RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners, Receivers and Related Equipment Forums > AOR Receivers

AOR Receivers - A forum for the discussion of all AOR scanning radios and receivers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-25-2018, 2:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMac20 View Post
AOR demo an IQ wav file being played through sdrsharp, itís an absolute joke.

I doubt any new firmware even exists.
Sponsored links
Old 08-25-2018, 8:24 PM

From the Ham Fair Japan
Attached Images

Old 08-25-2018, 8:26 PM

Sorry - can not read Japanese but this is a menu option of what appears to be 2 option menu additions in settings
Old 08-26-2018, 5:58 AM

Quote:
Sorry - can not read Japanese but this is a menu option of what appears to be 2 option menu additions in settings
It probably just enables discriminator recodring to SD the same as can be already done, they've just implemented it how it should have been done in the first place rather than the ridiculous method of having to add a text file file to the card.

Have they bothered doing anything else in the last 6 weeks, fixed any of the multiple issues that are wrong with it?
Old 08-26-2018, 6:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodpecker View Post
It probably just enables discriminator recodring to SD the same as can be already done, they've just implemented it how it should have been done in the first place rather than the ridiculous method of having to add a text file file to the card.

Have they bothered doing anything else in the last 6 weeks, fixed any of the multiple issues that are wrong with it?
We should all have access to a new firmware update any moment ( I hope it's tomorrow as the Ham Fair is now over). From what I can tell there are two added menu options plus more bug fixes - have no idea but will update/test and post findings from current firmware version and new one as soon as it's available.

If the Icom ICR 30 has 2-3 updated features AOR may as well stop on the DV10 and do a new model fast (I know it's not likely). The ICR30 is amazing value for money and works as it should from all I am reading so far.

PS. I don't have any friends at AOR, i'm just like everyone else wanting them to do their best to make things right for everyone that has had issues on the DV10.
Sponsored links
Old 08-26-2018, 6:49 AM

Quote:
We should all have access to a new firmware update any moment ( I hope it's tomorrow as the Ham Fair is now over). From what I can tell there are two added menu options plus more bug fixes - have no idea but will update/test and post findings from current firmware version and new one as soon as it's available.

If the Icom ICR 30 has 2-3 updated features AOR may as well stop on the DV10 and do a new model fast (I know it's not likely). The ICR30 is amazing value for money and works as it should from all I am reading so far.

PS. I don't have any friends at AOR, i'm just like everyone else wanting them to do their best to make things right for everyone that has had issues on the DV10.
The R30 is useless in the UK as 90%+ of digital is DMR not iDas.

It was obvious they wouldn't release this firmware during the show becuase they wanted to tell everyone at the show that they've fixed everything when they've probably done nothing to address the main issues.
Old 08-26-2018, 7:01 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:

It was obvious they wouldn't release this firmware during the show becuase they wanted to tell everyone at the show that they've fixed everything when they've probably done nothing to address the main issues.
It's only useless if monitoring DMR is someoone's priority, but it's a world class handheld that excels in many regards including airband.
Old 08-26-2018, 7:02 AM

Quote:

Icom, one of the 2-3 features would ideally be DMR (see my other posts on that), of course their are many other things people will use it for in the UK and other parts of the world.

I don't see AOR lying to people, it serves no purpose for a company to do that, but we will certainly know as soon as the feedback starts form the show and the next update. Don't be too quick to judge people Woodpecker, we all know your not happy camper, unless you work at AOR you have ZERO knowledge of what they are or are not doing.

They had a Japanese holiday period leading up to the show and I suspect that also threw out any release date earlier - I have been very clear what they should be doing if they are not already (and the fall back position if they can't rectify things to where they should be at for the ones with issues), we are all in the position of seeing what they come through with, return unit and move on or don't buy. It's pretty simple really.

I just did a quick look last week at the drama of the DV1 release and the jumping up and down that occurred by several users at the time and the update cycle of that unit, they are still doing tweaks on that and its been out for some time. SO hopefully it can all be sorted sooner rather than later.

