AR-DV1 new firmware V 1606B

Status
Not open for further replies.

G7HID

Just a quick heads up, AOR have just released a new firmware (1606B) for the AR-DV1...

AR-DV1 FIRMWARE UPDATE v1606B RELEASE NOTES

(c)2016 AOR, LTD.

June 30, 2016

This update will correct issues that some customers experienced, it also adds more functionality to the AR-DV1.
AOR is committed to the continuous improvement of its products and will post firmware updates periodically to further extend the capabilities of this receiver.

IMPORTANT!
This firmware update will clear all your channel, bank and configuration memory data. It is therefore advised to make a backup on SD card as described chapter 5-2 of the user manual, and to restore this data after the firmware update.

Following bugs have been removed:
-Sound would sometimes be chopped during DMR decoding.
-SCAN would sometimes not stop as set per DMR color code and P25 NAC code.
-The backlight would sometimes stay ON even though it was set to AUTO.

Mike

G7HID

First problem

Running the new firmware I tuned to the out put of my raspberry pi/DV4MINI UHF DMR setup, all I get is chop-chop-chop-chop-chop when active. Also tried DMR simplex - same problem :(

Mike

MStep

Running the new firmware I tuned to the out put of my raspberry pi/DV4MINI UHF DMR setup, all I get is chop-chop-chop-chop-chop when active. Also tried DMR simplex - same problem :(

Mike

I'll try the new firmware as soon as I get back home tonight--- I do an extensive amount of DMR conventional (non-trunked) listening, so I should be able to tell pretty quickly if something went amiss with the new firmware.

G7HID

Had to take the firmware back to the previous version as it unusable listening to simplex DMR, listening to various DMR repeaters is fine.
I send a short fault report to AOR Japan..

Mike

MStep

Where is the new version posted? I did not find it on the aorusa.com website... :confused:

ScanCHS

Looks like they took it down. There were some complaints (see posts above) that there were problems with it. It looks like it disappeared from the AOR America web site.

MStep

Had to take the firmware back to the previous version as it unusable listening to simplex DMR, listening to various DMR repeaters is fine.

Mike

Quite coincidentally (if you're following the Uniden threads), Uniden encountered the same issue with the beta release of DMR for the 436 and 536 units. I'm not sure if that has been corrected yet. It seems so amazing that in the case Uniden, they were so busy working out the different DMR "flavors" of various systems, that apparently no one grabbed a DMR handi-talkie, walked over to on of the receivers, and tried that on their beta release. AOR may have made the some misstep---- sometimes you work so hard on getting it just right, that you forget to test it with the most simple tools.

marlbrook

Premium Subscriber
Link to 1601b still on aor site

(Sorry 'typo' in title above)

A few red faces somewhere I guess.

I sympathise though, of course. Another case of some minor changes having totally unexpected 'knock-on' effects. 'Been there - got the 'T' shirt' .

G7HID

Have had a reply from AOR Japan, they have confirmed the problem, pulled the faulty firmware and are about to release a replacement.. :)

Mike

MStep

Have had a reply from AOR Japan, they have confirmed the problem, pulled the faulty firmware and are about to release a replacement.. :)

Mike

Would you be kind enough the post their reply here--- did they elaborate on the problem at all?

And incidentally Mike, your original catch of the problem was really great--- I guess you have a DMR portable and checked the firmware out as soon as you installed it? As Jeff (marlbrook) mentioned, if these things are not caught right away, there is sometimes a tendency for other things to go out of whack, or for a "snowball" effect to take place---- one mistake multiplied over 5 or 10 additional firmware releases and you're really in trouble.

Thanks again for that great catch Mike.

Last edited:

G7HID

Would you be kind enough the post their reply here--- did they elaborate on the problem at all?....

"Thank you for taking the time to write to us and our appologies for the defective firmware! We have been able to replicate the problem and will issue an update soon. In the meantime please use the previous firmware version."

And incidentally Mike, your original catch of the problem was really great--- I guess you have a DMR portable and checked the firmware out as soon as you installed it? As Jeff (marlbrook) mentioned, if these things are not caught right away, there is sometimes a tendency for other things to go out of whack, or for a "snowball" effect to take place---- one mistake multiplied over 5 or 10 additional firmware releases and you're really in trouble...

