RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners, Receivers and Related Equipment Forums > AOR Receivers

AOR Receivers - A forum for the discussion of all AOR scanning radios and receivers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-18-2014, 4:31 PM

Maybe its because AOR stands for Authority On (everything but trunking and phase II) Radio.
prcguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepsima1 View Post
I still don't understand why a company would go the distance on getting these pretty cool modulations for consumer use but not implement trunking?? That blows my mind.

Can somebody help me understand AOR's thinking??
Sponsored links
Old 09-18-2014, 4:53 PM

Hi JPsan where did u get the figure that this receiver is going to be under $1000..

Regards Lino.
Old 09-18-2014, 10:11 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmelof View Post
Hi JPsan where did u get the figure that this receiver is going to be under $1000..

Regards Lino.
I personally think that the price my guy quoted is his view on what he thinks. He works as purchaser for a telecom importer with phone equipment and doesn't deal with hobby stuff.

Seeing how AOR USA pricing goes I will venture a guess it maybe more like 1900.$

Who knows. The lack of trunking did not surprise me. To me if the radio is priced over 700$ that's to expensive regardless if it's the only radio that works with DMR & NXDN. Too broadband, don't need SSB mode. I see it having many issues as AOR radios usually have. Been burned by poor performing overpriced AOR radios in the past. If they import it people will do what it takes to buy em. Not me.

Wonder how long before it's really on the US market, too.
Old 09-24-2014, 8:42 PM

Maybe if they cut a few goodies out, it would have more room for the trunk technology? I-O-W, No usb,ssb, lsb. Auto attenuator-no. Clock?.. Freq range like the Pro 106.ctcss/dcs/nac.. As long as it trunks trbo,nexden, phase II, I could live without the usb,,,,clock, and freq range..I'd pay $700-- for that
Old 09-26-2014, 12:49 AM
Forums Veteran
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

There's way more engineering involved in adding trunking versus supporting voice decoding of a single digital carrier where it's just a matter of sorting out the bits. Yes, GRE and Uniden do it but look at what they lack plus the engineering has been carried over (their trunking is pretty barebones at that). AOR coming out with a receiver with these touted features plus trunking (which follows the standards, e.g., no proprietary trunking like Connect+) is a pipe dream. I'm in no way surprised. UniTrunker plus this is sufficient for me.

Provided the voice decodes accurately and they provide the digital signaling information my money is down for sub-$2k.
Sponsored links
Old 09-26-2014, 2:47 PM

You're right Wayne, we are asking alot from a small box.. Maybe split the difference, 1 receiver get's trbo, another get's nexden? However it get's created, the --trunking-- part would be GREATLY appreciated
Old 11-02-2014, 8:56 AM

Default AOR AR-DV1 Digital Voice Receiver

I would be one of the first buyers of the upcoming AR-DV1 Digital Voice Receiver if it supported P25 Phase 2, or even if the radio was initially released without Phase 2 support but AOR promised that it would be implemented in a future user-installable firmware update, even if the update wasn't free but had a small price tag - say, $50 or less - associated with it.

Given that the product is coming from AOR, which is not exactly a scanner company, I'm not too surprised that the unit lacks trucking capability, but it would be nice, in my opinion, if it had it.

As a wideband receiver, it would be nice if it had two antenna inputs instead of just the one that I see in the published photos. Of course, the photos may be of an early prototype model, so perhaps things may change by the release date.

The rear panel has a jack labeled AUX, but I haven't seen anything that documents its purpose.

As to the AR-DV1 being a domestic/consumer product, I haven't seen any official mention of a cellular-blocked version, so maybe it will turn out to be a strictly government/authorized user type of product and not made freely available in the US to an ordinary consumer purchaser.
Old 12-17-2014, 6:21 PM

Default DV1

What is the latest on this rig?
I run 4 AOR RX's and have convinced myself that I would like to add one of these to the shack if the cost doesn't blow it off the wish list. I've been lucky so far that my local monitoring targets have remained analog but it's only a matter of time.

Thanks for any new info that may be put there.

Jslo
Old 12-17-2014, 6:59 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I got a bad feeling on this one price wise... just saying AOR always been steep for me. I also wish they don't go with the white also. Sorry no new info here.
Old 12-17-2014, 7:14 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Earlier in this thread it was posted that release will be in 2015..So we will have to wait..Tik..Tik...Tik....