You said you would never buy another AOR - so why be so uptight about it just get a refund as your unit clearly had issues.
Old 08-26-2018, 7:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgav View Post
It's only useless if monitoring DMR is someoone's priority, but it's a world class handheld that excels in many regards including airband.
With no DMR, I and many others have no interest in it, this is a DV10 thread can we keep it on topic.
Old 08-26-2018, 7:08 AM

Quote:
You said you would never buy another AOR - so why be so uptight about it just get a refund as your unit clearly had issues.
Just to clarify your statement, ALL DV10 radios have these issues not just mine.
Old 08-26-2018, 7:41 AM

You nor I have not tested ALL radio's made by AOR ...but in fairness to you and several others they had issues on the drift for sure.

What I have been told directly so far in my questions to users by country is that 2 users in Australia do not have drift, 1 in Singapore does not have drift, 3 in Japan do not have drift, 2 in USA do not have drift, 2 in France do not have drift (however, maybe all those asked are not testing correctly either) nor on the low band as per updated notation on the spec from AOR.

So putting aside for the moment the bugs/quirks which will be sorted. Let's deal with the seriousness of the drift that you and some others have had - one has to wonder what the hell happened, did a batch of units pass through that were using wrong parts/substitutes etc. as others have mentioned before only AOR knows.

No one outside AOR can cast such a wide net on faults, and certainly they would not be sticking their heads in the sand - it's just not Japanese culture. I have said this many times and I will again, they need to communicate with everyone if this is the case and simply exchange out what units have had issues if they are in fact hardware. It's way cheaper in the long run.

Believe me I will be brutally honest in the findings I have had to date where I need to be - which I will post as soon as I can get the next update.
Old 08-26-2018, 8:21 AM

There are no proper reports or evidence of any units not drifting, most users donít have the means to test it and will suffer degraded performance without either noticing or understanding why.
Old 08-26-2018, 8:49 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Perhaps ARRL should perform a detailed review of the AR-DV10.
Old 08-26-2018, 8:59 AM

That nice IQ for ARDV10 . So you record a signal in SD card , You put SD in the PC and run SDRsharp .

You take an airspy mini (99$) and sdrsharp and you have the same result .(without the SD card extraction)

What woud be the lifetime of a SD card plug and unplug so many time .?

DJ X11 from Alinca have IQ output for 7 or 8 years . It was the beginning but I run nice .

We also don't care about COPAS 180 Ä option for a 1115 Ä receiver . What we want is a really good 1115 Ä receiver (NXdn 9600 , good DMR reception , trunk using 3 VFO , P245 Phase 2 , IQ output , a good memories programmation tool , and other ...)
Old 08-26-2018, 9:19 AM

Default Was it one bad batch?

Just assuming the drift fault was only present in one bad batch of DV10's, why have AOR refused to acknowledge that?

Many of them have been returned, so there are a lot that could and should have been tested by now.

It would have been easy for AOR to recall the bad batch, and replace faulty components if they knew how to fix the issue. That would have left their reputation in tact, and looked after their Customers.

The fact AOR did not do this is a pretty clear indication that either AOR have no idea how many DV10's are suffering from the frequency drift, or that they know all of that production run are, and in either case do not care and intend to remain silent.

The reality is that only DV10's that are tested with the right equipment can be correctly judged to have the fault or not.

In its original form, the DV10 wiil receive lots of signals. Depending on how low the desired frequency, Mode and IF Bandwidth may be, they could remain 'close' enough to the intended frequency to sound OK a lot of the time.

I keep having to repeat this, the drift is going to effect Digital signals more drastically, in such a way that many of them that are not very strong will just be totally missed. The radio will just remain silent, so unless someone has a correctly working Digital receiver side by side with the DV10 users will NOT know 'what they are missing', and have no indication of a problem at all. Hearing some Digital signals whilst being unaware of those that were present but not detected is hardly evidence of the DV10 working properly.

