Cross Band Repeat question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Murphy625

I have a question on the functioning aspects of radios that are capable of cross band repeating.

How do these radios distinguish between background noise and an actual signal? If a radio is set up for bidirectional (UHF/VHF) repeating, and a weak signal hits the radio, how does it know to re-transmit that signal?

Is it based on a squelch setting? Is there some other circuitry that can tell the difference between background noise and speech? Or maybe they require a PL tone?

What prevents the radio from just constant transmission of static?

nd5y

The transmitter is activated when the squelch opens, like any other repeater.
You set the squelch tight enough so random noise doesn't key it up or you use PL or DCS to keep from repeating anything without the correct tone.

N9PBD

Premium Subscriber
I have a question on the functioning aspects of radios that are capable of cross band repeating.

How do these radios distinguish between background noise and an actual signal? If a radio is set up for bidirectional (UHF/VHF) repeating, and a weak signal hits the radio, how does it know to re-transmit that signal?

Is it based on a squelch setting? Is there some other circuitry that can tell the difference between background noise and speech? Or maybe they require a PL tone?

What prevents the radio from just constant transmission of static?

The best option is to use either tone or digital squelch, as ND5Y stated. That keeps out not just static, but other hams that may be unaware that you have chosen a specific simplex frequency for one side of your cross-band repeater. Remember that both sides of your cross-band setup will require tones, as both sides will receive, and transmit (at opposite times, of course).

Murphy625

The best option is to use either tone or digital squelch, as ND5Y stated. That keeps out not just static, but other hams that may be unaware that you have chosen a specific simplex frequency for one side of your cross-band repeater. Remember that both sides of your cross-band setup will require tones, as both sides will receive, and transmit (at opposite times, of course).

It took me a few minutes to figure this out.. You're saying that CTCSS should be used correct?

When we did our test, the HT could barely make the trip at only 5 watts, but it did make it. When her voice was heard, there was static along with it as the signal was just barely above the background noise. Her words were clear, but her signal didn't completely drown out everything else.. If I turned the squelch up, I wouldn't hear her at all.

Am I to understand that if we used CTCSS, then I could turn the squelch up above the noise and her tone would open the squelch as needed?

Part of me is thinking that if the signal is that weak, the radio might not pick up the CTCSS tone at all... Is that a valid concern?
Would there be any difference if DCS (Digital Coded Squelch) was used?

And this brings me to another curiosity, how much of the noise on the VHF/UHF bands is man-made? While I realize that the answer would probably change drastically based on one's location relevant to a metropolitan area, I'm just looking for a generalized answer. (I'm in a rural area) I mean, if all man-made noise was all of a sudden eliminated, how much would the noise floor drop assuming average natural activity?

Correct me if I'm mistaken, but it's my understanding that the cosmic microwave background and solar wind interacting with the planet's magnetic field are the main sources of natural RF noise, how do these compare to what's man made at VHF/UHF frequencies?

After an hour of reading some very technical PDF files I barely understand, it seems to me that the amount of natural noise and the frequency measured are somewhat inversely related. The higher the frequency, the less natural noise but the more man-made noise. Did I get that correct?

I apologize in advance if I sound like an idiot.. feel free to set me straight.

N9PBD

Premium Subscriber
It took me a few minutes to figure this out.. You're saying that CTCSS should be used correct?

Yes, that is correct. Sorry for not making that clear.

Murphy625 said:
When we did our test, the HT could barely make the trip at only 5 watts, but it did make it. When her voice was heard, there was static along with it as the signal was just barely above the background noise. Her words were clear, but her signal didn't completely drown out everything else.. If I turned the squelch up, I wouldn't hear her at all.

Am I to understand that if we used CTCSS, then I could turn the squelch up above the noise and her tone would open the squelch as needed?

Yes, as the tone rides the same audio as her voice does, it's just lower in frequency, and your radio filters it out before the audio comes out the speaker.

