RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners, Receivers and Related Equipment Forums > AOR Receivers

AOR Receivers - A forum for the discussion of all AOR scanning radios and receivers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-13-2016, 6:34 AM

Unhappy

Minus 1 you're observation is very true but I was asking the gentleman who said AOR would be doing a update to DV1 with Tetra is were did he get his information?
Does anyone know?
Sponsored links
Old 07-13-2016, 6:35 AM

Minus I like youre info about USAF bases but I'm afraid I live to far away from any USAF bases or salsbury plain I'm sure picking that up would be very buzzing
Old 07-13-2016, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radioshane View Post
Minus I like youre info about USAF bases but I'm afraid I live to far away from any USAF bases or salsbury plain I'm sure picking that up would be very buzzing
York should be within range of Menwith Hill. Try 405.95 or 406.325 (it's been known to change).
Old 07-16-2016, 1:38 AM

Quote:
Minus 1 you're observation is very true but I was asking the gentleman who said AOR would be doing a update to DV1 with Tetra is were did he get his information?
Does anyone know?
All the info I got were given by the official french AOR agent. He told ma that Tetra is still in development and can't confirm if is will be hardware of firmware but all details makes me to beleive it will be a harware.

But no more infos on what and how much!
Old 07-16-2016, 5:51 AM

Talking aor

Sounds exiting new hardware sounds like AOR are making a new radio?
Sponsored links
Old 07-17-2016, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Sounds exiting new hardware sounds like AOR are making a new radio?
No! I don't think so !
As AP5001 and IQ5001 are hardware options for AR6000, TETRA option could be also a PCB board to be placed Inside the DV1.
Old 07-17-2016, 12:03 PM

Default CONSEQUENCES

What remains to be seen is if AOR have the 'forward thinking' to price the board correctly, i.e. as low as is possible.

The AR-DV1, despite being currently unique, is an expensive 'toy' for the average user.

Its attractiveness with TETRA added could be immense, even though it will only be for un-encrypted transmissions, but ONLY if AOR get the cost right, particularly if it means having to send the radio away for a board to be fitted.

If it was my decision, I would supply the board at 'cost price', because the 'bigger picture' dictates that many, many more AR-DV1 sales could be expected.

If they take a short term view, and try to make lots of profit on the board itself, then that will just make the AR-DV1 even more unique, very 'want-able' and very much 'too expensive'.

I personally have little doubt that other manufacturers are trying hard to bring out a cheaper AR-DV1 rival.

Until that happens AOR have the edge, but lets hope they see that cannot last.

Their commercial plan would be best served by selling as many AR-DV1's as they can now, and that means immediate sensible and affordable pricing.

If they push the price up even further with the add on board, then sales of the radio will never really 'take off'.
Old 07-17-2016, 1:28 PM

The other side of the coin on this - I have noticed a trickle of AR-DV1's appearing 2nd hand on eBay at the rate of about 2 a week, in a few cases I have messaged the seller as to why they are selling, the replies tended to be along the lines of; 'too complicated' or 'did not do what I expected'.. So I am of the opinion that quite a few AR-DV1's were purchased in the UK because of the word DIGITAL and the understanding that digital means TETRA.. Now if AOR market the AR-DV1 as TETRA capable, a lot of new buyers are going to read that as DECRYPTED TETRA, if they then discover that the AR-DV1 will not decrypt the UK Police, Customs etc we might see some bargain priced 2nd hand AR-DV1's with TETRA fitted appearing on the auction sites..

Mike
WS1088 / TRX-1 / Whistler Q / UBCD3600XLT
Old 07-17-2016, 3:12 PM

Default TETRA QUESTION

I agree with all you said.

This is turning into a multi-sided coin, lol.

The fact that there is a commercially available radio capable of un-encrypted TETRA is likely to attract a lot of 'hopefuls'.

It does 'just' open the door enough for attempts at audio decryption via software, despite all the odds against it, so new buyers might hang on to their AR-DV1's for quite a time, waiting for that elusive program.