To be truthful I have a Raspberry pi running a DV4MINI on 434MHz UHF DMR 24Hrs a day and tuning to it soon noticed something was wrong, so I tried one of my DMR handies simplex to the AR-DV1 - same result. Not a catch, I sort of tripped over it :)

Mike

MStep

"Thank you for taking the time to write to us and our appologies for the defective firmware! We have been able to replicate the problem and will issue an update soon. In the meantime please use the previous firmware version."

To be truthful I have a Raspberry pi running a DV4MINI on 434MHz UHF DMR 24Hrs a day and tuning to it soon noticed something was wrong, so I tried one of my DMR handies simplex to the AR-DV1 - same result. Not a catch, I sort of tripped over it :)

Mike

Well regardless of how you got there, great catch. When the new update is issued, I'll be waiting for your comments before I install it.

G7HID

AOR sent me a revised copy of their AR-DV1 firmware (V1607A) a week ago, I replied the same day that the revised firmware rectified the simplex DMR problem, a couple of days later they thanked me and since then I have been waiting for them to do a public release of V1607A. This has not yet happened, so if anyone wants a copy - runs no problem and seems to have rectified some display problems - PM me..

Mike

MStep

AOR sent me a revised copy of their AR-DV1 firmware (V1607A) a week ago, I replied the same day that the revised firmware rectified the simplex DMR problem, a couple of days later they thanked me and since then I have been waiting for them to do a public release of V1607A. This has not yet happened, so if anyone wants a copy - runs no problem and seems to have rectified some display problems - PM me..

Mike

Thanks Mike--- would prefer to wait for the "official" release, since they may touch up one or two more things. But it's a good sign that they sent you their beta for testing--- incidentally, I'm curious as to what display problems were evident that it seems to have rectified?

marlbrook

Premium Subscriber
CURIOUS

I have to admit that I have lost a bit of faith since they had to withdraw firmware updates, and then the silence since.

Possibly more than most I understand how changing one thing can have very unexpected side effects in code that is apparently totally unrelated, so I do sympathise.

I knew about the updated version they sent to G7HID. I trust his judgement highly, and if he says it works OK then that is a good enough endorsement for me. He was kind enough to send me a copy of it that day.

However, like MStep I am going to sit it out and wait for the official release, and then some.

What concerns me is they managed to send out that 'working' update so quickly to someone, but either neglected to, or had reason to not release it publicly.

The 'bottom line' is, having lost that bit of faith, I am not likely to install any firmware update until I read here that people have tried it, and it does not have glaring errors.

That is of course a difficult decision, because of eSPYonARD, and to be fair so far I have always been able to 'roll back' any updates without a problem.

Nevertheless, I will no longer rush to install any firmware update.

MStep

I have to admit that I have lost a bit of faith since they had to withdraw firmware updates, and then the silence since.

Possibly more than most I understand how changing one thing can have very unexpected side effects in code that is apparently totally unrelated, so I do sympathise.

I knew about the updated version they sent to G7HID. I trust his judgement highly, and if he says it works OK then that is a good enough endorsement for me. He was kind enough to send me a copy of it that day.

However, like MStep I am going to sit it out and wait for the official release, and then some.

What concerns me is they managed to send out that 'working' update so quickly to someone, but either neglected to, or had reason to not release it publicly.

The 'bottom line' is, having lost that bit of faith, I am not likely to install any firmware update until I read here that people have tried it, and it does not have glaring errors.

That is of course a difficult decision, because of eSPYonARD, and to be fair so far I have always been able to 'roll back' any updates without a problem.

Nevertheless, I will no longer rush to install any firmware update.

Or as one might say about AOR's explanation, "The silence in deafening!"

G7HID

...Incidentally, I'm curious as to what display problems were evident that it seems to have rectified?
On earlier firmware versions IFBW, Mode and Step size sometimes showed incorrect values..

...they managed to send out that 'working' update so quickly to someone, but either neglected to, or had reason to not release it publicly.
I felt a bit guilty about having the new firmware and keeping it to myself...

Mike

NL12892

Mike
Hello Mike can your send a coppy a new firmware to my email

Thanks Peter

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.