I would be delighted to have it proved to me that it was one bad batch, that had faulty components, and new DV10's work as they should.

The ONLY way I, and I suspect many others would have been convinced of that is if AOR acknowledge the fault, acknowledge it was a component issue, that they have or will correct it in newer models., and will replace any Radio's that needs to be.

I could have lived with some things needing to be fixed in Firmware, as many of us have done re. the AR-DV1.

I cannot accept that the displayed frequency of any Radio IS, or even MAY, not remain the actual frequency being received, with the associated results, (especially on Digital signals). For analogue reception, many decades ago perhaps, but not now.

Not much to ask for a Radio that can hardly be described as anything but expensive.
Old 08-26-2018, 10:04 AM

Here is a google translate of the 1808D features, not sure about the Buddist Farm :-)

Just to claify all below is pasted from a website, none of the comments are mine.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buddhist features of the new farm

The main feature of the new farm is the recording of I / Q data compatible with SDR #, but with the bandwidth being 30 KHz it is only possible to record the currently received radio waves and the recording is either voice recording or practical use The impression is that sex is not so high.

When IC-R30 is also taken out together, it seems that recording of voice is IC-R30 and recording of I / Q data is AR-DV10.

Because it is the limitation of the hard capability of the AR - DV 10, it is unlikely that the band will further expand in AR - DV 10 in the future.

At least when it comes to the band of about 5 MHz, I'm grateful that I can go home and check what I received on the go.

Another new feature is actually a feature
AR - DV 10 gets an alias which is not hard to be appreciated by "Drift King" when the frequency drift is intense at certain places.

With the latest firmware 1808D, frequency automatic and manual adjustment function was added.

The CPU measures the temperature and adjusts the automatic frequency
The built-in CPU in the AR-DV 10 measures the temperature and has the function to automatically adjust the frequency.

Manual frequency adjustment
The manual adjustment item of frequency has been added to the menu.

Specifically, while receiving, adjust the XTAL OFFSET in the menu between Ī 9999.

Other contents of version upgrade
In this version upgrade, addition of other new functions and stability improvement are attempted.

new function
SD card recording related
At the time of SD card recording, incidental information (start time, frequency, reception mode) can be recorded.

However, display-only software is under development and the timing of offer is undecided (haha)

Add display information
Setting values ??of voice reversal, tone squelch, DCS etc. can be displayed on VFO.

However, it is unconfirmed at this moment whether tone squelch or DCS being received, such as that found in Uniden's BCD-436 HP, can be displayed.

Stability improvement
Improve compatibility of SD card, stabilize recording process
Optimizing the program reduces unnecessary errors and hangs
Improvement of decoding rate of P25 and DMR
Fixed minor bugs
Let's try it immediately!

Personally, I am glad if stability improved.

After all, when I used it outdoors for the first time, it froze in 90 minutes.

I will be using it for a long time outdoors tonight, so I'm looking forward to see if stability has improved.

At the booth of AOR, there was also introduction of control on the tablet of AR - DV 1, so I think that if you can introduce it as well.
Old 08-26-2018, 10:14 AM

Default Manual frequency adjustment

How 'sad' is that. Having to make manual adjustments to compensate for frequency drift in this day and age.

On the other hand, is this another 'special' function of the AR-DV10 that no other Radios have?

Of course they do not have it because they do no need it!
Old 08-26-2018, 10:29 AM

And only available (at the moment) if you took a trip to Tokyo this weekend!
Old 08-26-2018, 10:33 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

So according to the translation it sounds like AOR is acknowledging there's a known hardware issue causing frequency drift that they are trying to "fix" via firmware?
Old 08-26-2018, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgav View Post
So according to the translation it sounds like AOR is acknowledging there's a known hardware issue causing frequency drift that they are trying to "fix" via firmware?
Yes but hasn't released it to us that found all these issues, only customers that rolled up to their booth in Tokyo this weekend, what a sad disgraceful business AOR really are!