TV helicopter changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

radioprescott

Premium Subscriber
Three Valley television news stations announced an agreement Tuesday to share the operations of a single news helicopter in an effort to cut costs.

Channel 5, Channel 3 and 12 News announced that beginning Sunday, each station will use the same aerial footage for and traffic. The move will provide a single shot for each station to narrate as the stations see fit during a newscast.

Helicopters Inc. will operate the single helicopter out of its Scottsdale airport base, and the helicopter won't have any station logos.

3 TV stations to share helicopter to cover the news

Helicopters Inc news gathering helicopters

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
Three Valley television news stations announced an agreement Tuesday to share the operations of a single news helicopter in an effort to cut costs.

Channel 5, Channel 3 and 12 News announced that beginning Sunday, each station will use the same aerial footage for and traffic. The move will provide a single shot for each station to narrate as the stations see fit during a newscast.

Helicopters Inc. will operate the single helicopter out of its Scottsdale airport base, and the helicopter won't have any station logos.

3 TV stations to share helicopter to cover the news

Helicopters Inc news gathering helicopters

Anyone know what the radio frequencies will be for this new coop? Obviously they'll need to communicate simultaneously with all three stations to let them know where they are and what they're up to.

-AZ

radioprescott

Premium Subscriber
No land mobile listing for Helicopters Inc in the FCC ULS. Just generic aircraft registration listings.

Wonder of they will use one of the existing newsdesk-to-helo freqs that the stations already have.

AZScanner

No land mobile listing for Helicopters Inc in the FCC ULS. Just generic aircraft registration listings.

Wonder of they will use one of the existing newsdesk-to-helo freqs that the stations already have.

I just hope it isn't Nexthell or trunked SMR (can be monitored but good luck finding 'em). I wonder if close call/signal stalker would work if you were standing right below the helo when they radioed back to the desk?

radioprescott

Premium Subscriber
...I wonder if close call/signal stalker would work if you were standing right below the helo when they radioed back to the desk?

I've tried that trick with my 396 trying to track down Native Air 14 ops freq here in Pescott Valley without much success. - been right under them as they were orbiting a scene and could hear them in comms with LZ on the FD radios, but not a peep out of the 396 CC. Heard them fine scanning the programmed fire channel.

Maybe the attenuation on the CC circuitry is too high with just a rubber duck.

Well it will give you Valley guys something to do this Sunday. :p

You will want to make sure you have the following frequencies handy:

Media Helo Ops: 161.67 DCS 026
KTVK Helo Ops: 161.73 CTCSS 127.63
Valley Helicopters: 123.05 AM

And to a lesser extent:
KPHO REMOTE: 450.05 DCS 365
KSAZ OPS: 450.0875 DCS 026
KPNX OPS: 450.1125 DCS 243
KTVK OPS: 450.1875 DCS 261
KPNX NEWS: 450.2375 SEARCH
KTVK NEWS: 450.35 DCS 261
KSAZ NEWS: 450.45 DCS 026
KPNX ENG: 460.6125 DCS 243
KPHO NEWS: 450.75 DCS 365

ICP963

Feed Provider
I am saddened by the news of the three stations that have decided to combine their helicopter news gathering. Numerous longtime employees have lost their jobs due to this event. I do understand that the reason behind the decision is due to the recession, and not in the interest of safety.

It appears from the news releases that this new helicopter will be staffed by only two people, the pilot and a reporter. Nothing in the release said anything about the camera operator, and I understand that the camera operator will actually be called the reporter. They cite the recent comments from the FAA that their should be two people in the crew, while the FAA actually recommended that the the pilot not also be the reporter.

KTVK's NewsChopper3 had been flying with a crew of three since returning to the air after the tragic events of July 07. They had been running a camera operator, pilot/reporter (Bruce Haffner) and a co-pilot. Whenever Bruce was live on the air, control of the helicopter was turned over to the co-pilot.

If the nation was not in the recession I doubt this would combining of resources would have even been considered, but rather the other stations likely would be putting a third crew member into their helicopters.

I know that some will say they hate the way the media has used helicopters and are glad to see some of them gone, bit considering that NewsChopper3 and Bruce Haffner have been a fixture on television in Arizona in recent years much the way that the old Sky12 and jerry Foster were in the 70's and 80's.

I for one will miss seeing the non hard news stories that Bruce & NewsChopper3 contributed to the airwaves in Arizona over the years. It is the end of an era.

radioprescott

Premium Subscriber
So Bruce is now no longer in that position, for sure? I thought I just heard him two days ago.

According to the article, all should stay the same until Sunday. Then the new 'independent' crew takes over.

But as soon as their ratings fall (and advertising revenue decreases) the stations will will want their individual identities back and the helos will be flying again.

According to the article, all should stay the same until Sunday. Then the new 'independent' crew takes over.

But as soon as their ratings fall (and advertising revenue decreases) the stations will will want their individual identities back and the helos will be flying again.

I think you are right. When times improve again for everyone in AZ things should get back to normal.

hulka

This also could be a new trend for the future. Are any other news agencies doing the same thing?

I know everyone has their opinions but I think it is a good idea.

AZScanner

This also could be a new trend for the future. Are any other news agencies doing the same thing?

I know everyone has their opinions but I think it is a good idea.

