PCWIN Tucson

Status
Not open for further replies.

tlefkowitz

Premium Subscriber
Hi All

Can anyone tell me if all voice on Tucson PCWIN system is encrypted?

Todd

JPSan

It's a Motorola P25 Phase II system and essentially UNencrypted system county wide.

So, it will require a newer digital scanner. In case you don't have one here is what is available.

Uniden : BCD436HP, BCD536HP, BCD996P2 and Home Patrol 2

Whistler : WS1080, WS1095

GRE : PSR 800

Radio Shack : Pro 668

DanRollman

Database Admin
Hi All

Can anyone tell me if all voice on Tucson PCWIN system is encrypted?

Todd

Few PCWIN talkgroups are encrypted. It is mostly "in the clear," although today's crappy consumer-grade digital scanners (around $500) have trouble receiving simulcast Phase II systems (PCWIN) very clearly, so you'll want to moderate your expectations in terms of signal clarity.

For reliable and clear digital decoding, you'd need to use a (much) more expensive commercial Phase II radio that is capable of being programmed as a true receive-only (e.g. does not try to affiliate with the system) radio like the Relm BK KNG-P800, which will run you close to $2,000 but sounds absolutely terrific on PCWIN.

Dan

tlefkowitz

Premium Subscriber
Thanks, Dan

I appreciate your informative comments..I think I'll hold on to my $$$ for a while :)

Todd

KB7MIB

Isn't Uniden's BCD325P2 handheld also Phase II capable? It's the handheld version of the BCD996P2.

John
Peoria

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
Don't forget about OP25! I'm using it to monitor PCWIN and the decode quality puts my 436HP to absolute shame. If you've got a spare computer you don't mind having Linux on (or you can dual boot) and $75-$50 you can spend on a decent SDR dongle, you can monitor PCWIN flawlessly with OP25. I love it because it has given me a second phase 2 capable "scanner" for less than the price of most analog units, (not counting the cost of the dedicated computer I've purchased for it ;)).

-AZ

tlefkowitz

Premium Subscriber
OP25

As a matter of fact, I have bought an SSD for my Win7 PC and will install Linux on it in prparation for OP25

Thx
Todd

kd7eir

OP25/GNURadio runs quite well on a Raspberry Pi 2 with the Jessie release of Debian, making it even cheaper to use.

verhoffj1

Premium Subscriber
RELM/BK KNG-P800

Few PCWIN talkgroups are encrypted. It is mostly "in the clear," although today's crappy consumer-grade digital scanners (around $500) have trouble receiving simulcast Phase II systems (PCWIN) very clearly, so you'll want to moderate your expectations in terms of signal clarity.

For reliable and clear digital decoding, you'd need to use a (much) more expensive commercial Phase II radio that is capable of being programmed as a true receive-only (e.g. does not try to affiliate with the system) radio like the Relm BK KNG-P800, which will run you close to $2,000 but sounds absolutely terrific on PCWIN.

Dan

So how is the programming for the RELM/BK KNG-P800 and where do you suggest I buy one at? My Area is using Project 25 Phase II TDMA modulation. Any feedback would be appreciated.

waynedc

Premium Subscriber
KNG-P800 available...

If anyone in AZ is interested in a BK KNG-P800 with all accessories, please let me know. I can provide some programming for the RWC/TOPAZ or PCWIN systems as needed. The programming cable will need to be purchased separately.

Status
Not open for further replies.