AR-DV1 for UK and EU users

Status
Not open for further replies.

hamradionl

APCO + ALINCO are not used in UK or the whole EU region.
For UK and EU region 90% using Tetra, so i ask AOR if possible to make Tetra DMO or simplex available for UK en EU market.
A reply from AOR who writing not have the intention to make tetra available.

Members of this group possible to investigate to make digital modes available for UK and EU users.

DMR:
like used in D-CR mode setup a decoding key
for UK / EU like a input field for setting up the key in DMR.

radioshane

Hamradiol I asked Chris at waters and Stanton recently about if the DV1 will ever do tier 3 DMR and he said it would never
as far as I know people have decoded tetra unencrypted and got action on it
But according to Frederick at AOR Japan it will never decode it .
Surely you wouldn't think it would behond the realms of possibility?

radioshane

hanradiol Bill Robertson said in the radio user a Tetra scanner should be easily made
Do you agree with him?

F5HPE

A reply from AOR who writing not have the intention to make tetra available..

Hi, at my office we have been informed that AOR plans to made DV1 TETRA DMO and APCO Ph2 compatible.
For sure as the vocoder for Tetra and for APCO Ph2 are different from DMR, I guess it can be only a physical option.

But no details about the target price.

Cheers

marlbrook

Premium Subscriber
In Support

Hi, at my office we have been informed that AOR plans to made DV1 TETRA DMO and APCO Ph2 compatible.
For sure as the vocoder for Tetra and for APCO Ph2 are different from DMR, I guess it can be only a physical option.

Cheers
--------------------------------------

Some people might say your source is 100% accurate.

I cannot possibly comment.

Sworn to secrecy.

radioshane

so will we just need a firmware update to pick up evil tetra?
And it's strange chaps at waters and Stanton haven't told me about it

G7HID

I don't think Tetra radio reception will be welcomed in Europe by the powers that be until they move to another system.. Then Tetra terminals will appear on the second hand market for a UK pound ($1.5) and I will end up modifying them for the UHF ham band for the next couple of years :)

Mike

marlbrook

Premium Subscriber
Hi

I don't think Tetra radio reception will be welcomed in Europe by the powers that be until they move to another system.. Then Tetra terminals will appear on the second hand market for a UK pound ($1.5) and I will end up modifying them for the UHF ham band for the next couple of years :)

Mike

The UK are moving towards using the mobile phone networks once their TETRA contract runs out. Another disaster with many places having no mobile reception at all.

In any case, encrypted TETRA cannot be broken. To de-crypt it the receiver has to registered on the network itself. Evan a 'stolen' set can be quickly disconnected.

Un-encrypted TETRA is the best we can expect from a commercial receiver.

PERHAPS with a clear IF output from a receiver, the audio could be de-crypted, but as they change the codes frequently, good luck to the programmer who attempts it. No that he will need it. If he can crack those sorts of combinations he will be winning the Lottery twice a week, lol.

Last edited:

G7HID

De-crypting Tetra is only the tip of the iceberg, a huge amount of information can be gleaned by radio traffic analysis.

Mike

marlbrook

Premium Subscriber
QUITE

De-crypting Tetra is only the tip of the iceberg, a huge amount of information can be gleaned by radio traffic analysis.

Mike

But not much fun for the scanner user I imagine.

I always advocated that Public Service radio should be 'in the clear' most of the time, with just the odd exception.

After all we pay for it, and most people would have more confidence in what went on in the process.

Many 'deaf ears' fallen on.

Cheers

radioshane

F5HPE were did you get you're information about DV1 Tetra?
I can't find any information about it!.

MStep

Cheers

If by "physical option" you mean the addition of hardware to the DV1 receiver, I agree that if P25 Phase 2 were possible with firmware alone, it would likely have been introduced by now. I have postulated in many of my past posts that some of the digital modes would likely not be available solely via firmware updates.

That having been said, on the one hand, I am happy that AOR may be contemplating upgrading the DV1 to add modes that folks are asking for. But, of course, there are always two sides to a coin. What I do find a little disappointing is that AOR may not have given the DV1 the necessary forethought in design to allow for these updates via firmware. This in light of the fact that the DV1 is billed as an SDR (software defined radio).

The DV1 could also have been designed to allow the technically inclined end-user to plug in an optional board so that the receiver would not have to be out-of-service for long periods involved in shipping times. Several manufactures in the past have made this possible in their receivers.

Surprisingly, Uniden showed a great deal of forethought with their flagship 436 and 536 receivers. Well over a year after the radio was introduced, Uniden made Provoice available via firmware, and now is in the process of doing the same with DMR.

This is all conjecture at this point--- there has been no official word from Uniden (at least to the public) of what the future holds for the DV1. I "love" my DV1, and if I were interested in adding additional modes, it is hard to contemplate being without it for an extended period of time. And of course, for the consumer, "hardware" is much more costly than "firmware".

The next several months should be an interesting time for us DV1 enthusiasts.

Raccon

Mike
Not much I would think because if a TETRA system is encrypted it also encrypts the signaling, not just voice.

BC_Scan

I heard P25 clear & Encrypt on a trip to Italy a few years ago , in Rome and off the coast in the south, I realise what your saying is likely nearly all correct , but might t not be in all of EU, and what I dare say is ALINCO ??

radioshane

TETRA

Cheers

Were did you get you're information about this ?
Because Waters and Stanton aren't saying it's true about Tetra!

Minus1

Incorrect.
APCO is used in the UK by all USAFE bases, the NSA (allegedly) at RAF Menwith Hill, and by the British Army on Salisbury Plain.
I suspect it will thus also be used by USAFE bases in Germany, and elsewhere.

Minus1

Not much I would think because if a TETRA system is encrypted it also encrypts the signaling, not just voice.

I understand that some TETRA Airwave users do not use encryption (Highland Council Roads Dept and the Red Cross for example). Thus there must be some signalling that is not encrypted.

Status
Not open for further replies.