Yep. Stations in Denver, Chicago and Philadelphia have all entered sharing agreements that share one helo with 2 or more stations. There will be plenty more to come. I share Roy's sentiments about guys like Bruce Haffner getting laid off as a result, but at the same time it's a smart move for these stations considering these birds cost about $400 an hour to fly. This is a trend that you can expect to see spreading like wildfire all over the US. Other stations are landing their birds for good with NO replacements whatsoever. Times are bad right now in the news biz and they are only going to get worse. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if the next announcement you hear about is the closing of an entire news department in Phoenix. That may be next for KPHO. It's that bad out there.

-AZ

scannerhead

One of the pilots will be Scott Clifton

KPHO TV-5 has stated on their web-site, in part;

February 25, 2009
"Beginning Thursday, KPHO, KTVK and KPNX will use a single helicopter for news gathering in an effort to cut costs, according to KPHO General Manager Ed Munson."

"An HD A-Star Euro copter will eventually replace the current Ranger, which was previously leased by KPHO."

"In an e-mail sent to employees, Munson said current NewsHawk 5 pilot Scott Clifton will be one of the two pilots for the new helicopter."

So we're still not sure who the other pilot will be. Apprently this merger began on Thursday 2/26/09. On Friday 2/27 from 5:30 to 7:00pm I didn't hear any transmissions on the 3, 5 & 12 freqs.

Keith

Not too surprising I guess. Scott Clifton I believe is the former PPD pilot that just retired from the department and came over like six months ago. He is probably one of the most seasoned pilots in the valley, can get tips from his buds flying the firebirds for PPD, and has experience flying the eurocopter.

ICP963

Feed Provider
Yep. Stations in Denver, Chicago and Philadelphia have all entered sharing agreements that share one helo with 2 or more stations. There will be plenty more to come. I share Roy's sentiments about guys like Bruce Haffner getting laid off as a result, but at the same time it's a smart move for these stations considering these birds cost about $400 an hour to fly. This is a trend that you can expect to see spreading like wildfire all over the US. Other stations are landing their birds for good with NO replacements whatsoever. Times are bad right now in the news biz and they are only going to get worse. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if the next announcement you hear about is the closing of an entire news department in Phoenix. That may be next for KPHO. It's that bad out there.

-AZ
The cost is more in the $1,000+ per hour when you factor in the maintenance on all the extra high dollar camera gear and microwave equipment. Not cheep for sure.

radioprescott

Premium Subscriber
Apprently this merger began on Thursday 2/26/09. On Friday 2/27 from 5:30 to 7:00pm I didn't hear any transmissions on the 3, 5 & 12 freqs.
I heard several comms on 450.750 DCS 365 (KPHO 5) with a helo responding to the incident on US60 early Friday morning. Male voice in the helo, female on the desk. Didn't recognize the voices.

And I too did not hear the usual chatter on the TV freqs.

hulka

One way to look at it is like the Forest Fire Service, they sub out their air work because it is cheaper in the long run. This day and age it is all about making the $$$$. Lets face it, they do not care if you have a job or not, it is about the dollar. If they are loosing money it is time to cut cost.

I think you sill see the PD helo's up a lot less now to with the way money is. Last I saw it was like $400.00 and hour to fly phoenix helo.

duddly83

News Heli's in Phoenix

I used to be a camera shooter for KPHO while both Scott Clifton and Connie Sullivan were the pilots.

First off to the guys who think it's $400 an hour for those birds to be in operation, sorry but you're way off. Usual cost is closer to $800 an hour not counting fuel or cost for a pilot. They usually do that so that each hour money is banked in a fund for maintenance later down the line (ie. 100hr, 500hr, and Annual Inspections.)

Next I should let you guys know that Bruce, in being a great pilot, was the lowest in the valley when it came to flight time. I know that the Pilot for Channel 10 (FOX) was also an instructor on the side and was rated in many different aircraft. Both the Channel 12 ({NBC}, but then became Bruce's co-pilot after the 2007 accident) and Channel 5 pilot Connie Sullivan were retired PPD Officers. As for Scott, his bio is more impressive than the rest. License for balloons at 16 and flew with his father (Jerry Clifton, who flew in Vietnam and for the PPD and also who started the whole ENG Helicopter bizz in the valley) for many many years before taking over his position with CBS 5.

As good as Bruce was on air, he would be last pick if it came down to the other pilots for selection of the 2 spots.

Simply my two cents.

**Those who have taste flight, will forever wonder this earth with their eyes to the sky.

AZScanner

Well I personally think the current arrangement sucks. Yeah, that's right. I said it. It sucks! The quality of their coverage is sub par and they take forever to get into the air and over something newsworthy. What do they do all day in between stories? Sit at Scottsdale Airport playing cards?

I HATE this setup. Hate it. And you should hear the clusterf... going on over the ENG freqs behind the scenes trying to keep it all straight among the three stations when these jokers actually DO get on scene of something. What a complete joke! This move was penny wise and dollar foolish. They should have just scrapped the damn helo idea altogether and let 10 and 15 eat their lunch for all the good this co-op has done. If I was the News Director at any one of these 3 shops I'd be livid furious about this whole thing and would insist on getting our own chopper back ASAP.

Bah - it's just another example of this bass-ackwards news market. What next? Sharing entertainment reporters? Or weather personalities? Gimme a break. We're literally a spit's distance away from being a top ten news market but you'd NEVER EVER know it from the way these stations are run. Pitiful.

-AZ

Status
Not open for further replies.