Getting Ready for the new x36HP scanners to arrive

Status
Not open for further replies.

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
Hi gang,

I thought maybe we could get some discussion going on how best to configure favorites lists and other settings for the new Unidens for the Phoenix and Tucson areas when they come out. Obviously, Tucson is going to change drastically when the new PCWin system goes live, but the Phoenix RWC and TRWC systems should be relatively stable for the next couple of years.

Since this scanner is going to work very similarly to the current Home Patrol scanners, what's the best way to set them up for the RWC/TRWC? For example, I want to be able to quickly select which system I want to monitor (Tempe, Mesa, Chandler, Gilbert, Phoenix, etc) and not hear traffic on the others. I prefer to scan the area I'm currently in or interested in monitoring rather than just let the scanner scan everything at once. I'm really old school when it comes to scanners - this will be my first new scanner since the BC796D and Pro96 came out. So the whole concept of favorites lists and system avoids, agency quick keys and such are very foreign concepts to me. I'm a banks and scanlists guy.

I've downloaded and played around with the new Sentinel software, so I'm getting my head around how favorite lists work, but something I noticed is that if I select a handful of Phoenix talkgroups as a favorite, every single frequency for the RWC is included. I'm not sure if that's what I want - suppose the scanner locks on to an IR site or Tempe's control channel and I want to monitor Phoenix Simulcast A instead. Is there a way to make sure the scanner ONLY scans certain sites when I activate a particular favorites list? I'm sure there is, but I'm just too "old school" to see it. :lol:

Maybe we could make this thread a sticky? I'm thinking it would be a good place to share HPE files as things get going with the PCWin and people start tinkering with these new scanners when they arrive.

-AZ

desert-cheetah

Premium Subscriber
Good idea to start this thread.

All I can contribute at this point is to say that I hope the new scanners are able to decode RWC & TRWC...and hopefully better than my pro-106.

I've looked over the preliminary users guide and it makes my head hurt with all of the steps and things to do. I imagine I'm over-thinking it, though. I'm good at that. Hahaha. I tried to download the software so I could give it a look-see but I was unsuccessful. My work computer blocked me from doing it and my iPad mini said 'huh?' When I tried to download it.

Astrak

The programming software is Windows software so the iPad..........................yeah that won't work. I think there is going to be a mobile app for control of the scanner sometime. There is a youtube video of one of the scanner supposedly being driven around Ft. Worth TX monitoring "This system is reported as very difficult to monitor on a scanner due to simulcast issues" and it might be, but Phoenix area is a different beast. Phase I Simul Test - YouTube

rpgaun

Premium Subscriber
The Big Question.

This looks very cool. Just watched the UTube demo. But the big question is - How much will the scanner cost? I only have one arm and one leg left after buying a 996XT a few years ago.

desert-cheetah

Premium Subscriber
The programming software is Windows software so the iPad..........................yeah that won't work. I think there is going to be a mobile app for control of the scanner sometime. There is a youtube video of one of the scanner supposedly being driven around Ft. Worth TX monitoring "This system is reported as very difficult to monitor on a scanner due to simulcast issues" and it might be, but Phoenix area is a different beast. Phase I Simul Test - YouTube

Oh yeah. Now it makes sense why I couldn't get the Sentinel software to download to my mini. hehehe. Thanks for that, I appreciate it. :)

Well, the new x35HP scanners are similar to Home Patrol. I wonder if there's anyone on the AZ forum who has an HP who can chime in with how successful they've been in monitoring RWC and TWRC with it. Of course, since HRO is getting them, I suppose I could go down there and test it out there once they become available. Or...wait for one of you guys to buy it then see how it works for you. ;)

AZScanner

I think the comparisons to the Home Patrol and these new radios should be limited to how they are programmed and updated via the RR DB. It's my educated guess that they are two totally different scanners otherwise.

I have preordered the 436 from Scanner Master so as soon as they ship, mine will be on it's way. Once I get it, I'll be happy to post a video review/demo of how it works on the RWC, so we'll all know how well it works (or doesn't) in a month or so. My location is probably the worst for reception of the RWC - a few miles down the road in either direction and my BC796D works fine, but not at home. So if it works good at my house, it will probably work GREAT everywhere else. :)

If someone else is getting a 536, they will likely receive theirs before I receive mine, but I wanted a handheld unit so I'm good waiting the extra couple of weeks to get it. Looking forward to those first reports from 536 owners to see what they think of the new radio!

-AZ

tipster67

As for myself, I never got to test the HP here in Arizona. I did have one in Kansas where the local system was a Motorola Type II Smartnet. And the statewide was a Project 25 Phase I. My Radio Shack/GRE radio's utterly kicked the HP's ***. I was missing so much, transmission wise. I was doing so many changes to the lists and favorites. I just got so damn frustrated. I sold my HP. I also kept having this feeling that the HP and software was just too dumb downed for me. I am no expert by any means, but I felt like this radio was made for a child to use. Maybe I just like all my buttons. Now that it sounds like I am a hater... The HP was great for a traveler. The RR DB option was great. I am sure this did not help at all, but I hope it did something for ya. Again, I may just be too damn picky!!

