CW: Cheat WPM? Mon Ordinateur Reponde Sans Esprit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

needairtime

I overheard a conversation (phone of course, I don't know morse code yet) about how morse code can be encoded and now decoded by computer - and now morse code is really just another digital coding scheme that's time (dit vs dah) and frequency shift keyed (frequency vs 0Hz silence).

Is it cheating to make a computer listen to and respond to morse code for contests, etc.?

I was thinking about doing something like this, not for contests, but for training for my brain to help learn morse code. Having something decode something for me on the fly seems like a good way to learn - I try to decode myself, and if I can't decode in time, have the program tell me what it was and the "OH!!!" moment.

Having myself being able to "speak" code without the help of a computer would let me decode/encode intelligible communication over a very bandwidth limited communication channel whether it be a CW or a flashlight.

(I overheard the conversation of hams over GMRS, why they wanted to use GMRS about ham topics I don't know...)

majoco

Stirrer
That was one of the earliest achievements of the home computer - encoding and decoding CW - I could do it on my C64 back in the 80's. However, error-free reception needed a very clean signal, no fades, monkey chatter, background noise or anything like that. Even then, you had to guesstimate the speed of the CW and the sender had to be consistent. Training yourself to read morse by seeing a flashing light trains the wrong part of the brain, you need the sound. Plenty of training programs around with different methods - the Mk1 ear is still the best CW receiving device - it can sort out the tone from the noise far better. DON'T start attempting to send until you can receive, then you can train your wrist to send along with the "perfect" morse that you have received. You can hear plenty of bad morse on the amateur bands!

needairtime

I figure that you can do the analysis of both poor/faded signals and automatic speed training with faster machines nowadays (AI?). Also able to filter out (in software!) unwanted signals/tones. The older computers could do pretty well if the signal was clean of course. But is this considered "cheating" if someone does something like this?

People have to learn somewhere, and it takes practice to send too, I'm not surprised there's a lot of bad senders out there, also probably getting used to paddles or straight keys depending on what they were used to before. Sounds like I have to find a decent high WPM/high space source to learn to optimize decode speed.

Writing an algorithm seems easier...

Its nice that Morse has been relegated to an optional mode. As so many are aware, it wasn't always that way- and if you wanted to be a Ham you had to know how to send and receive it. The angst this produced is still out there today.
As one who never liked it, I think anything you do, Needs, to receive code is not cheating. There are many that delite in Morse- but I'm not one of them. I have passed various country's government administ'd code tests- and with each of their passings my liking for it decreased.
There are plenty of good, freely available methods to learn code, but like a language (and I know Morse is not a language) --it will just take practice, and more practice,-- despite what anyone tells you.
il n'y a pas de raccourci, mon ami -- bonne chance ........ :)
One of my most memorable Morse 'contacts' recall'd thru the years took place long ago on holiday in Switzerland (I was then living in the UK.) I was a teenager, camping with my family on the shore of a large lake- and about a mile across the water was a village. At night the lights of the many homes that lined that lake were clearly visible. Having that unrepressed teenage spirit, on our last night at that campsite, I took a 'torch' (flashlight) down to the shore and randomly starting send "CQ" across the water towards those lights.
To my surprise, I got an answer !
--It was coming from another radio amateur ----
We exchanged callsigns, names etc.;--- His report was "Q5 Copy, S1 strength"...."-(I was very readable thru his binoculars. Note no 'Tone" report)
Though he was but a short distance across the water, it was a very long lake; to drive over and meet him wasn't possible.
But we later exchanged QSL cards... one of my most cherished to this day.... :)
Lauri

needairtime

Thanks it looks like that it's legitimate for ARRL CW/DX contesting to use computers to decode/encode morse code (and not just by using a paddle keyer!) This seems "wrong" IMHO but I guess that's why the Element 1 (morse code) requirement was dropped from the licensing examinations. Technology moves on I suppose? !

nanZor

I was thinking about doing something like this, not for contests, but for training for my brain to help learn morse code. Having something decode something for me on the fly seems like a good way to learn - I try to decode myself, and if I can't decode in time, have the program tell me what it was and the "OH!!!" moment.

For me the "OH!" moment was when as an SWL who just wanted to learn cw to make the most of my receiver's capabilities, was when I stepped beyond the mental lookup of what cw looked like with a chart, and started sending the characters I learned little by little by sending it with a straight key and a practice oscillator.

Cassette practice tapes got me off the ground. Followed by listening to my receiver, and just copying as much as I could - but quickly ignored the characters I didn't know. Little by little it got better, but I had a block - and a speed limiting one at that by doing a mental visual character lookup in my brain.