As for the price..All theres been so far is conjecture..Educated guesses and speculation..Im waiting to see..I love new toys..Hell,I live in a state with No Phase2...and I had 2 phase2 radios..an 800 and 436..Sold the 800 kept the 436...So Im eagerly awaiting the new addition to my radio stable!..As long as its within
reason..If no than Ill pick up a used one after another owner gets fatigued..

White...Its interesting..But white is better than Red,,or Blue...Ha...White looks ok,,different...but totally do-able...

So...Tik..Tik..Tik........We wait...
Old 12-17-2014, 7:41 PM

I'd be delighted to be able to post a precise North American release date and exact price, but unfortunately I've heard nothing since the initial announcement.

I would like to mention that Universal Radio, at least, mentions on their Web site with regard to the AR-DV1 that "This radio will support field firmware updating." I'm happy to see that, keeping in mind that the information is preliminary in nature and, I suppose, potentially subject to change.

Universal also uses the phrase "less cellular on U.S. consumer version", which implies that there will be two versions of the AR-DV1 and not just a "government/authorized user only version". This should be good news for many people in the U.S. who prefer not to order their radios from Canadian dealers.

Personally, I'd still like to see P25 Phase 2 decoding included.

Frank.
Old 12-17-2014, 8:37 PM

Default AOR this cool try's my patience.

Like the CR-1 (had to to have one) this seems to be a unique stand out and I hope it's priced fairly.

Have a couple of 8200's MkIII's (one of which found its way from England) in my shack as well as a old school 1000XLT and 3 years ago I added a AR8600 Mark 2.(love the 8600)

Since I'm not buying 2-3 radios a year, I can accept a high price tag if the performance is there. BUT........ If this thing is long of $1.2k - $1.5k I'm out.
I would stop and scratch my head at a $Kilo buck but we will see.
Another question is the sequels that AOR is famous for ...... The AOR 8000 and then the AOR 8200 and the 8200 mk 2 ...8200 Mk 3 Etc.........

I can just see it now ......Dv1.... Dv1 Mk1.... Dv1 Mk2....... Dv1 Mk5 custom in Black Etc..................

It's just that AOR puts out very cool products.

Guess Time will tell...
Old 12-17-2014, 8:57 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Let see if AOR will released an other "unfinished/beta" radio like the AR-Alpha or the AR5001D.... Plague with lots of bugs
Old 12-17-2014, 9:48 PM

Default Risk

True......Always a risk on a new release.......My CR1 lasted 1 week.....power supply went out but Don at CommRadio took super good care of me. They asked if I wanted a new radio or my repaired one. I opted new and he took one and burned it in for 36 hours before shipping it to me just be sure it was as good as it could be. It's ran flawless since I received it.
Old 12-18-2014, 3:45 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

With trunking would be great. Without, I can really do almost as much (if not the same) that I do with my tapped 536HP, 996XT, and IF out from WS-1080. I just program all the known NXDN and DMR voice channels in Los Angeles into coventional scan lists, then let DSD+ decode whatever comes up. Works pretty well, especially on systems like NXDN railroad channels in Los Angeles that are always busy and some DMR voice channels around 451 Mhz. For unknown channels, I run "searches" in likely frequency ranges and let DSD+ decode.
I don't really see that the AR-DV1 will do much more than that. Add trunking, and that would be different.
Steve AA6IO
Old 12-18-2014, 2:22 PM

Purely anecdotal but
back when i bought my first ARD 25 MT and others had revues that said that the box had tremendous capabilities that will be available VIA software upgrades....still waiting
A wise person would expect the same from this box IMHO
Old 01-18-2015, 6:16 AM

Look forward to seeing if trunking is supported in final version .
Old 01-19-2015, 11:17 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Not discounting AOR and their products and I realize there's another aspect to the hobby besides scanning and trunking wasn't a big thing in Europe but how do they still command such steep prices for their products? Especially since digital decoding is optional and no trunking in any product. For example, how can they command $4300 for the AR5001D?
Old 02-03-2015, 3:13 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Looking forward to the release as well.
Old 02-19-2015, 6:11 PM

At least they are a lot further ahead on digital than lame Uniden or Whistler who release a new 20year old P25 scanner and act like it is some great new addition.