AR8600-MK2 Collins Mechanical Filters

Status
Not open for further replies.

AOR-262

Has anyone had these optional mechanical filters fitted to their 8600 Mk2?

What is the audio improvement on SSB and/or AM? (don't suppose anyone would have a video of two 8600 Mk2's side-by-side, one with and one without the filters fitted)

Can they be fitted by the user (carefully) or is it a solder job by a competent person?

oceans777

Listener
Yes you'd need to de-solder both Murata filters and solder in the Collins. I've not used the Collins in the 8600 Mk2 but they offer a narrower filter width from Murata 3 (USB LSB CW NAM) and 9 kHz (AM SFM) to Collins 2.5 and 6 kHz. I haven't used the Collins filters in the 8600 but the main thing is if you need the narrower filters for your monitoring - also affects VHF air.

https://www.ameradio.com/doc/AOR_AR8600_optional_filters.pdf

AOR-262

@oceans777

Thanks for your reply. So it would seem as if fitting these filters would have a knock-on effect of VHF frequencies, whereby it was stated in that document that VHF frequencies might be slightly offset. Probably not a big deal but nevertheless it would be something I'd be not too happy about. It was only an idea I was toying with so probably won't bother -- especially having to poke a soldering iron inside on such a tiny circuit bored.

oceans777

Listener
I think you’re right about not bothering with it. So if your filter bandwidth is narrower on VHF NAM at 2.5 instead of 3 kHz, and a VHF air transmitter you monitor is off center frequency by a bit, part of the audio might fall outside the filters width. I see that is NAM though - I don’t have the 8600 - I’d assume you can use AM at 9 kHz for VHF air and be fine but not sure. On my AR5000 I’ve left the width at 15 kHz a few times with no problem on AM, VHF air, definitely better narrower but ok wider.
I have an AR5000A+3 with Collins filter and it’s definitely nothing I’d go soldering for compared to my other AR5000.

Status
Not open for further replies.