Which 1805A Firmware For U.S. DV1 Radios?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MStep

The AOR firmware update page for the DV1 states:

"For USA customers with serial numbers starting with 09560xxx kindly ask to info@aorusa.com which firmware extension you should use."

I wrote to Taka at AOR and received this reply:

"Please try updating with DV2 firmware.
But since DV1 will usually detect the compatible firmware type, if DV2 does not work try using DV1."

I wrote back to Taka:

"That sounds a little scary. I don't want to "brick" the radio. My DV1 receiver does not "see" the firmware with the .DV2 extension on the card. There are two options--- one would be to use the .DV1 firmware, and the other would be to change the .DV2 to .DV1 --- is there any reason why it cannot be determined which is the correct version for the USA customers with serial numbers starting with 09560xxx ?"

So the question is, has anyone with the U.S. version of the DV1 receiver done the 1805A firmware upgrade. Which version did you use and did it work?

MStep

Update

I received a very prompt reply from Taka at the AOR facility in Torrance, CA, as follows:

"The rewriting of the serial number is done here at the us office for us version of AR-DV1.

I believe since the rewriting was done a little while ago, there is a possibility that the original unit is actualyl compatible with DV1."

That answer was a bit cryptic, but in essence I got the idea that he wanted me to install the v1805A.DV1 file. I did that, and all went well.

-Mike

TMac20

I received a very prompt reply from Taka at the AOR facility in Torrance, CA, as follows:

"The rewriting of the serial number is done here at the us office for us version of AR-DV1.

I believe since the rewriting was done a little while ago, there is a possibility that the original unit is actualyl compatible with DV1."

That answer was a bit cryptic, but in essence I got the idea that he wanted me to install the v1805A.DV1 file. I did that, and all went well.

-Mike

Hello Mike,

Can you let us know how you go with your testing and use cases please. Thanks in advance.

MStep

Comment

Will attempt to make observations over the next several days. In order to present a more accurate picture, I may actually have to rollback to my previous version again for a while. I've been away from the radio for quite some time due to personal issues. In addition, I certainly invite anyone else who has had the update experience to v1805A to also comment here on their findings.

DeepBlue

Since owning mine I can say that if I attempt to load the wrong firmware it basically ignores it. Mine will only do an update with the correct version. Mine is a US version, nothing special starting with 956. I have been putting both version on my card each time. When I go to do the actual upgrade, it knows which one to use. I only see one entry for each version so my suggestion is toss both on your card and just let the device choose which is right. Mine has done all the updates correctly each time so far. I currently have 4 update files, 1801 and 1805 both .dv1 and .dv2 on the same card in the radio and it just knows. I think people make it too hard sometimes, or maybe nobody has tried simply loading both before?

Sean
KB8JNE

Status
Not open for further replies.