Murphy625 said:
Part of me is thinking that if the signal is that weak, the radio might not pick up the CTCSS tone at all... Is that a valid concern?

It is possible, but if there is enough of her signal to break squelch without a tone, then there should be enough for a tone decode (at least most of the time) by your radio.

Murphy625 said:
Would there be any difference if DCS (Digital Coded Squelch) was used?

Good question. I'm not familiar enough with DCS, as none of the amateur analog repeaters in my area use DCS, and most public service agencies are on a 800 MHz P25 trunked system.

Murphy625 said:
And this brings me to another curiosity, how much of the noise on the VHF/UHF bands is man-made? While I realize that the answer would probably change drastically based on one's location relevant to a metropolitan area, I'm just looking for a generalized answer. (I'm in a rural area) I mean, if all man-made noise was all of a sudden eliminated, how much would the noise floor drop assuming average natural activity?

A lot more than most people realize. Man-made sources are all around us. Just about anything electronic (or even simply electrical) make RF noise, some worse than others. The proliferation of cheap LED lighting, and florescent light bulbs have caused a large amount of RF pollution. The good thing is that FM radios, like your analog transceivers, are less susceptible to RF noise than other modulation techniques, like amplitude modulation (AM), or single side-band (SSB) modes.

Murphy625 said:
Correct me if I'm mistaken, but it's my understanding that the cosmic microwave background and solar wind interacting with the planet's magnetic field are the main sources of natural RF noise, how do these compare to what's man made at VHF/UHF frequencies?

Cosmic background radiation levels are well below most of the man-made sources, which are obviously coming from much closer to you. I listed some common sources above, but include your car electronics, computers, even your cell phones, in the list.

Murphy625 said:
After an hour of reading some very technical PDF files I barely understand, it seems to me that the amount of natural noise and the frequency measured are somewhat inversely related. The higher the frequency, the less natural noise but the more man-made noise. Did I get that correct?

I would agree with that, for the most part. When I was in the Air Force, I was a ground radar technician. One unit I was assigned to was responsible for assessing, and optimizing radar systems in their installed environments. We had to have accurate antenna beam pattern, and gain measurements for our engineers to calculate parameters. To measure that pattern, we needed a point RF source of sufficient strength, that we could move through the beam, in what is called the 'far field', while taking measurements of the received signal strength. We used an unlikely RF source, our very own Sun. It makes a very good, broadband radiator in the 2.7 - 3.0 GHz band that we were interested in. We would start our measurements before sunrise, and sunset, and measure the received signal strength each time the antenna swept across the Sun's location as the sun moved up or down in the sky. We had a computer program that integrated all of the information into a very nice plot of the beam pattern, and table of gains. Sorry for being long winded, but I wanted to illustrate an unlikely RF noise source for you. In fact, if you look at your local weather radar display (NEXRAD), either on the NWS site, or your local television station, around sunrise, and sunset, you can often see a 'Sun strobe', wedge of noise on the radar display in the direction of the Sun's location in the sky.

Murphy625 said:
I apologize in advance if I sound like an idiot.. feel free to set me straight.

Not at all sounding like an idiot, great questions, and something all amateur radio operators have an interest in.

Murphy625

Thank you for taking the time to answer my question.. I appreciate the lengthy responses as it aids in providing insight to my understanding. The simple short answers don't always do the job.

Going to keep reading..

nd5y

If you are trying to learn about radio and electronics by reading random internet stuff and watching and random youtube videos whenever you come across a word you don't understand then you are making a big mistake.

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
When we did our test, the HT could barely make the trip at only 5 watts, .

What trip are you making ? How far are you trying to get the signal to go? It sounds like the noise issue might be caused by a weak signal.

How do you have things set up? Is the crossband HT sitting on a kitchen table with the factory antenna, or is it located outdoors high above the ground? Are there any obstructions, (hills buildings)?

djeplett

To answer your question about using DCS instead of CTCSS... When a radio with DCS unkeys it sends a very brief code that alerts receiving radios that the transmission is ending and as a result (when correctly decoded by the recieving radio) it eliminates a squelch tail. Other than that, DCS acts about the same.

