AOR PROBLEMS

Status
Not open for further replies.

radioshane

I have a DV1 set and yesterday the squelch woudn't work before that the signal meter at the bottom woudn''t work.
And after the squelch propblem the volume was playing up does anyone know what could be wrong with it?

marlbrook

Premium Subscriber
Final Resort

I have a DV1 set and yesterday the squelch woudn't work before that the signal meter at the bottom woudn''t work.
And after the squelch propblem the volume was playing up does anyone know what could be wrong with it?

If all else fails do a full reset. Before you do, backup all the things you can, Memories etc, as they will be wiped from the Radio (Not the backups on the SD Card so they can be restored afterwards). Just in case, after backing up to the SD Card, I would switch the DV1 off, remove the Card, put into a P.C. and save all the contents. You can put it back into the radio then before doing the reset.

How to do backups, what can be backed up, and how to do a full reset is explained in the Manual.

Very occasionally the AR-DV1 can have a 'nervous breakdown' which can cause very odd things to happen, so it is not necessarily a hardware failure issue.

Do NOT restore any of the backups yet. Try the radio and see if all is working correctly. If so, the Manual explains how to get your settings back, from the backups you created.

If that does not fix it, then sorry to say it will probably have to be physically repaired.

Good luck

radioshane

memories wouldn't take long as I don't have any channels in it only search banks and all my recorded action is on my memory card Is it only digital radios that do these eff ups?
If so its a right pain

marlbrook

Premium Subscriber
RESET

Thought the only settings I would need would be firmware settings?.

What you feel you want to backup is your decision of course. If you do a full copy of your SD Card on a P.C. whatever firmware files you have will be secured, as well as any other backup you created before the full reset.

As far as I know a full-reset will not take you back to the original firmware, but will keep the latest firmware in place.

An alternative is to re-load the latest firmware, and try that first.

If after the full reset the latest firmware does not show on the radio, then you will need to re-install it.

Cheers

MStep

Any luck after doing those resets?

My general course of action for this type of problem would be, in this order:

1- Partial reset

2- Full reset

3- Full reset with several power disconnects/reconnects.

Have you made any progress radioshane? As suggested, after rebooting the radio, try programming in one or two frequencies by hand before re-inserting the SD card.

marlbrook

Premium Subscriber
DANGER

Any luck after doing those resets?

My general course of action for this type of problem would be, in this order:

1- Partial reset

2- Full reset

3- Full reset with several power disconnects/reconnects.

Have you made any progress radioshane? As suggested, after rebooting the radio, try programming in one or two frequencies by hand before re-inserting the SD card.

I know you did not mean it this way but

3- Full reset with several power disconnects/reconnects

could be read literally, and the power should not be disconnected DURING the 'reset' process.

radioshane

Good afternnon marlbrook I turned the set of a few times on Saturday night and thank god touch would its buzzing again yippee.
Although many many thanks for you're help

MStep

I know you did not mean it this way but

3- Full reset with several power disconnects/reconnects

could be read literally, and the power should not be disconnected DURING the 'reset' process.

Perhaps I did not word it as correctly as I could have. Thanks for pointing that out Jeff. What I meant to say is that once you have gone through all the reset procedures, and providing that they did not work, simply turn the radio off and disconnect the power from the mains for 3- 5 minutes, then reconnect power and turn the radio back on. That's helped me a few times.

radioshane

The squelch is fine now just the onlyn propblem is that there is still loads of data noise even when there talking on 453.0500mhz even tho I have installed the new firmware

radioshane

I have a wellbrook HF loop I thought at first it was the antenna interface then the wellbrook man told me to try it on its own and it worked the interface !.
So he said if the interface works on its own then my coax is short circuiting does anyone know how to stop it short circuiting ?

marlbrook

Premium Subscriber
COAX Problem

It is a bit unlikely the coax is shorting, but not impossible.

It seems more likely the capacitor in the loop has gone 'closed circuit', or somethings are 'touching' that should not.

I suppose you should tackle the coax first.

1. Disconnect it from the Control Box and the Loop. Make sure the inner and outer are not touching, both ends.

2. Use a Meter to across the Inner and Outer wires on one end of the Coax and test to see if it is actually shorting.

3. Set the Meter to measure resistance. If the Coax is OK then the Meter will not react. If it is not the Meter will go show a definite reading.

If the Coax is fine then it will be a bit of trial and error with the Loop to find the fault, using the Meter as above.

Good luck

radioshane

Marlbrook thanks for your'e messege i kept de rigging the bnc plug for hours last night
What type of meter would I need?

marlbrook

Premium Subscriber
Meter

Marlbrook thanks for your'e messege i kept de rigging the bnc plug for hours last night
What type of meter would I need?

Any type of Multi Meter would do. Does not have to be expensive. As long as it reads 'resistance'. Buy a cheap, small analogue one. Always useful.

Just play with it first. Set it to a resistance setting and touch its two prods together. You will see the needle go to full deflection, which when you are testing your coax will indicate a short.

Before you open plugs, try the resistance test. As long as the coax is not connected either end that is the first test.

If that shows no 'SHORT' then the plugs and cable should be OK.

If the Meter indicates a 'short' then you will need to open the plugs (but not remove them) to make sure there is no 'short' inside. Plugs at both ends of the Coax if applicable.

If Coax and plugs are OK, it must be the aerial.

No idea what socket it has, but same test really. Just touch the prods to the outer and inner of the socket. There should be no short, but I am not familiar with the aerial you have, so cannot offer advice on that.

EricCottrell

Premium Subscriber
I have a wellbrook HF loop I thought at first it was the antenna interface then the wellbrook man told me to try it on its own and it worked the interface !.
So he said if the interface works on its own then my coax is short circuiting does anyone know how to stop it short circuiting ?
Hello,

I have a Wellbrook ALA1530 loop. The output of the loop is high, especially if you have any nearby AM Broadcast stations. It will overload the AOR AR-DV1 below 18 MHz. I had to use a AM Band Reject filter to knock down the signal levels.

Try out the AR-DV1 using a short antenna on the FM Broadcast Band or the 162 MHz weather channels.

73 Eric

radioshane

Eric mate I'm using an expensive alinco rs8e dedicated HF set .
I'm so effed I'm even getting my aerial erector to have a wee look at it next weak .
Iv'e even tried tried re doing the bnc plug again with my support worker yesterday and the light stayed on the antenna interface bith just the bnc pin in but I ended up having seven signal of crap .

Status
Not open for further replies.