So when I got bored or frustrated with listening on-air, I just grabbed some paper copy like a newspaper or magazine, and fantasized about having to send as much as I knew with the practice oscillator to an invisible receiver on the other end. :)

At first I started with a piece of junk straight key that bent easily, so I bit the bullet and got a Nye-Viking straight key. That nicer bit of precision kit really got my brain to lock into not only how a character sounds, but how it "feels" to send it. When I came across a character I didn't yet know, I just skipped it, figuring that the invisible op on the other end would put it together. Just the opposite of receiving - don't spend too much time trying to figure out a character you don't yet know - just skip it. The context of what is being sent might do the "fill" in for you.

Combining the audio and tactile sensations together got me up to speed much faster. That and just the overall sense of wonder of having to know what was being sent to my lil' Heathkit SW-717 shortwave receiver.

Thing is, as an swl, I wasn't committing myself to becoming an amateur radio op, although later on I did. Having cw already under my belt and part of my normal monitoring activities made it much more enjoyable.

Last edited by a moderator:

ladn

Explorer of the Frequency Spectrum
Premium Subscriber
Southern California and sometimes Owens Valley
Its nice that Morse has been relegated to an optional mode. As so many are aware, it wasn't always that way- and if you wanted to be a Ham you had to know how to send and receive it. The angst this produced is still out there today....

My thoughts exactly! I got my ticket back in the Morse era. I always considered the code requirement to be a unreasonable obstacle to getting a ham license. The knowledge of Morse Code (or lack thereof) has no correlation to being a good amateur operator. I will forever hold a grudge against the ARRL for supporting the code requirement for so many years.

I've never used manually sent code, but I have had a few qso's using machine generated/translated code using a PK-232 and computer.

For those who like brass pounding, I say, let 'em pound brass. There's plenty of mode and spectrum diversity out there.

needairtime

I don't think it's an "unreasonable" requirement but yes, it did stop me from getting licensed. In fact, though I would not transmit at 1500W, I may still have illegally (i.e. without license) transmitted at 10W or so anyway (or even do digital coding over CB which is also illegal). Now that without the Morse code requirement, it's much easier: I figure that being licensed and doing things legally, I don't have to worry about FCC coming by my door and doing a FO. :) But I digress and apologies for any dead horse beating...

I just was kind of surprised they allowed computer decode/encode for contests because Morse was designed for serial communications for humans and PSK31 / asynchronous serial were meant for computers. The other thing is that I suppose nobody other than possibly homebrew makes analog transceivers anymore, they all likely have microcontrollers or microprocessors in them anyway, and might well use them for decoding/encoding Morse. So as long as people only buy their gear, they will eventually all have Morse code functionality built in...

Come to speak of it, is it rare that anyone uses all-analog amateur radio gear nowadays (for HF)? It seems like everyone has pretty much retired their old Heathkits and got Icoms or something. For 2m/70cm the value of a PLL synthesizer is not even funny, so I suspect all currently in-use 2m/70cm gear have some digital logic in them for their synthesizers...

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
I think there are a few things that need to be said here.

I don't think that using a computer to send and receive Morse is cheating any more than using a keyer or a bug is cheating. The only part that would be cheating is if you tried to make other operators believe that you actually knew Morse code.

Morse is not a digital mode. It is analog, but can be converted to digital. However, the structure of Morse code with varying character length is not a digital mode. No bits or bytes or words etc. Nor is it binary because it is not simply on or off. Character length and spacing are critical. No computer code has that characteristic.

Was Morse an "unreasonable" requirement? Only for those who didn't want to learn it. Amateur radio was seen as providing a pool of operators available to the military. The was true for a long time. However, the military no longer uses Morse and the requirement could be dropped.

The contention that ARRL wanted to keep the Morse requirement is only partly true. No doubt there were those in the League that were against dropping Morse. Nevertheless, it is the FCC not the ARRL that makes the rules. No code licenses were the result of the ARRL petitioning the FCC for rule changes.

I often hear people say that knowing Morse is not a requirement to be a good radio operator. Yet, we are expected to be familiar with all modulation methods. You could test a person's knowledge of SSB or FM on an objective test. You can't test Morse skills other than by actually requiring the applicant to receive a short message. Sending was not a requirement for amateur licenses.

The ARRL realized, for their own survival, that they would get more members by making amateur radio more accessible. I got my license up through Advanced when there was a Morse requirement. I never disciplined myself to do 20 wpm and, thus, didn't get my Extra until the code requirement was dropped. I don't begrudge anyone with a codeless license. Plenty of people go on to learn and use Morse requirement or no. It is alive and well however you want to use it or not as the case may be.