Murphy625

What trip are you making ? How far are you trying to get the signal to go? It sounds like the noise issue might be caused by a weak signal.

How do you have things set up? Is the crossband HT sitting on a kitchen table with the factory antenna, or is it located outdoors high above the ground? Are there any obstructions, (hills buildings)?

Yes, the noise is most certainly a weak signal due to terrain and distance..

13 miles between points A and B over hilly farmland and forest. Using Yaesu FT-60r (HT) and a Yaesu FT-2900 (Mobile) on VHF. Both antenna's are N9TAX. Mobile radio antenna is 50 feet up a tree and fed with Columbia RG8/U. HT antenna is about 23 feet up and fed with RG58. I just added another 10 feet to the HT antenna by purchasing an LMR-240 extension with SMA on both sides.

We're not using a crossband radio yet as I'm just getting a handle on everything else.. Baby steps right?

Not concerned with the mobile transmission as it has plenty of reserve power to make the trip.. but getting the HT to make the return trip at 5 watts is a bit of a problem.

I checked the SWR on both antenna's and they're very good at around 1.1

We got it and were able to communicate and completely understand each other, but the HT was just barely above the noise floor. I'm trying to figure out how that would affect us if we put a crossband radio in place of the mobile and I (the mobile operator) was to switch to an HT on UHF.

Murphy625

To answer your question about using DCS instead of CTCSS... When a radio with DCS unkeys it sends a very brief code that alerts receiving radios that the transmission is ending and as a result (when correctly decoded by the recieving radio) it eliminates a squelch tail. Other than that, DCS acts about the same.

Thank you!

chief21

Premium Subscriber
Summer - Western NC; Winter - Tampa Bay FL
Depending on the relative locations, you might have better luck using the "one-way" cross-band arrangement. Essentially, the remote radio talks to the cross-band repeater, which in turn talks to the fixed repeater. In the opposite direction, the fixed repeater talks directly to the remote radio (skipping the cross-band radio entirely. This also reduces the battery requirement for the cross-band radio, since it does not have to transmit in both directions.

KD2FIQ

I like using DCS when I have a cross band repeat set up. I also use DCS for simplex HT to HT when it's a small group or two operators.

W5GX

Please forgive the fisking - just addressing points as they come. :D

...When we did our test, the HT could barely make the trip at only 5 watts, but it did make it. When her voice was heard, there was static along with it as the signal was just barely above the background noise. Her words were clear, but her signal didn't completely drown out everything else.. If I turned the squelch up, I wouldn't hear her at all.

CTCSS or DCS will not help this. I will explain in the following.

CTCSS/DCS tones will not increase any RF signal. It only works after the RF has been received by the radio and processed. The radio will receive any RF signal that breaks the squelch, regardless of tone setting.

Try on your radio - turn the squelch all the way down, and you'll see the receive LED, or whatever signal your radio uses, and the noise will blast through the speaker. Now, turn on CTCSS or DCS, the tone isn't relevant. Turn the squelch up and down, you'll see the LED turn on around the same setting as without the tone, but you won't hear it. The radio actively mutes the speaker for RF carriers that do not have the right tone, but it still receives.

Any use of the word "private" in these tones is a complete misnomer (but a successful marketing gimmick) - your radio will receive the signals just fine, and you cannot block others from receiving your transmission. To wit, find any repeater frequency with a CTCSS/DCS transmit tone, where the repeater sends its own tone on the transmit. You can cycle the tone on or off and still receive the repeater.

The CTCSS is a subaudible tone, but still sent along the RF carrier. Its quality will be the same as the FM also on the same RF carrier. RF quality determines this.

Would there be any difference if DCS (Digital Coded Squelch) was used?...

Nope, just a digital version of a previously analog version. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.