Buzzing / "Motorboating" On AOR DV1

Status
Not open for further replies.

MStep

Early on in the DV1's life, several folks complained about buzzing (sometimes called "Motorboating"), especially during scan mode when the radio would stop on a digitally programmed frequency.

The buzzing sound was supposed to be addressed in firmware version 1512D, and for a while, it seemed that the problem had indeed stopped. But after firmware release 1602A (the release before the most current 1607B), the problem seemed to crop up again, at first intermittently, and now more pronounced.

I was hoping somehow the 1607B would somehow address this issue along with the others that were mentioned, but it did not. I did try doing a FULL RESET of the radio, but the problem is still occurring.

Before I attempt to revert back to 1512D, I was wondering if anyone else is having a problem with this buzzing/motorboating issue reappearing with any of the firmware releases from 1602A and going forward. Once again, this is most prevalent while scanning mixes of analog and digital channels.

Thank you for your input.

MStep

Any chance of recording an example and uploading it in a zip file please ?

Mike

Yes, I will do that--- I won't be back at my place for a day or two, so it will take a bit. I will also share it with AOR to see if they have any ideas.

dudekindjack

I've noticed it will motorboat really bad on a analog channels when it decides to do the motorboating, until a digital frequency starts talking, then that seems to fix the motorboat problem until it decides it wants to do it again.

MStep

I've noticed it will motorboat really bad on a analog channels when it decides to do the motorboating, until a digital frequency starts talking, then that seems to fix the motorboat problem until it decides it wants to do it again.

I made a recording, but it was too large to post here, so I might post if on YouTube in a day or two. This was an issue with several of the DV1's prior to the release of firmware version 1512D. In fact, one of the first things that was listed in the 1512D posting from AOR was the correction of:

"“Buzzing” sound and receiver freeze upon certain MODE and ON/OFF configurations."

I have not seen the receiver freeze and 1512D did seem to mitigate the buzzing problem, but after 1601A the problem seemed to reappear, although not as frequently. And the latest 1607B did nothing to bring it back to a tolerable level. I will conduct more testing and post more information.

Change of topic---- just a mention, that as far as I am concerned, the "jury is still out" on improvement of DMR reception after 1607B, but I will follow up in that thread in a few minutes.

G7HID

I must admit to hearing nothing like that on my AR-DV1..
On that sample can you list the frequencies and modes that were being scanned and the order they are being scanned, so I can try and simulate your listening parameters please ?

Mike

Last edited:

MStep

Could the "motorboating" be poor decoupling, filtering caps, in the audio stage?

That's one of the things we are trying to determine. Was happening with more DV1's prior to firmware 1512D. That version of the firmware appeared to mitigate the issue, but the problem has slowly been creeping back with subsequent firmware releases.

I want to conduct more tests, and AOR has also been made aware of the issue. Fortunately, I was able to get that good sample up on YouTube. This is a sporadic problem that does not occur all the time, nor within the same grouping of frequencies. So it could also be heat related.

Right now I'd like to know if anyone else is experiencing anything similar to this while scanning mixed banks of digital and analog signals.

MStep

I must admit to hearing nothing like that on my AR-DV1..
On that sample can you list the frequencies and modes that were being scanned and the order they are being scanned, so I can try and simulate your listening parameters please ?

Mike

Let me do more testing since this is random and not always within the same banks of channels. Within a day or two, I will figure out a way to send you the Bank involved in this particular test. I just have to get back to my radio and my own computer.

marlbrook

Premium Subscriber
YES

I have had this effect a few times.

It occurred in all previous firmware releases, but not as yet in the latest one. That is not significant, as it is very rare and could still be 'lurking'.

It is one of those things I describe in eSPYonARD's instructions as the AR-DV1 having a nervous breakdown.

I can find no pattern to it, or whether it is peculiar to analogue or digital modes.

The cure has always been to unplug the power, wait for a few seconds, and re-connect.

MStep

I have had this effect a few times.