AZScanner

My Radio Shack/GRE radio's utterly kicked the HP's ***. I was missing so much, transmission wise. I was doing so many changes to the lists and favorites. I just got so damn frustrated. I sold my HP.

This is what I think is going to confuse people who get one of these scanners. Unless you only activate the channels you REALLY want to monitor, it's going to try to scan everything in your area. Here in Phoenix, that's a TON of stuff. If I just crank in my zip code and nothing else, it will scan so manny channels across so many systems that it might literally take it several minutes to get through them all, hence the "missing stuff" Tipster referred to.

Also, I'm wondering how easy it will be to park the scanner on one channel and then jump to another one. When I listen for newsgathering purposes, I usually use multiple radios and prefer to lock one scanner down to the PD dispatch channel for whatever area I'm in. So as I cross the border from Phoenix into Tempe for example, how easily will I be able to switch from PPD 400A/B to Tempe PD A2? Suppose I'm listening to Phoenix Police when a mountain rescue goes out on PFD's K deck channels. Can I just turn the knob until K-Deck 11 shows up on the display? Or will I need to push a bunch of buttons to get that channel tuned in? Etc.

This is why I was hoping some HP users would chime in and provide some tips and tricks they've used with these radios. Problem is, it sounds like the original HP did so poorly on the RWC/TRWC that I'm beginning to wonder if anyone in Phoenix still has one. :(

-AZ

Go-West

Premium Subscriber
I'll be looking forward to your feedback when you acquire the new Uniden model. I do plan on buying one as well, but it will be in the spring or even summer depending upon the money situation. I purchased a pair of the original BCD 396T's back in 2006 and they still work fine. I bought a GRE-500 in 2008 and am very pleased with its performance. There is plenty to monitor here about 45 minutes from El Paso, Texas.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Also, I'm wondering how easy it will be to park the scanner on one channel and then jump to another one. When I listen for newsgathering purposes, I usually use multiple radios and prefer to lock one scanner down to the PD dispatch channel for whatever area I'm in. So as I cross the border from Phoenix into Tempe for example, how easily will I be able to switch from PPD 400A/B to Tempe PD A2? Suppose I'm listening to Phoenix Police when a mountain rescue goes out on PFD's K deck channels. Can I just turn the knob until K-Deck 11 shows up on the display? Or will I need to push a bunch of buttons to get that channel tuned in? Etc.

This is why I was hoping some HP users would chime in and provide some tips and tricks they've used with these radios. Problem is, it sounds like the original HP did so poorly on the RWC/TRWC that I'm beginning to wonder if anyone in Phoenix still has one. :(

-AZ
AZ,
That's where the number tags come into play. You can assign a tag to a system or individual channel, and then with a couple of key presses, jump directly to that. That feature came into play om the XT series, and is being carried over into these new scanners. Should be similar to this.

AZScanner

AZ,
That's where the number tags come into play. You can assign a tag to a system or individual channel, and then with a couple of key presses, jump directly to that. That feature came into play om the XT series, and is being carried over into these new scanners. Should be similar to this.

Ooh, I like that! Cool I'm going to read up on this, thanks for the info!

-AZ

2wayfreq

I have two main concerns for the 436: 1. Better battery life 2. Louder Audio (than the 396T). By the way, anyone recommend a brand of super high capacity (Camera Grade) AA Nimh or Lion batteries for this? I want 8 hours of operation if I can get it. Also, a good brand of AA charger/conditioner with status display.

rwier

............. I wonder if there's anyone on the AZ forum who has an HP who can chime in with how successful they've been in monitoring RWC and TWRC with it......

Hi Brenda,

I have little experience with the TWRC, but I have had considerable experience with the RWC. This is because I haven't got far from home lately. I found a few year old posts that I participated in that might be related to the RWC. They are:

http://forums.radioreference.com/uniden-scanners/228289-does-anyone-know.html

http://forums.radioreference.com/arizona-radio-discussion-forum/228353-scanner-frustrated.html

http://forums.radioreference.com/arizona-radio-discussion-forum/235360-rwc-freq-question.html

Also, I am attaching an .hpe file that contains my home area Favorites List. I use it as it is near my general location of I-17 and Greenway. To get the .hpe file into the Sentinel software:

1) Unzip (extract) the Attachment to a temporary location of your choosing (I use the Desktop)
2) Open the Sentinel Software
3) Select “File” (upper left corner of Sentinel screen)
4) Select “Import from hpe file....”
5) From the “Select Favorites List” screen select “New Favorites List”
6) Name your new Favorites List
7) Click “OK”
8) Find that unzipped file or folder and left click on it
9) Shazam!!! A fully formed Favorites List should pop up into the Sentinel Software under the name you chose earlier
10) Edit it as you see fit for your area of the Valley (start with the Star and Pencil, lol)
11) Write to HomePatrol
12) Attempt to listen

Now at 74 years, there is no way I got those instructions correct on the first try. When something happens different than the instructions, just holler, and someone, or myself, will assist.

Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.