Don't get caught up in this feeling you are some how cheating, Needs, by not knowing Morse Code and using a machine to decode it. Its only a code- that's all. Understanding the characters is just the start of it. Since it is a very slow way of communicating, operators since Samuel Morse have been using a host of abbreviations to speed things along.
Q Signals, 'Zed" Signals-- all sorts of abbreviations like "OM, K, 73, ......"-- there's a whole other layer of codes to learn to go along with Morse... and we haven't even touch'd the non Latin based alphabets-- want a challenge, learn Russian and then communicate in the Cyrillic code, maybe Japanese Morse... (I'm being a SmartA**....sorry... :) ) But I hope you get my point.
There are many good ways to learn the code, and like Majoco and Hertz have described... the big thing is practice and not getting discouraged. Think of it as learning a neat neolithic skill --like starting a fire with a fire-drill (my latest conquest, btw :) ) You can use the code to amaze your friends and family,-- and who knows, maybe even enjoy it as a communications tool for ham radio. Just be thankful you don't *have* to use it anymore .
Returning back to this 'cheating'- Another story--
Good Morse operators hear code, but they don't really hear the individual dits and dah's- they hear it in words and complete sentences. My grandfather told me of my great aunt who was a Marconi Company operator who could be carrying on a conversation with you, and at the same time she'd be listening to a stream of high speed Morse. She didn't decode anything- she just heard words, and another person talking to her was like she was listening to second conversation simultaneously. I can only imagine that skill.
However,-- delving into more family stuff... that grandfather was a ham and he liked Radio Teletype. Visiting his home was always a treat for he was always playing with something teletype- usually on 80 metre' with his huge Model 19's (that smell of ozone....) He and his friends would send these beautiful character-generated pictures to each other using RTTY- but that's another subject.
As a kid I was fascinated watching those machines printing out conversational text- and I swore that after awhile I could correlate certain 'beetle-beetle' sounds with distinct letters. At least in my childish bravado I thought so at the time. In later years I used to joke about the Morse requirement for a ham license not being enuff- that manual RTTY deciphering should also be a requirement to prove you were a 'real ham.'
And I'd get some of the iciest stares !
Lauri

needairtime

The main reason why I pose the question is when I was up at Field Day I first saw someone doing PSK31 to get contacts...he seemed to be looking and listening and typing things in (logging)...seemingly having to push a button when he received a valid transmission...

It almost seems that whole thing should be automated - just make the computer listen for PSK31, decode them and answer them - log them automatically. If it didn't hear anything, go ahead and send out the CQs or change frequencies. I suspect with good signal processing, even poor signals can be picked out.

Then I walked over to someone doing Morse code. Seemed a bit more cumbersome, he was switching over between the paddle and pressing a button to sent prerecorded responses...

WHAT? Prerecorded responses?!?!

Well, CW sort of feels a bit silly now, why can't a computer listen to them, decode them, and treat it like PSK31. You could even make the computer time the dits and dahs to calculate the sender's WPM and send back at the same speed. If the computer "hears" a QRS then go ahead and repeat with a slower speed.

Granted yeah, the communication is taking place - this is the heart of radiocommunication and not testing someone's ability to decode/encode beeps into letters. So long as ARRL contests recognize that this is acceptable, then I'm at ease with this. It just makes it somewhat harder for people without the equipment to win?

But I'd still like to be able to do flashlight Morse code, which is a good skill to have. If it came down to it, I could manually convert a message to ASCII/binary and beam the flashlight like a UART. It takes too long to convert, and then my finger "clock pulsing" probably good enough to be a good UART even at 1 baud, especially sending things like 0x81, getting those 6 0's in would be tough...

... and then on the receiver side...

"WHAT? Prerecorded responses?!?!
..........Well, CW sort of feels a bit silly now...."
Ah !, you are becoming wise Grasshopper....lol :)
it *Is* kind'a silly, No?.. I mean, using modern digital technology to communicate over the most ancient of communication's modes. Sort of like starting a fire with a fire-drill, only instead of using the ancient bow and string, you use an electric drill to drive the spindle instead.
This has a lot to do with why some of us early on developed a distaste for Morse- not because something was wrong with code- but becuz it was being forced down our throats-- We knew there were better, easier ways to talk to each other than this silly stuff with our fingers.
I would dare say that those guys you saw sending automated highspeed Morse couldn't survive if they had to use their ears and a key. Just becuz code was useful once in the past century, doesn't mean it stays that way-- look at horses and buggies. If it feels a little silly, welcome to the club. :)