It occurred in all previous firmware releases, but not as yet in the latest one. That is not significant, as it is very rare and could still be 'lurking'.

It is one of those things I describe in eSPYonARD's instructions as the AR-DV1 having a nervous breakdown.

I can find no pattern to it, or whether it is peculiar to analogue or digital modes.

The cure has always been to unplug the power, wait for a few seconds, and re-connect.
'

"Lurking" is an interesting word to use Jeff. The more digital stuff you monitor, the more the problem may occur, or so it appears.

MStep

Here's Another Important Observation

The buzzing seems to occur quite a bit when a signal is present and the radio is in "AUTO" mode.

On my radio, there are hundreds of frequencies which are in "AUTO" mode So this might be more prevalent on my radio than on radios whose channels include less AUTO moded channels.

There are two reasons why so many of my channels are programmed this way:

a) Auto-mode sounds better with FM signals than FM mode does, probably because the filter is wider in order to "listen" for digital signals.

b) Many of the ham repeaters that I monitor are multi-mode and can accommodate both digital and analog signals. Even some of the public safety services I monitor are "mixed mode", so must be programmed in AUTO mode to facilitate reception. Sometime this week, I am going to revert to 1512D to see if that eliminates most of the problem.

My understanding is that these firmware updates should all have been "cumulative", but as anyone who has worked with firmware or software knows, one errant bit can really cause problems.

The engineers in Japan have been made aware, and are investigating the issue.

gn32772

Premium Subscriber
Hi. I'm still using 1512D, and i've also been hearing the buzzing/motorboating, very similar to mstep's recording. It only happens about once every 30 minutes of listening, and only when scanning, not searching.

I do have a mix of analog and digital freqs in each scan bank, but i think it only makes the sound when it stops on analog freqs. Hope this helps.

George

MStep

Hi. I'm still using 1512D, and i've also been hearing the buzzing/motorboating, very similar to mstep's recording. It only happens about once every 30 minutes of listening, and only when scanning, not searching.

I do have a mix of analog and digital freqs in each scan bank, but i think it only makes the sound when it stops on analog freqs. Hope this helps.

George

Thanks so much for your input. Let's hope that the engineers at AOR's facilities in Japan can some up with the cause and a viable solution.

As I have mentioned several time, prior to firmware 1512D, I had heard many more complaints regarding the buzzing/motorboating issue. The installation of 1512D seemed to mitigate the problem most of the time--- like you, with the installation of 1512D, it would crop up only occasionally.

The installation of firmware upgrades following 1512D seemed to bring the problem back, slowly at first, but with each subsequent firmware, the problem grew worse and worse. Finally, with 1607B, the issue seems to be back with a vengeance.

It would seem to happen most often when folks are doing scans of channels of mixed analog and digital modes. I've had a hard time nailing it down any better than that. I will continue to experiment and also report back any other information that I am able to attain from AOR.

MStep

Update On Buzzing / Motorboating

To AOR's credit, once I reported the problem that I was having with my receiver, it only took them a day or two to get back to me with a test program to run on my DV1.

Now perhaps coincidentally (you know how you always feel better when you get to the doctor's office), the buzzing/motor boating issue seems to have mitigated by itself, the same day the program arrived from AOR via email! So I have not been able to run the test program to provide them with then necessary files for AOR to further investigate the situation.

Nevertheless, I am keeping a close ear on the DV1 to see if the problem resumes. As soon as it does, the necessary files will be recorded and sent off to AOR for analysis. I fully expect that now that I have announced that the problem is gone, it will likely start up again--- you know how that goes !!!

I'll keep the group posted.

marlbrook

Premium Subscriber
AOR

I know it is one of those faults that is virtually impossible to predict.

I doubt if it has gone away permanently.

Cheers

radioshane

What is it called when it decodes a DMR transmission and the data noise witch starts at the beginning of the transmission keeps making the noise even when the people are talking?

Status
Not open for further replies.