eSPYonARD 'Q' - More uses for it

Status
Not open for further replies.

G7HID

The new 'Q' functions of eSPYonARD really require a new thread so people can add or discuss any other things they can do. There do seem to be a lot of possibilities.

I have found an interesting extra use for the 'Q' feature Q-Search, his feature will give notification of any lift conditions as they happen or if left unattended will give a record of signals heard.

To Use:

Set-up eSPY to search a ham VHF or UHF repeater band.

Lock out the repeaters that you can hear under normal conditions using the PASS feature.
Activate Search and Q-Search, a search list will appear. During normal conditions the list will remain empty.

Q-Search will sample any non locked out frequency found and if the frequency remains active for a couple of seconds it will appear as a timed stamped entry in the list including mode and bandwidth, if the activity continues Q-Search will wait a couple more seconds then the search will resume.

The clever bit is not the search but the filtering of signals that last longer than a couple of seconds as being a valid transmission and not just a click or a pop..

To test the filtering Q-Search the band with the lock outs (PASS) removed, you will find the expected signals logged to the list but not the odds and ends of interference you would normally find whilst searching.

Nice one Jeff (Q)
Wonder what you have planned next?

Attachments

• BxF96P2IMAIVCPy.jpg
    BxF96P2IMAIVCPy.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 802

marlbrook

Premium Subscriber
'Q' Branch

Thanks for starting the new thread. I think you are right, the 'Q' functions do merit somewhere for discussion just about them.

In my case their uses just continued to grow, and I must admit, your 'lift' idea never even occurred to me.

Thanks for mentioning the 'clever' bits, lol.

For me one of them I really like is that if 'Q-Search' is operating, and the same frequency is found the program does not add it again to the list, although it does update the time and date for the entry.

So your 'Q-Search' list never gets filled up with the same frequency over and over again, and as you say, the sampling features tries to make sure only real active frequencies are added.

Being able to save and scan just those frequencies, without needing to enter them in the radio's memories
unless you want to later, just adds to the Qusefulness, and within a short time you have lists available of the frequencies that are active and current where you are.

Just click on an entry, and it is instantly transferred to the radio.

The closest 'simple' description for the 'Q' concepts I can come up with, is that they are 'super-interactive POST IT' notes.

Of course their uses are much more comprehensive than that, but not complicated.

I do wonder if others will come up with other uses for 'Q'? There again there seem to be so many already, perhaps not.

P.S. My callsign ends OOH,
or
Double O Heaven
(Licensed to Thrill)

marlbrook

Premium Subscriber
HF CONTESTS

All these 'Q' - 'Q'uotes on the Forum are getting 'Q'uite 'Q'ute. I really like the "ThankQ" one, lol.

I may have touched on this before, but this is a slightly different slant to a 'Q' function.

Having had time to play radio for an hour or so, and in HF listening mode, it occurred to me how useful a 'Q-List' would be on a Contest day.

If conditions are good, several HF Bands may be bursting with signals, but in my case I am only interested in some of the English speaking 'Q'so's.

Every time I tune in to a side band 'Q'SO, on any band, I log press the PowerMate, and it is saved in the 'Q-List'. (right clicking the VFOA button does the same thing).

Then after a very short time I have lots of interesting frequencies listed.

I can click on any entry, and jump straight to it. No fiddly re-tuning up and down the band to try and find the same frequency again, or to get the sideband audio right.

One click and there it is in VFOZ on the radio and eSPYonARD.

After that, tune up and down again, find another, and a one-click save.

Should it be a frequency I already added, no problem. The list does not add another entry for it, just updates the date and time.

Takes all the guesswork and frustration out of it. What you want to listen to, when you want it.

I know the above can be said to be true for any frequencies and bands, when tuning for fun. 'The 'Q' functions are like that, but nevertheless for HF Contest tuning, a real plus.

G7HID

Have a good friend of mine in the shack this morning, he is seriously contemplating buying an AR-DV! and I am demonstrating mine to him. We have just read your bit on the use of Q Listing in contests and him being a keen contester saw the use straight away... Jeff I think AOR owe you commission on the sale of an AR-DV1..

Mike

marlbrook

Premium Subscriber
ThankQ

It is nice to know that.

Sometimes when you are standing so close to something it can be difficult to know whether your perspective is right.

The 'Q' functions are like that, and some.

Over and over again I try one, and think can that simple idea really be as fantastically useful as that, and within a few minutes discover another use for it, and the same idea strikes again.

The 'POST IT NOTE' analogy is quite near the mark I reckon.

The first time I saw one, I thought 'Q'ute, but it will never catch on.