I took both my ham test in the UK and later in the US- back in those closing days of actually having to go downtown to sit the Morse in PERSON in front of government examiners. Imagine the anxiety of a young teenager sitting at a hard school desk, decoding Morse at 12wpm's (I think that was the Brit speed)-- letters, numbers AND punctuation marks ! Then I had to send something back at the same speed on a straight key.
I think the pressure must have showed on me that first time; I did fine on the receiving, and when it came time to send, I had barely gotten an eighth of the way through my message when the examiner came over to me, patted me gently on the shoulder and said
"That's enough Sweetie- you Passed"
Sometime, maybe, I'll fully recount my worst experience** with a code exam in a To-Remain-Anonymous Central American country.....
"Senora, what is the Morse Code letter for 'A' ?"
I answered-------
"Eso Maravilloso !....what Callsign would you like?"
Lauri

majoco

Stirrer
Waay back when I was learning (had to learn if you wanted the job) the code, our instructor said "in your head, sound out the dits and dahs of any signwriting you see on your travels". Good scheme - it quickly finds those letters that you are not totally comfortable with. However, it did promote some rather strange looks from other travellers when us students were all ditting and dah-ing "London Transport" when a bus went by..... :)

......and don't forget that morse is faster than a text message....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRuRE-Bwk1U

Another thing you should learn is the proper phonetic alphabet. Don't make up your own or use the older versions of Able, Baker, Charlie etc. It may sound good to you but the 'word' for the letters have been specifically chosen by phonetisists in the ITU to be pronounceable and understood by those who do not necessarily speak English as a first language.

Last edited:

djeplett

I just have to relate my Morse story since I've been following this thread with interest...

I went to get my ticket in 2005 because the scuttlebutt was that the requirement would go away and I wanted to be able to say I had to learn 5wpm code to get my General license. So I walked in with nothing and walked out with my General. I have yet to use Morse since but I am proud to say that I did it.

But the funny part was I learned Morse using WB6NOA Gordon West's tapes. They worked well for me and I went into the test very confident. Then I put on the headphones and started hearing the dits and dahs--recordings from on the air--complete with fading and occasional static. Where Gordo's tapes were perfect pitch recordings, these were W1WA off-the-air recordings. I struggled! It was like I knew the language but someone was speaking it with a strange dialect I had never heard. Luckily, I had a couple stretches where I had (I think it was) two full minutes of good copy. So I passed. But it was a struggle to be sure!

K5MPH

Brownsville Texas,On The Border By The Sea.
That was one of the earliest achievements of the home computer - encoding and decoding CW - I could do it on my C64 back in the 80's. However, error-free reception needed a very clean signal, no fades, monkey chatter, background noise or anything like that. Even then, you had to guesstimate the speed of the CW and the sender had to be consistent. Training yourself to read morse by seeing a flashing light trains the wrong part of the brain, you need the sound. Plenty of training programs around with different methods - the Mk1 ear is still the best CW receiving device - it can sort out the tone from the noise far better. DON'T start attempting to send until you can receive, then you can train your wrist to send along with the "perfect" morse that you have received. You can hear plenty of bad morse on the amateur bands!
I used to also use a C64 and a Vic 20 to decode CW back in the 80's I used a Air-1 interface that plug in to the back of the computer it was really fun,the code was never my cup of tea dont hate it just never got into it so is it cheating I say no its all about the hobby so go for it .......

Last edited:

Token

My thoughts exactly! I got my ticket back in the Morse era. I always considered the code requirement to be a unreasonable obstacle to getting a ham license. The knowledge of Morse Code (or lack thereof) has no correlation to being a good amateur operator. I will forever hold a grudge against the ARRL for supporting the code requirement for so many years.

Ehhh, it could be argued that greater familiarity with diverse communications techniques broadens the knowledge base of an individual and potentially makes them a more rounded operator.

But in general I agree, proficiency in code does not make a persons a "better" ham, and never did. However, I will say that I think that in general requiring people to learn the code as a licensing prerequisite did make the average ham better. I know, it sounds contradictory, but it is not, let me explain.

Knowing the code does not make a person a better ham. They are what they are, I feel, whether they know the code or not. Some potentially very good hams were driven off because they could never learn the code, I knew several myself that I think would have been great hams who did not do it because of the code requirement.

However, it is absolutely true it takes less effort today to get a ham license. I am not arguing that the test is easier to pass (although I think that also) but even if the test was just as stringent today the rest of the process is quicker and easier, including not having to take the time to learn code.

It flat out takes less effort today to get a ham license. And that is great in some ways, and not so great in others.

