. Great to have it when you are on the trail. Plus the 70cm is linked lo two other repeaters located outside the Rubicon.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
I prefer having dual band capabilities, in case it is useful. Since you have the antenna and radio, it does not cost you anything, as long as the radio will fit in the same mounting place.

Sent using Tapatalk

suicideking

I prefer having dual band capabilities, in case it is useful. Since you have the antenna and radio, it does not cost you anything, as long as the radio will fit in the same mounting place.

Sent using Tapatalk

Yeah, I eyeballed the radio for the first time this morning (it was in the box): I had figured somehow that it would be larger since it's dual band. When I looked at it, seemed similar in size.

Definite bonus if it uses the same power connector?

suicideking

I compared the radios last night:

The power connect does appear to be the same.

The dual band is actually smaller than the 2M which surprised me. The buttons on the dual band are much smaller and harder to see. I also like the feel more of the volume and other knobs and buttons more on the 2M. So will stick with that one for now.

Seemed like a lot of play in the volume knob on the dual band. Not sure if it's used or that's just the way the knob is.

Might end up putting the dual band in another vehicle.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
The buttons on the dual band are much smaller and harder to see. I also like the feel more of the volume and other knobs and buttons more on the 2M. So will stick with that one for now.

Yeah, that was kind of what I'd expect you'd discover.
Yes, it's nice to have the extra capability, but for driving off road, having to stare a little tiny buttons to make any changes is a bit risky. I've always favored the simpler designs for mobile use. In fact, I'm running Motorola CDM-750 VHF mobiles in my UTV's. Volume/on/off knob, channel button as well as a scan and monitor button. No display, not tiny controls, no function keys to access settings, just set and forget.

For those that -really- get into mobile use, then the more complex radios make some sense, but if your primary goal is more about the off roading aspect, simpler can be better.

suicideking

Yeah, that was kind of what I'd expect you'd discover.
Yes, it's nice to have the extra capability, but for driving off road, having to stare a little tiny buttons to make any changes is a bit risky. I've always favored the simpler designs for mobile use. In fact, I'm running Motorola CDM-750 VHF mobiles in my UTV's. Volume/on/off knob, channel button as well as a scan and monitor button. No display, not tiny controls, no function keys to access settings, just set and forget.

For those that -really- get into mobile use, then the more complex radios make some sense, but if your primary goal is more about the off roading aspect, simpler can be better.

Looks like it could also be older vs. newer. The FT-7900R has buttons that look like the size of my FT-2980.

Since I'm 46 and already wearing glasses, bigger is better. :D

Thanks again to all for the info!

suicideking

I got to use my radio a bit last weekend:

Out of about 15 Jeeps, we had 6 people with radios. Mostly the cheap Baofeng UV-5R.

So I had posted in our Facebook chat for everyone to be on Simplex 146.460 which was fine until I arrived. One guy that I didn't know had told people to use a frequency in the 400 range. Two others were confused because their radios (and mine) couldn't dial in that frequency.

I advised the guy that chose that frequency that not everyone can use it, so lets stick with the original plan. He seemed irritated. I asked him what band that frequency was in? 70cm? He didn't know, just said "the higher frequencies are better". I questioned him a bit and said we should be fine on the simplex, that the power of the radio was more important. He didn't seem to know what he was talking about and was getting frustrated at my questioning.

Of course, I asked him if he had his license and he just replied that you don't need it unless you're using a repeater...

This was up in Big Bear, CA. I had the Big Bear repeaters programmed and was able to talk to one of the people operating the repeater. He seemed friendly and gave me permission to use the repeater as needed. I was just happy I could hit the repeater and talk to the few people that had radios. I now have two others in my group that want to get radios.

gil_ford

I started out with a 2m handheld and a 2m mobile, because of the price point more than anything. (This was pre-Baofeng.) Once I acquired my first dual-band HT, I never looked back. Everything I've had since then has been dual band and I now have a quad band FT-8900.

I also own an FT-8900 and I don't think I could part with it. :)

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Of course, I asked him if he had his license and he just replied that you don't need it unless you're using a repeater...

And these dorks just feed off each other. They can buy these Cheap Chinese Radios anywhere and think that makes them a consumer product with no rules.

Seems like at one time when people didn't know something, they'd research it. Now, instead of researching for the correct answer, they research for the answer they want. Thanks to the internet, it's easy to find someone that will tell you it's OK.

That's created a big issue. Same thing happens with "opened up" CB's and amateur radios. Enough people that don't know what they are talking about have told others that "it's OK" that it's becoming more and more wide spread.

I've had these conversations before, and the issue is that the people don't want to know the truth. They will do what they want. Probably not worth wasting your breath, time or bandwidth on these guys. They've already decided.

Fast1eddie

Agreed. Folks will research for the answer they want and swear by it. Your choice of 2 meter simplex is spot on, 6 would be ideal but seems as if everyone is afraid to go there and 220, at least here in Pittsburgh.

Showing my age now, but there was a time when gentlemen's agreements were honored and users sought out permission and advice on active repeaters with experienced ops offering credible feedback. Not hearing much anymore.

Don't think easing the licensing requirements did it, I blame social media (the digital playground) where rumors become fact, differing opinions get one shunned, and no one's fallen off the jungle jim yet and ran off crying seeking a safe space.

just my 50 cents.

suicideking

And these dorks just feed off each other. They can buy these Cheap Chinese Radios anywhere and think that makes them a consumer product with no rules.

Seems like at one time when people didn't know something, they'd research it. Now, instead of researching for the correct answer, they research for the answer they want. Thanks to the internet, it's easy to find someone that will tell you it's OK.

That's created a big issue. Same thing happens with "opened up" CB's and amateur radios. Enough people that don't know what they are talking about have told others that "it's OK" that it's becoming more and more wide spread.

I've had these conversations before, and the issue is that the people don't want to know the truth. They will do what they want. Probably not worth wasting your breath, time or bandwidth on these guys. They've already decided.

Yup, that's exactly it. They want the technology, but don't want to do any work to get the license. I studied in my spare time using the flash cards at hamstudy.org. Took me a few hours, but not a big deal.

Agreed. Folks will research for the answer they want and swear by it. Your choice of 2 meter simplex is spot on, 6 would be ideal but seems as if everyone is afraid to go there and 220, at least here in Pittsburgh.

Showing my age now, but there was a time when gentlemen's agreements were honored and users sought out permission and advice on active repeaters with experienced ops offering credible feedback. Not hearing much anymore.

Don't think easing the licensing requirements did it, I blame social media (the digital playground) where rumors become fact, differing opinions get one shunned, and no one's fallen off the jungle jim yet and ran off crying seeking a safe space.

just my 50 cents.

Part of the problem: People figure they're not going to get in trouble, fines etc. So they figure nobody is going to know if they stick to the simplex frequencies.

So of the 6 of us, only two have a license. One of the others (one that borrowed my baofeng and 'forgot' to give it back) says he wants to get the license. We'll see...

Status
Not open for further replies.