Helicopter Down at Grand Canyon West.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DHAS12

Peach Springs Fire/EMS, Lake Mohave Ranchos Fire, and AMR all responding to a helicopter down at grand Canyon west rim near the Skywalk. Helicopter is down in a ravine. Possibly 8 + patients.

DHAS12

Any news feeds or more info on this ??

Have not heard anything more. Units on scene are on VFIRE21 so I am out of range. Last I heard was Multiple fatalities. Unknown number of survivors, but I think they had 3 Medical helos en route, and 4 ground ambulances, but cancelled 1 ground ambulance. As soon as I find a news article I will link it.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
There's nothing on that TV station's news pages to indicate any type of helicopter accident.

DHAS12

There's nothing on that TV station's news pages to indicate any type of helicopter accident.

The article I linked with todays date from 7:10 PM MST says

"Dispatch: 3 people killed in helicopter crash near Grand Canyon; others injured or missing"

"Three people have been killed after a helicopter crashed near the Grand Canyon Saturday afternoon, according to a dispatcher with the Hualapai Department of Emergency Services."

Also, ABC15 had a live stream on facebook about it.

DHAS12

Unconfirmed, but i'm guessing it was one of these helos since it was a Eurocoptor EC-130

Attachments

• download (5).jpg
    download (5).jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 269

atech

Premium Subscriber
Arizona Incidents and Breaking News

You are correct !! First article was the old crash and then I had to confirm via ABC 7 of the NEW crash! Thanks again to ALL for the quick response!

Atech

KB7MIB

3TV just had a blurb about it on their 9pm newscast. 3 people reportedly killed. Crash occured east of Lake Mead.

John
Peoria

DHAS12

3TV just had a blurb about it on their 9pm newscast. 3 people reportedly killed. Crash occured east of Lake Mead.

John
Peoria

Yep. It was on the Hualapai Indian Reservation so it happend somewhere near the skywalk, which is about 30 miles East from Lake Mead. From what I heard on the scanner, it didn't happen to far from Grand Canyon West Airport, but the crash was in a ravine. An interesting thing is that the AMR units wanted to move to VAIRS- 4 so they would have better radio coverage and still communicate with Dispatch. Both the responding units and the dispatcher moved to Vairs, but neither could contact or hear each other, and I was only able to hear the units responding on VAIRS not the dispatcher.

It has been a crazy past few hours for scanner listening here in Kingman. First the helo crash, and now there has been an Officer involved shooting here in Kingman.

Last edited:

EMTJD

I heard my local AM station, KFI, report it on the news segment while on my way home from work today.

DHAS12

Here is an up to date news article with pictures from the scene. Helo is confirmed to be A Papillon helicopter, and crashed in quartermaster canyon, southeast of the Grand Canyon Skywalk.

Las Vegas tour helicopter crashes in Grand Canyon, killing 3 | KSNV

3 dead, and 4 level 1 trauma pts. Looking at the fire in the pictures in this article, i'm surprised anybody survived at all. Sad situation.

Last edited:

KB7MIB

I wonder if one of the responding agencies had the tones mis-programmed on VAIRS-4 in their radios?

I hadn't heard about the officer involved shooting, it must have occured too late to be on the 9pm newscast? Or maybe they just hadn't gotten the info about it in time.

John
Peoria

DHAS12

That would be my first guess, although I don't have any tones programmed in for that frequency on my scanner and I wasnt hearing the dispatcher, just the responding units. Maybe the dispatcher radios had wrong input tones or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.