In the past you had to "want" the license more, and put in more effort, and more time. Even when the test was multiple choice you still had to study the material and learn it (however temporarily for some people) to pass the test, not just memorize the correct answers from a pre-released question pool. This learning almost always involved extended exposure to practicing hams, and learning the hobby before you were licensed. Then you had to learn the code, again something that is normally not done alone, and further increasing your exposure to the hobby before you are licensed.

And (prior to 1977) to get the Extra class you had to hold an HF voice license for either one or two years (depending on the time period being discussed) before you were able to test for Extra. You not only had to have such a license, but you had to have a log book that showed activity on the HF bands. This guarenteed that the holder of an Extra class was experienced.

Back then the average examinee probably knew more about ham radio before they took the test. And because they had put more effort into getting to that point, taking the test, it likely weeded out a number of people who were less serious about the hobby. The ones who tested had to be more driven, because it had taken more effort to get to that point.

So the process did not make them a better ham, knowing the code did not make them a better ham, but getting to that point might have loaded the deck a bit to make it more likely that the people who completed the process were better hams, or at least more driven to be there.

As to the OPs question, is using computers, either to send or receive code, cheating? Shoot no, it is using another tool in the kit. But to date I have not seen an available program that can do it as fast or as well as a well versed human under adverse listening conditions. When signals are strong and clear, sure, but when there are half a dozen crammed in 200 Hz, and you want the guy who is 20 dB down from the guy 25 Hz away, I think the human ear is more dependable.

T!

zz0468

QRT
Banned
That reminds me of one of my more memorable cw contacts. Like yours, it was optical. But in my case, it was me toggling the swimming pool lights, and getting answered by the Goodyear blimp.

It was the early 70s Southern California, we lived close enough to the fairgrounds where the Winternational drag races are held. I could hear the cars making their runs from about 10 miles away. The blimp would fly over the area at night with it's advertising lights scrolling.

The control car had a NightSun spotlight, and I'd flash Morse code with the pool lights, and the blimp would circle the house and flash back with the spotlight.

It came back 3 nights in a row. Lots of hihihi back and forth and very little else. But man, what a thrill for my 10 or 12 year old self!

I'm a hardcore CW, btw. Kinda rusty right now, but at my peak, 30 wpm copy in my head was a breeze. I still do 20 meter CW mobile on my commute to work, sometimes.

One of my most memorable Morse 'contacts' recall'd thru the years took place long ago on holiday in Switzerland...

...I took a 'torch' (flashlight) down to the shore and randomly starting send "CQ" across the water towards those lights.
To my surprise, I got an answer !

Me ? I have no argument that the code requirement made for a more ardent ham... much like undergoing a fraternity/sorority initiation. And having passed the code, it admit'd one into a select esprit de corps of fellow Trekkies.
But my question has always been- is this in the keeping of why the exam was given in the first place? The radio exam is supposed to demonstrate that you have a knowledge above the general population to be able to legally and safely operate a hobby class radio station in amongst a lot of other more serious Big Players-- Does it??
My best analogy- at the moment- is the mixture of military, commercial and general aviation. You better know the rules but you are not playing in this arena as a Southwest or an F16.....same air up there, however-- stay out of truble.... ;)
Once upon a time, a long time ago- Ham radio and Morse knowledge made good sense. Everything and everybody used CW. My grandfather (the bombardier) on his B24 would often spell the radio operator on their returns from targets so the RO could man a 50 cal. machine (he was a better gunner than my grandfather) ---- that was because as a ham he knew Morse. Every bloody thing in those days was Morse.
If we want to compared tits for tats ( was that slightly provocative.. ? ...sorry: the Vodka ?) - my first ham test as not only receiving but sending too-- I had only an inkling of what was on the written part, but I knew it could be **Anything**-- I had to draw schematics (plural) and EXPLAIN them to examiners (another plural), all amongst the other hoops to jump thru. I can see why some think if they successfully went thru that, everyone should.. But I don't.........
Did this Trial by Fire make me a 'real ham'?? -- Baloney ! .... all I can point to of that Initiation Ritual was I knew Morse. And today I still take a certain perverse pleasure in never going beyond Advance Class.... its my having that Government Seal of Assurance of my Morse Code knowledge --- (sorry Extra's- but are you really, Really, truly "Hams" ??-- I mean-- where's that FCC "Badge of Code?"-- facetious-- Facetious ! Guys, really ! put down the pitchforks ... :) )
Machine decode it, ignore it, love it- forget it- Morse is just another tool. But is hardly the measure of your metal as a ham.
Lauri ...

Status
Not open for further replies.