Not that it will matter much in the long run. If the rumours are correct and the UK Public Services are going down the line of using dedicated public mobile phone systems for all their radio communication.

Shame for all the areas where no communication will be possible, but what does that matter. It sounds like a great idea, and the demonstrations of the new system in London will prove amazingly effective.

I also heard a somewhere that some nomadic tribes are rumoured to exist north and south of Watford, but it is only a rumour. Anyway the UK has 100% mobile coverage, give or take 25% or more.
Old 07-18-2016, 11:17 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Tetra reception has been bandied about on the Uniden forums with regard to the 436 and 536 "flagship" radios for some time now. It seems that only 6 months ago, DMR was wishful thinking for Uniden enthusiasts, yet Uniden is now in the final phases of quite successfully beta testing DMR on those models as of last week. So Tetra -could- end up appearing on Uniden receivers before AOR gets a foothold.

I mention this only in light of the fact that while DMR had been working properly on the DV1 prior to AOR's last firmware update, something of a setback occurred when they had to withdraw the last firmware due to some unforeseen DMR issues. I'll feel a bit more comfortable when AOR finalizes the latest DMR firmware; nevertheless, all things taken in toto, there is nothing out there quite like the DV1.

Last edited by MStep; 07-18-2016 at 11:23 AM..
Old 08-25-2016, 6:40 AM

Smile Dreaded Tetra

Quote:
Originally Posted by MStep View Post
Tetra reception has been bandied about on the Uniden forums with regard to the 436 and 536 "flagship" radios for some time now. It seems that only 6 months ago, DMR was wishful thinking for Uniden enthusiasts, yet Uniden is now in the final phases of quite successfully beta testing DMR on those models as of last week. So Tetra -could- end up appearing on Uniden receivers before AOR gets a foothold.

I mention this only in light of the fact that while DMR had been working properly on the DV1 prior to AOR's last firmware update, something of a setback occurred when they had to withdraw the last firmware due to some unforeseen DMR issues. I'll feel a bit more comfortable when AOR finalizes the latest DMR firmware; nevertheless, all things taken in toto, there is nothing out there quite like the DV1.
Yipeeeeeeeeeee
It seems that the DV1 will finally be able to do Tetra Kris at Waters and Stanton E mailed me yesterday
The only trouble is I might have to get another DV1 has I won't be able to moniter storenet at the same time
Old 08-25-2016, 7:21 AM

Quote:
Yipeeeeeeeeeee
It seems that the DV1 will finally be able to do Tetra Kris at Waters and Stanton E mailed me yesterday
The only trouble is I might have to get another DV1 has I won't be able to moniter storenet at the same time
What was the substance of the mail from W&S if you don't mind me asking ?

Mike
Old 08-26-2016, 3:18 AM

We have been warned by AOR-France since August 19th and the new DV1/Tetra DMO was exhibited at Today this W.E.
Old 08-26-2016, 5:16 AM

I have been on aor website and there is nothing about it!
Old 08-26-2016, 8:46 AM

I guess AOR France was more reactive !
Old 09-05-2016, 5:50 AM

If this be a DMO version only ?
DMO is only near fields reception and I hope not because 98% of all uses in TMO.
In EU mainland 98% are very large and very powerfull strong TMO sites most still un-encrypted.
I pretty sure because i use Telive to listening these networks
Old 09-05-2016, 7:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamradionl View Post
If this be a DMO version only ?
DMO is only near fields reception and I hope not because 98% of all uses in TMO.
In EU mainland 98% are very large and very powerfull strong TMO sites most still un-encrypted.
I pretty sure because i use Telive to listening these networks
I guees, this is the first AOR DV1 decoding mode step ! Next one should be TMO......
Old 11-24-2016, 6:50 AM

Does anyone have any idea when TMO update will come out?
Old 11-24-2016, 6:56 AM

Unofficially
First months 2017......
with lots iffs and ors and maby
Old 11-24-2016, 6:56 AM

Don't think it is going to happen Shane..

Mike