I wish family could use my HAM radio license like GMRS

Status
Not open for further replies.

RogueSteward

Right now I have the family using MURS and GMRS radios, but it would be really nice if I could let them use radios that could be customized further and use my HAM license like they can the GMRS license. The GMRS radio does work for most purposes, but I'd rather have a more private frequency to use like maybe some 70cm or 2m frequencies. I'm not asking to blow out the radio band with some powerful radio, but responsibly use 2W, 5W or heck, 0.5W if needed on a HAM frequency to talk to my family. I have a HAM license, and can be the control operator and set it up for them so that it is operated within the rules. I have to do that right now anyway since I am also GMRS licensed. It's my responsibility to ensure that their radios are compliant and used properly with GMRS. I would do the same with HAM, plus it would make it more popular. Everywhere I hear that HAM is kind of dying, well this would be a solution and let immediate family piggyback on the HAM license.

There is no way I'm going to get my wife HAM licensed. Just some people don't have the aptitude for it. My daughter, yea maybe but she isn't all THAT interested in it like me but still interested enough to use it when we go camping and she goes off with her friend to the lake and what not...

What does everyone think about allowing immediate family to piggyback on their HAM license?

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Not only "NO!" but "Hell, NO!" Why don't we just "unlicense" it?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
What does everyone think about allowing immediate family to piggyback on their HAM license?

Yeah, won't happen.

I do understand where you are coming from, though. Went through the same thing.
However, here's what happened:
I've held an amateur licenses since the late 80's/early 90's (can't recall anymore).
I tried to get others interested, but no luck. No one wanted to put the effort in.
I rarely used amateur, and used CB for most family communications. Of course the CB's were well installed, permanent antennas, tuned, still running legal power, worked "well enough" for short range.
When we got active with ATV's, we really needed better communications. I finally got my GMRS license and set everyone up with commercial UHF radios. 4 watt hand held's and 35 watt mobiles. Again, well installed, permanent antennas, etc.
It worked really well. At one point I even had access to a high level repeater that covered a really big area. The repeater owner even set me up with our own PL tone, so we had more or less quiet communications.
While sitting around the campfire one night, I was talking about how well the GMRS radios were working, and everyone agreed. I mentioned about how my amateur radios had access to repeaters just about everywhere we rode. That sparked some interest.

A while later, I was able to get a few in the extended family to get their amateur licenses. Dad, brother, brother in law, the guys that would go riding ATV's with me. I moved them all over to VHF radios and used a simplex 2 meter frequency for our rides. 2 meter hand held radios, 2 meter mobiles, etc. it all worked very well. About that time we switched from ATV's to UTV's, so those were set up with VHF radios to make the rides a bit safer.

A few years later I was able to get a few others interested, mom, my wife, my sister… I found a club that did "Ham Cram" sessions. We spent a day there and they all walked out successfully passing their technician tests. None of them are technically minded, but the "ham cram" approach worked well for them. Of course it's an awful way to learn the technical side of the hobby. Being able to regurgitate the answers doesn't translate into knowledge. But none the less, they all have their amateur licenses, and it works out quite well.

We tend to stick to a simplex 2 meter frequency, and rarely run into any other users. While not "private", it's good enough.

I'd say you either need to invest in some better GMRS radios, as in true commercial mobiles and portables, or start looking for a local "ham cram". If you can get them to spend a few hours one Saturday, it might work.

RogueSteward

Yeah, won't happen.

I do understand where you are coming from, though. Went through the same thing.
However, here's what happened:
I've held an amateur licenses since the late 80's/early 90's (can't recall anymore).
I tried to get others interested, but no luck. No one wanted to put the effort in.
I rarely used amateur, and used CB for most family communications. Of course the CB's were well installed, permanent antennas, tuned, still running legal power, worked "well enough" for short range.
When we got active with ATV's, we really needed better communications. I finally got my GMRS license and set everyone up with commercial UHF radios. 4 watt hand held's and 35 watt mobiles. Again, well installed, permanent antennas, etc.
It worked really well. At one point I even had access to a high level repeater that covered a really big area. The repeater owner even set me up with our own PL tone, so we had more or less quiet communications.
While sitting around the campfire one night, I was talking about how well the GMRS radios were working, and everyone agreed. I mentioned about how my amateur radios had access to repeaters just about everywhere we rode. That sparked some interest.

