Mexican Traffic on 462.5750

Status
Not open for further replies.

sierramike98

I live in Sierra Vista (about 12 miles from the Mexican border). I purchased a HomePatrol about a year ago but only used it for road trips. Monitoring the Monument Fire kindled (pun intended) my interest in scanning. I just added unlicensed bands (CB, FRS, etc.) to thanks to another post on this site at http://forums.radioreference.com/uniden-scanners/213960-amateur-marine-cb-frs-favorites.htm and Power Patrol. I also added common business radio freqs listed at Common Itinerant and Business - The RadioReference Wiki.

With the stock antenna, I pickup Spanish language chatter on GMRS Ch 2/White Dot, (462.5750 mHz). I can pickup the same tranmission on a hand-held FRS radio inside my house. My Spanish is rusty but from what I can make out, the transmissions are fairly disciplined and they are using codewords--either that or my Spanish is much worse than I think.

About 18 months ago, I was scouting in preparation for a deer hunt on the west side of the Dragoon Mountains northeast of Tombstone. I had a FRS radio with me and had it set to scan. On Ch 16 (462.5700 mHz), I heard what seem to be reporting on my movements as I would stop, get out of my vehcile, glass the hill sides, and move on. After a while, I put on my blaze orange hunting vest the next time I got out of the car. I thought I heard over the radio, "Don't worry, he is a hunter" in Spanish. After that, the reporting on my movements seemed to stop but other traffic continued.

The traffic then seems similar to what I am picking up now. They sound like they are from the same group (radio procedures, types of transmissions, codewords, etc). Its is about 20-25 miles between my house and the place I was scouting. It is more or less line of sight (across the river valley). I do not have a strong grasp of radio propogation theory or knowledge of FCC restrictions, but it seems to me that is a long ways for an FRS or even a GMRS radio to transmit. I would guess there is a repeater close by but I don't find on listed anywhere for that frequency.

If I had to guess, I would say I am hearing scouts for drug/immigrant runners reporting on LEA activitites. However, I would prefer to further corroborate this hypothesis before coming to that conclusion.

Can anyone else pick up this traffic or have any thoughts?

ecps92

Lots of assumptions, w/o actually finding who is talking.

National Guard, Cops, Wardens or Drug Lords.

Could be anyone one, as the bubble packs are out there at any Walmart

I live in Sierra Vista (about 12 miles from the Mexican border). I purchased a HomePatrol about a year ago but only used it for road trips. Monitoring the Monument Fire kindled (pun intended) my interest in scanning. I just added unlicensed bands (CB, FRS, etc.) to thanks to another post on this site at http://forums.radioreference.com/uniden-scanners/213960-amateur-marine-cb-frs-favorites.htm and Power Patrol. I also added common business radio freqs listed at Common Itinerant and Business - The RadioReference Wiki.

With the stock antenna, I pickup Spanish language chatter on GMRS Ch 2/White Dot, (462.5750 mHz). I can pickup the same tranmission on a hand-held FRS radio inside my house. My Spanish is rusty but from what I can make out, the transmissions are fairly disciplined and they are using codewords--either that or my Spanish is much worse than I think.

About 18 months ago, I was scouting in preparation for a deer hunt on the west side of the Dragoon Mountains northeast of Tombstone. I had a FRS radio with me and had it set to scan. On Ch 16 (462.5700 mHz), I heard what seem to be reporting on my movements as I would stop, get out of my vehcile, glass the hill sides, and move on. After a while, I put on my blaze orange hunting vest the next time I got out of the car. I thought I heard over the radio, "Don't worry, he is a hunter" in Spanish. After that, the reporting on my movements seemed to stop but other traffic continued.

The traffic then seems similar to what I am picking up now. They sound like they are from the same group (radio procedures, types of transmissions, codewords, etc). Its is about 20-25 miles between my house and the place I was scouting. It is more or less line of sight (across the river valley). I do not have a strong grasp of radio propogation theory or knowledge of FCC restrictions, but it seems to me that is a long ways for an FRS or even a GMRS radio to transmit. I would guess there is a repeater close by but I don't find on listed anywhere for that frequency.

If I had to guess, I would say I am hearing scouts for drug/immigrant runners reporting on LEA activitites. However, I would prefer to further corroborate this hypothesis before coming to that conclusion.

Can anyone else pick up this traffic or have any thoughts?

brandon

Database Admin
Good stuff! Is it possible to record some of this traffic and post here? Getting some translations would be very interesting.

K2GMZ

It's common knowledge there's mexican scouts patrolling these area's protecting known trafficking routes, or you could have listening to poachers looking for a drug run to hit.

Have you thought to pass this info to Law Enforcement? They may be very interested in knowing this.

Status
Not open for further replies.