AOR8200 case melting/sticky(?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

moab90245

The case on my AOR8200 is really sticky/melting. And I can't get it off. I tried a little rubbing alcohol on one side. And that did not seem to help. I only used it for a few months. Placed it in the pouch. And just took it out today to check on it. Appears to be a manufacturing defect. How can I fix this?

SCPD

QRT
Sounds like the resin is leaching out of the substrate. This happens sometimes. Basically it means the plastic's decomposing.

moab90245

Sounds like the resin is leaching out of the substrate. This happens sometimes. Basically it means the plastic's decomposing.

Is this a repair AOR is willing to make? And if so, how much is it? This sucks. I paid $800 for this scanner back in the day. You'd think the plastic would hold up.

MarkWestin

Which version of the AR8200 do you have? I have a MK3 and doesn't have this type of problem. I have read where some of the older versions had a "rubberized" case. Could that be what you have? If you have an older model I doubt that AOR will have any replacement cases left. Maybe something like Armor All could help.

Mark

SCPD

QRT
Is this a repair AOR is willing to make? And if so, how much is it? This sucks. I paid $800 for this scanner back in the day. You'd think the plastic would hold up.

Don't know, I've never used or had AOR. How old is the radio? You may try calling them and see if they will repair or replace it but they may only have a limited warranty period

I have Yaesu FT60s and one of Darth Vader's extra UV 5Rs that he gave me a couple years ago and none have had this problem. But I have had other plastic items self destruct like this.

moab90245

Which version of the AR8200 do you have? I have a MK3 and doesn't have this type of problem. I have read where some of the older versions had a "rubberized" case. Could that be what you have? If you have an older model I doubt that AOR will have any replacement cases left. Maybe something like Armor All could help.

Mark

It's just an original 8200. Not sure if that makes it an 8200 or a mk1 8200.

I tried rubbing alcohol. But that didn't seem to help. Someone on another forum said that worked for them. But they rubbed off the letters and numbers too.

FYI Mine is the green case version one. And yes it is kind of rubbery to the touch.

MarkWestin

I just did some looking around and confirmed that the AR8200 (original or later called Mk 1) had a green "rubberized" case. The Mk 2 and Mk 3 have black plastic (non rubberized) cases. There are some references to bad sensitivity and internal interference on early models. If Armor All doesn't help, (try a small area like the battery cover first) then I can only suggest contacting AOR to see if a replacement case may be available.

Mark

PS: I have had my Mk 3 for over 12 years so I can only guess how old a unit like yours might be.

DSC45

Premium Subscriber
Manufacturing Date

According to RIGPIX WEB SITE at <http://www.rigpix.com/aor/aor_ar8200.htm> the 8200 was manufactured from sometime between the 199? and discontinued in 1999. That is as close as I can find.

Andy3

I wonder if the case plastic is reacting to the pouch plastic (if it is plastic). When I worked in the TV/audio repair trade, it was a strict no-no to leave the PVC mains lead coiled up on top of the clear plastic cover of a record deck. If it was left like that for more than a few months, the clear plastic would 'melt' where the PVC had been in contact.

TDR-94

Any synthetic rubber over time will have the plasticizers eventually leach out and degrade. That's probably one reason why AOR didn't continue the rubberized casing on the next models.

There are plastic and rubber protectants that slow the process of degration by protecting them from UV,which is the main culprit,but they have to be applied when the rubber/plastic is new.

GOO GONE may help remove the tacky rubber. You would have to remove the case parts from the electronics ( you don't want the GOO GONE chemicals getting into any of the electronics ) and scrub the 'crap' out of the them to remove it. This would result in the rubber eventually being completely removed from the plastic surface.

This same issue happens to TV remotes all the time which have the rubberized coatings on them. They use cheap Chinese formulations that don't hold up or resist UV as well as higher quality rubber coatings. In the end though,all synthetic rubbers will eventually leach out the plasticizers and degrade.

radarshop

The case on my AOR8200 is really sticky/melting. And I can't get it off. I tried a little rubbing alcohol on one side. And that did not seem to help. I only used it for a few months. Placed it in the pouch. And just took it out today to check on it. Appears to be a manufacturing defect. How can I fix this?

Just wondering if anyone found either a solution to this problem or a source for a replacement case. I have the same problem.

WB2KTG

Been There, Done That...

The problem is with the 8200 original receiver with the green plastic case. The green plastic case appeared to be coated with a 3M Nextel textured paint, or some other manufacturer's equivalent product. I had the same 'sticky' situation. The only thing you can do safely is to take and old undershirt, or some other non-abrasive fabric, dampen it with a bit of alcohol (I used isopropyl, not rubbing alcohol, since rubbing alcohol frequently contains a bit of oil to keep your skin from drying out) and apply enough pressure while rubbing it that the green rubs off onto the cloth. Rotate and replace the cloth as necessary until the case is down to bare green plastic. It's not hard, but does take a number of hours. I used to do it while watching TV or something of similar intellectual import. When you're done, the surface looks slightly shiny, and is definitely dry and smooth to the touch. You'll probably want to replace that bit of foam rubber on the inside of the battery compartment while you're at it. The pressure sensitive adhesive securing the foam to the cover can be easily removed by dry rubbing it, in one direction, with your thumb. Probably take about twenty minutes of rubbing.

SCPD

QRT
I recently got a replacement Memorex (OEM Audiovox) "ITREK" "MI3000" amplifier for my radios that I use in my office, both had that same weird rubber-like coating on the back that went sticky before not very long. I used acetone to strip it and it only took maybe 20 minutes. The acetone did a really wonderful job and didn't really do anything to the plastic. Alcohol probably would have taken it off as well, but I didn't have any around then.

Should you decide to go the acetone route with the AOR then test it somewhere inconspicuous first, like inside the battery compartment/battery cover. I have no idea what sort of plastic the AOR housing is made of or how it would be affected (melted?).

Status
Not open for further replies.