What would you pay or what is fair market price for AR8200 MKII unblocked?

Status
Not open for further replies.

svenmarbles

Premium Subscriber
Despite theses radios having been around forever, there just aren’t very many of them for sale on the used market. I’m having a hard time figuring out what a reasonable price would be. In this case, not the MKIII, but a MKII that is from outside the US (unblocked) that is in very nice cosmetic condition. If you were in the market for one like this, what would you see as a reasonable price to pay?

prcguy

I have not used a MKII but the 8200 MKIII is a very good receiver and there were a number of unblocked US Govt units floating around on eBay in the $375 to $400 range. These versions are not only unblocked but have the built in inversion descrambler and the backlight can be switched to infrared for use with night vision equipment.

svenmarbles

Premium Subscriber
I hate to steer my own thread off topic, but I’ve seen/heard about the “government “ models. Are there any examples of the 8200 in use by government agencies?

Fowler

Premium Subscriber
I worked for a government contractor we used an 8200 on our job....least to say it was a very nice unit and worked well.

D

DaveNF2G

"Unblocked" refers to reception in the original analog cellphone range, which really has no extra value now that almost all cellular in the USA is digital.

prcguy

Yes, there were lots of them shipped to Iraq and Afghanistan and used by US military for various things. Here is one of the Govt vendors that supplied them: Radio Reconnaissance Technologies Inc

I've talked with a USMC guy that used them in Afghanistan with a radio direction finder and also interpreters used them when they located enemy comms.

I hate to steer my own thread off topic, but I’ve seen/heard about the “government “ models. Are there any examples of the 8200 in use by government agencies?

svenmarbles

Premium Subscriber
Oh no kidding? Yeah I know about how they would intercept the enemy radios in the mountains, and in fact that was key intel during those conflicts. I did not know it was an 8200 that they were using to do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.