A million trees, and 50 billion Post-It notes later and perhaps that reaction was not 'Q'uite correct, lol.

Of course a totally interactive Post-It note up on the screen next to eSPYonARD is in a different league again.

I know I have said this before, but very occasionally something becomes much larger than the sum of its parts.

Is 'Q' like that .... a 'Q'uestion to 'Q'uote for others to 'Q'uery?

marlbrook

Premium Subscriber
New Use - Guinness Book Of Records

The UK SCANNING DIRECTORY 2009 COMPLETE PROMA DATABASE (with Modes) in eSPYonARD, and being scanned by the AR-DV1

Twenty four thousand nine hundred and thirty five lines. How long did that take?

From the time I brought the web-page up to the time the Q-DB list was ready took just over 2 minutes.

8 pages cut and pasted into one Notepad file. 1.7mb in size, with no modifications needed whatsoever.

I suppose someone, somewhere can program 12,000 frequencies a minute, Oh yes, its me lol

marlbrook

Premium Subscriber
TIME

Doing final checks and any tidying needed at the moment.

2 to 3 days I estimate.

marlbrook

Premium Subscriber
Favourite channels

Early on in its development I added a 'FAV' button to the program, as some of you will know.

Basically it let you store some favourite frequencies, and recall them, singly.

Personally I had not used it for a few weeks. I just had the three local broadcast W-FM channels there.

This morning, I had a quick tune around HF, and found it very quiet, so went to select my favourite BBC channel, when I realised that 'Q-DB' has made that button and function all but redundant.

Most of us have favourite channels, and with 'Q-DB' you can quickly create a list of all of them. I created a list of all the W-FM broadcast FM channels available here in about a minute.

Simple as that. Couple of clicks and there is the list in front of me. Double click on any line and up pops the channel on the AR-DV1, and each line having as long a description as I wanted.

Of course the program lets you create any type of favourite list you want, and in the next version due soon, store and select them in sub-folders you name.

If your list contains frequencies that all use the same mode, in the next version you will not even have to add the mode to each line. Just select the mode you want from a drop down list, and any line you click will use that as the default.

So sub-folders named 'FM Broadcast', 'AM Broadcast', ''2M', "70cm'. 'Taxis', 'Fire', 'Police' etc. Just create a list where each line contains the frequency, mode (if you need to enter it), and any length of description you want, and those favourite frequencies become instantly available to suit you mood. Depending on the sort of list you create you can scan them too.

Any favourite frequency, anywhere within the AR-DV1's range.

'Q-DB' uses just goes on and on, whether you want favourite lists, or any type for Amateur, Personal, or Professional use.

Just to be clear, I am taking about how easy it is to create your own lists of favourites. 'Q-DB''s major breakthrough remains the fact you can select almost any list, from almost any source, and have the whole list of frequencies ready for use in the radio in seconds.

All without taking up a single dedicated memory channel in the receiver, and offering virtually unlimited memory capability to the AR-DV1.

Faramir

Premium Subscriber
My experience with the almighty 'Q'

If anyone has any doubts about the claims made for the new 'Q' additions, forget them. They are certainly not overstated. 'Q' expands the usability of my AR-DV1 receiver drastically! At home, 'Q' enables monitoring a single frequency unguarded, and records and logs any activity. Also it makes it possible to record - with logging data - a memory- or search bank. 'Q' also gives the receiver almost unlimited, instantly accessible memories, all with no typing involved, or uploading information to the AR-DV1. The great beauty of the software comes in handy when searching! With 'Q', during a search exactly one single mouseclick is enough to store the information and frequency into a seperate file and sorts it. Double entries are prevented so no cluttering exists. When roaming at the shortwave bands this is extremely valuable! Just as handy is the 'pass' option to skip a specific frequency during these searches. It makes pen and paper redundant when searching. On screen the lists are fully interactive. Just click on a line, and the frequency is there on the AR-DV1, and also with a mouse click you can delete any line, or all of them, in addition to other useful things. But then when you want to go mobile or visit another location another option shows it value. No need to save all information and program the frequencies from the visited location. Just put the required information such as frequecies directly from websites into the program and the program controls the receiver in scanning etc. Imagine going to visit Schiphol Airport. Look up the most recent frequencies, cut and paste them into the program and voila, ready for action! After returning home no need to restore the 'base-data' back to the receiver but just reconnect it and you're ready to go! These functionalities comes with the paid version only but I just won't be using the receiver without it! This program gives the receiver a very well engineered computer control capability but it expands the ease to learn, monitor, explore and change frequencies on the fly with just a couple of mouse clicks. I think AOR should supply this wonderful software with every unit they sell, it's that good! The AR-DV1 is a very good receiver as it stands, but with eSPYonARD and 'Q' it amazing.

marlbrook

Premium Subscriber
Storing interesting frequencies during a SEARCH

'deiraq' contacted me a couple of days ago asking if there was any way to 'pause/hold' the radio as it searched between two frequencies, and asked if it could be done using software control.