A while later, I was able to get a few in the extended family to get their amateur licenses. Dad, brother, brother in law, the guys that would go riding ATV's with me. I moved them all over to VHF radios and used a simplex 2 meter frequency for our rides. 2 meter hand held radios, 2 meter mobiles, etc. it all worked very well. About that time we switched from ATV's to UTV's, so those were set up with VHF radios to make the rides a bit safer.

A few years later I was able to get a few others interested, mom, my wife, my sister… I found a club that did "Ham Cram" sessions. We spent a day there and they all walked out successfully passing their technician tests. None of them are technically minded, but the "ham cram" approach worked well for them. Of course it's an awful way to learn the technical side of the hobby. Being able to regurgitate the answers doesn't translate into knowledge. But none the less, they all have their amateur licenses, and it works out quite well.

We tend to stick to a simplex 2 meter frequency, and rarely run into any other users. While not "private", it's good enough.

I'd say you either need to invest in some better GMRS radios, as in true commercial mobiles and portables, or start looking for a local "ham cram". If you can get them to spend a few hours one Saturday, it might work.

Wow! You're lucky! I'd love to be able to raise my wife and kid on 2m simplex. One of these days I may see if I can get the wife and kid interested enough to ham cram, but I don't know... The kid, maybe, but the wife would be the hard one. She gets really upset at things that she can fail at...

I am looking at some better radios. Right now I'm using Tera TR505 on MURS but I am looking at something like the TK-390 which are pretty reasonably priced. I'd like something where I can turn the power down real low in FRS or GMRS bands, like 0.3W or 0.5W like my Yaesu can do in HAM bands. If you know of any good radios that can do that, please let me know. Please don't recommend me a crap CCR that does 0.5W. I am more interested in a good quality radio that can do 0.5W to 5W for GMRS family radio for now. I'd like to get a 0.5W MURS radio too...

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I am looking at some better radios. Right now I'm using Tera TR505 on MURS but I am looking at something like the TK-390 which are pretty reasonably priced. I'd like something where I can turn the power down real low in FRS or GMRS bands, like 0.3W or 0.5W like my Yaesu can do in HAM bands. If you know of any good radios that can do that, please let me know. Please don't recommend me a crap CCR that does 0.5W. I am more interested in a good quality radio that can do 0.5W to 5W for GMRS family radio for now. I'd like to get a 0.5W MURS radio too...

Under the FCC rules for FRS you would not be able to legally use the TK-390's or most other non-consumer radios on FRS. The FRS rules prohibit removable antennas as well as -any- way to change power levels above the 0.5 watt limit.

But, I get it…

The TK-390's are solid radios and are pretty cheap. I've got a user at work that I recently set up with about 5 of them on their radio system. They'd make great GMRS portables. I've got a TK-290, the VHF version, and after 15 years, I still like it.

The important part to making GMRS work well is all in the antenna. Getting a mobile installed in the cars with an external antenna helps range immensely. Adding a base at your home with an external antenna up as high as you can get it really helps on that end.
If you can find a GMRS repeater you can use, then it really starts to work well.
You can put up your own repeater, but it is -very- expensive to do it correctly.

RogueSteward

FCC rules 97.5, 97.7, 97.109 and 97.115 don't allow for that. What people think makes no difference.

I know it makes no difference and that the rules don't allow for it, but I'm just interested in opinions...

Not only "NO!" but "Hell, NO!" Why don't we just "unlicense" it?

Unlicensing it would be a bad idea, I'm not asking about that at all. I'm proud of my HAM license and would be upset if it was freely available to abuse.

I just don't see a problem with using it like licensed GMRS. It's kind of cute to hear my kiddo say my call letters like a responsible person unlike many out there using 5W GMRS with no license.

RogueSteward

Under the FCC rules for FRS you would not be able to legally use the TK-390's or most other non-consumer radios on FRS. The FRS rules prohibit removable antennas as well as -any- way to change power levels above the 0.5 watt limit.

