Ham radio as WX emergeny backup

Status
Not open for further replies.

canadavisitor

For a weeklong canoe trip in Ontario I got myself a cheap Boafeng GT-3TP Mark III.

I did this based on some youtube videos :) and THEN started to inform myself - so please dont beat me up on my plans.

My idea was to
* use the radio for receiving weather radio
* NOT use the transmission features
* feel safe with possible transmissions in case of a life threatening emergeny (instead of satelleite technology).

I now read up quite a lot on (German) rules and regulations, frequencies etc. I plan to make a German HAM exam to be able to really use this in the future, because the topic somehow sparked my interest now.

For the trip to the Ontario backcountry, this will come too late however. :(

Now I want to make sure that I am not doing anything illegal

* bringing the device to Canada
* possesing and carrying the device on my trip
* using the device as a WX radio

as long as I dont transmit. (This would be legal in Germany).

The stuff I found so far on Google was contradictory, so I hope some of you can help.

wyShack

Premium Subscriber
I am US based and not really aware of Industry Canada requirements. I believe that Canada (like the US) has no issue with possession of a transmitter, but draws the line on actually transmitting. You should check the Industry Canada (their radio regulator) for better information.

Last edited:

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
The stuff I found so far on Google was contradictory, so I hope some of you can help.

YouTube videos and Google searches will, as you discovered, give you a lot of information. Unfortunately a lot of it is incorrect.

I'm in the USA, but spend a lot of time in Canada. Never had an issue crossing the border with radios in my truck. It's not something that they look for.

You are correct that transmitting without a license would not be legal. Using the radio as a weather receiver would be OK.

To make things easier, though, you might want to look at just getting a basic portable weather radio. That way if it gets dropped or broken, it's not a big loss.
Truth is you likely wouldn't be able to reach anyone for help with that radio. You'd have to have it programmed with the local frequencies to even have a chance of reaching someone. With their small antennas and low power, you'd be lucky to get a few miles range at best.

If safety is one of the concerns, you can rent Personal Locator Beacons. They are a small version of an EPRIB and will get you help in an emergency no matter where you are.

Hey Canada :)
A canoe trip thru the lakes of Ontario sounds like great fun.
I wouldn't place any usefulness in that handheld radio for emergencies. My recollections of most of Ontario is you'll be in thick spruce forests where a low power'd V/UHF radio may talk, at best a couple miles. With its short, stubby antenna the efficiency is going to be about Nil' in those woods. Carry it for weather broadcast, though those may be spotty too.
I second the personal emergency beacon as what you want for emergencies.
Lauri.... :)

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
I've crossed back and forth between Canada and the US as well as other countries many times carrying all sorts of ham radio equipment. I visit the US a couple of times a year. Nobody has ever challenged me on it or asked for a license.

Receiving WX signals with the Baofeng might be a problem depending on where you plan to go. The province of Ontario is almost 3 times larger in area than the whole country of Germany. There are vast areas in the north and northwest with no radio coverage on any sort.. No cellular, no nothing :) But, the radio would be handy for scanning local stuff when you visit larger cities.

Hope you enjoy your visit!

ab5r

I am curious: (1) are Canadian WX frequencies the same as here in the U.S.? (2) Are the WX settings "fixed" or tunable on that radio?

Lauri's suggestion is also VERY good.

nd5y

I am curious: (2) Are the WX settings "fixed" or tunable on that radio?
Baofeng radios don't have weather settings. You would have to program the US/Canadian weather channels in memories yourself or enter the frequencies in VFO mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.