I could see how this might be useful, but eSPYonARD already has a 'Q' function that went further, although I had not thought about it being used for that purpose specifically.

If the radio is 'searching', and stops on an interesting frequency, just 'right-click' on the 'VFO-A' button.

An inter-active 'Q' list appears, with details of the frequency automatically added.

When the search continues, as it will, you can repeat that for any number of frequencies.

Just by clicking the mouse on any line in the list, the frequency (and mode) are sent to the radio and eSPYonARD display, so you can jump back to any of them, almost instantly. Before you start using the 'Q' list to go back to any frequencies, just stop the radio search first by switching to a VFO. It is a firmware thing.

I had often used the inter-active list during HF Contest days for example, whilst tuning in steps, not a search. I could surf a Band, and immediately store frequencies I would like to be able to go back to with a single mouse click.

The inter-active list can also be set to scan the stored frequencies it has added.

If you want to, and have not already, there are a couple of short .pdf files that will give you a good idea of the 'Q' functions at www.espyonard.com

When you read them, some of you will probably think the things 'Q' is alleged to do are impossible, lol.

You can find out by downloading the free trial of course, and if you discover any new uses for 'Q' do not forget to post the on this thread.

Just one of the unique 'Q' features that are available of course, but another useful tool for the scanning enthusiast. 'Q' really does widen the scope of the AR-DV1 a lot., not the least of which is the ability to store unlimited frequencies in simple text files, without having to program them into the radio's memories.

In case you are wondering, 'Q' is really easy to use. It does lots of very complicated things, all in the background, but getting them to work for you is as simple as a few mouse clicks.

Last edited:

deiraq

As Jeff mentions above I hadn't realised before just what 'Q' can do with the eSPYonARD software. I wanted to pause the AR-DV1 when I found an interesting frequency. So I asked if this was possible. Better than 24/7 service - within hours he had replied that Q can aready achieve this - right click on VFO-A and a window pops up with the frequency listed. This makes the radio so much more useful for me as I can add to that list and then review it later. eSPYonARD was a very good control program before 'Q', but now takes to a new level. Only the AR-DV1 can do it because 'Q', adds extended capabilities for Memory/Frequency management and aquisition. Thank you!

G7HID

Have emailed Jeff on the odd occasion with "can you get eSPY to do so and so ?" or "would it be possible Jeff ?" to be gently told it does it already - right click such and such button ... :)

Mike

marlbrook

Premium Subscriber
As Jeff mentions above I hadn't realised before just what 'Q' can do with the eSPYonARD software. I wanted to pause the AR-DV1 when I found an interesting frequency. So I asked if this was possible. Better than 24/7 service - within hours he had replied that Q can aready achieve this - right click on VFO-A and a window pops up with the frequency listed. This makes the radio so much more useful for me as I can add to that list and then review it later. eSPYonARD was a very good control program before 'Q', but now takes to a new level. Only the AR-DV1 can do it because 'Q', adds extended capabilities for Memory/Frequency management and aquisition. Thank you!

Thanks deiraq. As I mentioned earlier, but just to make it clear, right clicking on the VFO-A button not only produces a list with the frequency and other details, but the list it creates is totally inter-active. Each frequency line can be clicked on with the mouse, and it transfers those details to the radio for immediate monitoring.

Thanks to Mike as well. As a Radio Amateur I know the highest unwritten rule is 'Don't read the ****** Manual' (expletives deleted). To keep eSPYonARD's interface as simple as possible, lots of the buttons have dual functions, depending on a left or right mouse click.

Although if you hover over any button with the mouse pointer it gives a short description explaining that, however reading the Manual is important if anyone wants to get full use of all the many and varied functions available.

Just as you mentioned Mike, I do get a few emails asking if I can provide something new, and usually they have already been added, and explained in the Manual, lol.

It will be fairly clear to a few people that there have been recent posts with a covert hidden Agenda gently trying to undermine the program. I hope that ceases and those concerned realise it is counter productive. Only time will tell. Just as I have never tried to rubbish the 'other program', I will not do that regarding any new software that becomes available. I have always been of the opinion that people should use the free 'trials' first, and be allowed to make up their own minds. The only 'tricks' I use are ones that improve the software in the way it deals with firmware problems. 'Dirty' tricks are not on my Agenda.

