Fire conditions/forecast broadcast

Status
Not open for further replies.
V

VGSMC_8520

Are there any regular, repeating, or daily broadcasts that state the current fire conditions and forecast in the state? I think I remember hearing a regular broadcast around 9 or 10 AM every day, but I can't remember what agency or frequency. I'm looking to keep up on the latest fire conditions when I'm out camping around the state.

V

VGSMC_8520

I've heard such broadcasts on USFS frequencies, I was sorta looking for more insight on the specifics: the time at which these broadcasts are made, who is making them, which agencies are repeating them, the content of the broadcast, etc.

FLANO

AZ DB Administrator
Database Admin
Yes, there are daily reports, I believe starting around 9am rotating through different areas of the state, so depending upon where you are, your time to hear these transmissions would be different to another area of the state.

Plug in the "stateland" channels, 1 through 4 and you should hear not only the daily weather forecast for the areas around you, but also any fire-fighting assets which are available.

State Land Department Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

V

VGSMC_8520

Thanks for jogging my memory - the state land frequencies was were my scanner seemed to land around 9 AM and I'd hear those broadcasts.

SCPD

QRT
Take a look at this web page:

National Weather Service - NWS Phoenix

All the agencies get their weather forecasts from the National Weather Service (NWS) and this page allows you to access what the agencies use. You can get these forecasts from each NWS office. On the website of each NWS forecast office is brought up, take a look at the index on the left side of the page. Under the yellow "Forecasts" header is a link labeled "Fire Weather."

I like to look at the fire weather forecast because they provide a concise synopsis of the weather situation. I like to know if precipitation is due to a cold front or monsoonal moisture and other similar details, but I don't have time for a lot of detail. The narrative at the top of the forecast page contains this discussion.

The Tonto National Forest, as is the procedure with all National Forests in the country, usually transmit these same forecasts (word for word) between 1000 to 1100 each morning and around 4 in the afternoon. Some National Forests broadcast the National Incident Management Situation Report sometime in the morning which is available here:

http://www.nifc.gov/nicc/sitreprt.pdf

Another good place to find a large amount of information about wildland fire is at this page:

National Geographic Area Coordination Center Website Portal

If you have time to explore this website you can visit the site of each Geographical Area Coordination Center and find maps of fuel moisture conditions, precipitation and fire danger. I visit the fuel moisture conditions daily from about March to November and a couple of times per week December through February. Fuel moisture, especially that in what is called the "1000 Hour Fuels" and the "Energy Release Component" predict the seriousness of the potential for fires escaping initial attack. I won't give you the links for each of these as you may not want to spend a lot of time with these details. If you are interested the links I placed here are the best place to start.

If you are interested in more detailed reports of federal wildland fires the InciWeb website is the best place to visit. Here is that link:

InciWeb the Incident Information System: Current Incidents

I hope this information helps.

rwier

Hi Exsmokey,

I'll probably get some demerits for "off topic", but I just have to say: That's an excellent, well formatted, information rich response.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.