But, I get it…

The TK-390's are solid radios and are pretty cheap. I've got a user at work that I recently set up with about 5 of them on their radio system. They'd make great GMRS portables. I've got a TK-290, the VHF version, and after 15 years, I still like it.

The important part to making GMRS work well is all in the antenna. Getting a mobile installed in the cars with an external antenna helps range immensely. Adding a base at your home with an external antenna up as high as you can get it really helps on that end.
If you can find a GMRS repeater you can use, then it really starts to work well.
You can put up your own repeater, but it is -very- expensive to do it correctly.

You're right. FRS can't be used with the TK-390. How low can the power level go on it? Just 2W? Can I turn it down and use it at 0.5W on GMRS channels?

KD9KSO

Operating unlicensed on AR frequencies? NO.

They study, take the test, and get their license like everyone else. An amateur radio is not a cell phone with a PTT button.

Hi Rogue
I am afraid, my friend, that you really stepped into it there !- In the over scheme of All-Things-Ham Radio- on its target of passion- you just scored the perfect Bull's Eye.
But I am not going to be one of your detractors... I too understand why you wrote that and where you are coming from. But Rogue, unlicensed amateur radio has been a topic banter'd about since the first radio hams. There is such anti strong feelings about it among a vocal majority that you'll never (well, probably never) see it come about.
The alternatives, MURS, GMRS, CB ,FRS and cel'phones really are quite reasonable for what you have in mind.... especially GMRS. You'll never successfully lobby for the kind of ham licenses you envision, and you'll only incur a boat load of wrath attempting it. In the end, if your family is adamant about not embracing the ham license- best embrace something like GMRS. And really, what's not to like about GMR? You can communicate just as far on UHF as most hams do on 70 cm... you can own your own repeaters, there is 50 watts.....directional antennas, high towers...a whole slew of channels......
But Hey, remember that you aren't alone-- this story has played out all over the country in families just like yours for YEARS.
Fasten your seat belt Rogue- you are about to hear from a lot of folks ...... :)
Cheers ! ................. Lauri :)

prcguy

Amateur operators are allowed to not only build their own equipment but program and use commercial, military surplus or whatever to get on the air. Studying and passing a test proves the amateur operator knows the allowed frequencies and other technical things needed to operate legally. How would your wife or child have a clue on how to operate an HF radio with an analog VFO or know what the band edges are? How would they know how much power they are putting out?

Anyone operating an amateur radio by themselves had better have a license and know the rules.

There is nothing wrong with Facetious... Goodness knows there is too much Faux Seriousness in these forums.
..................... :)
Lauri

RogueSteward

In the end, if your family is adamant about not embracing the ham license- best embrace something like GMRS. And really, what's not to like about GMR? You can communicate just as far on UHF as most hams do on 70 cm... you can own your own repeaters, there is 50 watts.....directional antennas, high towers...a whole slew of channels.......

My family isn't adamant about not getting their HAM, it's just a matter of time or desire. You're right though, GMRS can be pretty fun too.

Anyone operating an amateur radio by themselves had better have a license and know the rules.

Just like with GMRS, since I'm the control operator, I have to know the rules and make sure my family knows and follows the rules.

Eh.. I know it's a sticky area, lot's of passionate arguments from some of the HAM guys, I get it. I guess I fall into the crowd where I wouldn't mind a rule change where licensed HAM operators could allow their immediate family to piggyback on their license similar to how GMRS works, so long as radios are set up properly within constraints and station identification is followed. Heck, if people really want it exclusive, make it Amateur Extra class only, that would really limit this type of usage.

Anyway, it's all just wishes and me voicing an opinion, that's all. Some people may think it is a good idea, some people may think it's a horrible idea.

RFI-EMI-GUY

As far as "privacy", ham radio is no more private than FRS or GMRS. You could get a business licence and use high level encryption. That would be as private as you can get. However the cost would floor you.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
Yeah, not going to happen. However, I would like to see a power increase on MURS, paired with some nice 50w mobiles and 5w portables. Between GMRS and MURS, you'd have a pretty decent choice for the license-free stuff.

D

DaveNF2G

You really want to hear the kids at the mall using 5 watts? Blechh.

Status
Not open for further replies.