From time to time I have mentioned just how much I appreciate the support I have had from Forum Members. I have always been committed to providing you with the best service and software possible.

Nevertheless, I will say it again..... a big and truly appreciated THANKS

Last edited:

marlbrook

Premium Subscriber
'Q' can automatically create a list during a Search

deiraq

I forgot to mention, 'Q' can also automatically create entries in an inter-active list when a search is in progress, and a frequency opens.

There is also a similar function in PRO-TOOLS, which can also record the audio from a frequency during a Search, to an interactive-list. If you have chosen to enable that, clicking on the appropriate line will play the audio associated with it. This was really designed for 'professional' unattended surveillance during a search.

The 'Q' function is a different and definitely quicker and very easy way of doing it, unless anyone also needs to record the audio saved on the SD Card.

1. RIGHT click on the A-STR / 'Q' BUTTON

2. In the 'Q-LIST window, click the 'SEARCH AUTO' button

3. The MAIN display now shows (in yellow) 'Q-SEARCH'
A 'Q-SEARCH' window opens.
On the right it shows the last results which are automatically saved.
If you want to clear this click 'DELETE ARCHIVE' button

4. Start a normal Search from the Main window button.

5. If the radio stops on a frequency, the details automatically transfer to the 'Q-SEARCH' window
which is inter-active as before. i.e. clicking an a line transfers the frequency to the radio.

6. The list creation process is also 'clever'. If it stops on the same frequency again as the Search repeats,
it does not create another entry, but does update the date and time that it was 'last heard'.

7. To stop the 'Search Auto' just click its button again.

8. Of course this means you can be away from the radio while a search is in progress, with no need to manually do a line creation by right clicking on the VFO-A button.

9. This is really only for non-usb or cw signals, as the radio will not open its squelch correctly for those things.

10. It is always best to switch to a VFO and stop any search in progress before selecting a frequency in the created list.

Faramir

Premium Subscriber
Q-DB Power

I received an email from someone asking if it was possible to transfer the contents of a Memory Bank in the Radio to a 'Q-DB' list.

I have looked into this, and can now see several important benefits. The re-coding was extensive, but it is all working and really easy from the User's point of view.

The main benefits of transferring simple Memory Channels to a 'Q-DB' list is that it will free many of the radio's 'limited' Memories, which can then be used for more complex Memory items, i.e. those where you need to store Digital Modes, Noise Reduction, Tone Squelch settings etc.

The 'Q-DB' Memory Banks are limited only to the size of how many your P.C. can store, and also have the advantage of being saved and accessed under Sub-Folder and List Names of your choosing.

You can quickly transfer any 'Q-DB' frequency to the radio, using mouse clicks, and SCAN them too. Also because they are stored as simple text files you can add, modify or delete any entry, or expand the descriptions shown for each entry.

Another benefit is that you can create new lists, by cutting and pasting details from any 'Q-DB' memory list into a new Notepad file, in effect 'linking' them, but ensuring only the frequencies you require are included.

The result is I am now in the process of testing 005B, with the above and a few extra improvements added.

I hope to upload it within a few days.

This 'new' function is a considerable step forward as it lets you free up many dedicated radio Memory Channels, and converts them so you can also utilise them with the power of 'Q'.

The ability to make backups of 'Q-DB' files on your P.C. or to an external device is an added bonus.

This is great! This should enable me to free quite a few banks (memory is limited and precious) and with the digital stuff on the rise traditional frequencies would still be available from those lists. Kind of 'Downwards compatible' :) Nice!

Do I understand correctly that banks - or part of banks- can be combined in a new list?
I hope so because that would be huge!! Combining pieces of lists would also make 'scenario' monitoring possible, how I welcome that! That would mean UNLIMITED virtual banks!
Can't wait to get my hands on that one!

marlbrook

Premium Subscriber
'Q' can do that too

Do I understand correctly that banks - or part of banks- can be combined in a new list? I hope so because that would be huge!! Combining pieces of lists would also make 'scenario' monitoring possible said:
In the pending 005B update, 'Q' will download and convert any AR-DV1 Memory Bank into a 'Q'-DB' file.

Full Banks, or parts of them can be combined into a new list very quickly if you want to do that.

It is another real plus for 'Q' that all the frequency files it creates are simple text files. They are so small you can store hundreds if not thousands of them if you want, and modify, edit, add or remove lines and make backups simply.

That means you can just open up an empty Notepad, copy and paste any lines you want into the new text file, and save it. Of course the ability to choose your own Sub-Folder and List Names is an extra bonus, as that makes the files you want really easy to find and import into 'Q-DB'. Without that storing so many Memory Banks would be a nightmare, lol.

Bring up the 'Q-DB' list and by double clicking on any line the frequency is transferred to the Radio, or just press the SCAN button and you can see each frequency in the whole list being scanned into the radio sequentially, line by line.

As the program selects a new frequency during a 'Q' Scan, that line is highlighted so easy to identify what is happening. You can even elect to make that list 'larger' by clicking the 'DB+' button for even easier reading, and select fast or slow scan speeds too.

As you say UNLIMITED ('Q') Memory Banks, with an unlimited number of frequencies in them, and much longer TAGS are possible too, unlike the restrictions applied by the Radio.

Well not quite 'unlimited Banks, but they are only limited by the amount of Hard Disk space you have, and you can store an awful lot of 'Q' text files on a P.C., as they take up little space.

I have worked very hard to make the 'Q' functions simple to use. The coding is immensely complex, but using 'Q' is just a matter of a few mouse clicks, as it should be in any program.

The AR--DV1 has a lot of functionality, but 'Q' really does raise the Radio to a new dimension, well beyond any other Radio or Scanner when it comes to finding and importing new frequencies, and their management.

Of course if people do not try 'Q' for themselves they will never know.

Thanks for your interest.

Faramir

Premium Subscriber
In the pending 005B update, 'Q' will download and convert any AR-DV1 Memory Bank into a 'Q'-DB' file.

Full Banks, or parts of them can be combined into a new list very quickly if you want to do that.

It is another real plus for 'Q' that all the frequency files it creates are simple text files. They are so small you can store hundreds if not thousands of them if you want, and modify, edit, add or remove lines and make backups simply.

That means you can just open up an empty Notepad, copy and paste any lines you want into the new text file, and save it. Of course the ability to choose your own Sub-Folder and List Names is an extra bonus, as that makes the files you want really easy to find and import into 'Q-DB'. Without that storing so many Memory Banks would be a nightmare, lol.

Bring up the 'Q-DB' list and by double clicking on any line the frequency is transferred to the Radio, or just press the SCAN button and you can see each frequency in the whole list being scanned into the radio sequentially, line by line.

As the program selects a new frequency during a 'Q' Scan, that line is highlighted so easy to identify what is happening. You can even elect to make that list 'larger' by clicking the 'DB+' button for even easier reading, and select fast or slow scan speeds too.

As you say UNLIMITED ('Q') Memory Banks, with an unlimited number of frequencies in them, and much longer TAGS are possible too, unlike the restrictions applied by the Radio.

Well not quite 'unlimited Banks, but they are only limited by the amount of Hard Disk space you have, and you can store an awful lot of 'Q' text files on a P.C., as they take up little space.

I have worked very hard to make the 'Q' functions simple to use. The coding is immensely complex, but using 'Q' is just a matter of a few mouse clicks, as it should be in any program.

The AR--DV1 has a lot of functionality, but 'Q' really does raise the Radio to a new dimension, well beyond any other Radio or Scanner when it comes to finding and importing new frequencies, and their management.

Of course if people do not try 'Q' for themselves they will never know.

Thanks for your interest.

Thanks for the quick answer! It is even better than I thought :)
Simple text files, longer tags, scan speed adjustment...
I've got only one question left: WHEN :)

We wants it, precious yes!

theoldcop

Premium Subscriber
Do I understand correctly that banks - or part of banks- can be combined in a new list?
I hope so because that would be huge!! Combining pieces of lists would also make 'scenario' monitoring possible, how I welcome that! That would mean UNLIMITED virtual banks!
Can't wait to get my hands on that one![/QUOTE]

'Scenario' monitoring was one of the best features of Probe (DOS) software. If I heard activity on a fire dispatch frequency, I could press a predetermined key and immediately start scanning the various public safety freqs. that might be active as a result, i.e. police, arson, rescue, public utilities etc. specific to that area.

Faramir

Premium Subscriber
'Scenario' monitoring was one of the best features of Probe (DOS) software. If I heard activity on a fire dispatch frequency, I could press a predetermined key and immediately start scanning the various public safety freqs. that might be active as a result, i.e. police, arson, rescue, public utilities etc. specific to that area.

Is that Probe software still around? Would be a nice trip down memory lane again. Not all good old DOS programs got a decent Windows age alternative. But exactly what you describe is what I have in mind. I can't wait to get my hands on the new version and try it out. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.